Who's your top 3 opponents (players) you saw against us at Hillsborough?

Liam brady probably the best player in English football at the time

owen unbelievable how good he was at that age would have broken England goalscoring record by a mile but for injuries 

gazza the best player I've ever seen live a genius who played the game like a school kid if he had a brain could have been the best player ever 

21 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Tony Coleman in the Manchester City relegation match in 1970.

A packed crowd against an indifferent Man City squad until Coleman got involved and he not only beat us single handedly that soaking wet night but he also sent us into the doldrums for the next decade and a half.

Never have so many been destroyed by so few, etc.

Looks like your memory is playing tricks on you. I think you will find that Tony Coleman played for Wednesday that night and actually scored our goal. It was Bowyer who came off the bench for City to score both their goals.

On 15/05/2018 at 08:11, Mr Farrell said:

John Sheridan for Oldham, Paul Canoville for Chelsea, and Ian Wright for Arsenal.

I remember the Oldham game when Sheridan bossed the game without leaving the centre circle.

Remember us playing QPR when Peter crouch was there around 2000/01. Scored a hatrick against us. We just couldn't handle him.

Likewise Jordan Rhodes for Huddersfield.

Ashley Westwood caused us alot of problems every time he played for us. 

Edited by poite
  • Haha 1

Don Givens for Luton in a 1-5 win. Malcolm McDonald got a hattrick and Givens made all for him and scored the other two

Duncan McKenzie for Forest same period in the early 70s - looked a cross between Pele and Best 

Brian McCLair for Man Utd - Game changer in two matches.

Lewis Grabban tore us to shreds for Bournemouth a few years ago just before Christmas when SG was in charge, think he was still caretaker at the time. 

Jota was a class above for Brentford the season after, the sandpit of a pitch meant that we managed to beat them 1-0 but he was miles better than anybody else on the pitch.

15 minutes ago, Captain30 said:

Don Givens for Luton in a 1-5 win. Malcolm McDonald got a hattrick and Givens made all for him and scored the other two

Duncan McKenzie for Forest same period in the early 70s - looked a cross between Pele and Best 

Brian McCLair for Man Utd - Game changer in two matches.

Funny you'd should mention Don Givens on OT.He's a absolute legend in the way he'd sent the Snortbeasts crashing into Div 4 in 1981.lollollol

11 hours ago, millo said:

Looks like your memory is playing tricks on you. I think you will find that Tony Coleman played for Wednesday that night and actually scored our goal. It was Bowyer who came off the bench for City to score both their goals.

You are correct! It was Ian Bowyer, of course!

Neville Southall - always had a blinder against us for Everton.

Uwe Rosler - remember him destroying us late 80s for Man City.

Ilie Dumitrescu - best player on the pitch in the game when Klinsmann got the glory. The only player I've ever seen apart from Waddle to completely dictate a game. 

Edited by wednesdaylander

Guest Bulgaria
19 hours ago, poite said:

Remember us playing QPR when Peter crouch was there around 2000/01. Scored a hatrick against us. We just couldn't handle him.

Likewise Jordan Rhodes for Huddersfield.

Ashley Westwood caused us alot of problems every time he played for us. 

That Peter crouch game also sticks in my mind. Unplayable.

Another one that is clear was away at West ham. John Hartson bagged a hatrick. He was immense.

Think we lost 5-0

On 14/05/2018 at 19:49, @owlstalk said:

Out of all the players in all the teams that have played us at Hillsborough who have been your top 3 (scoring them on their performances against us - NOT reputation)

Pele, (the first Santos game) George Best, Michael Owen.

Ruud Gullit - For me this was the real start of the Premier League becoming a force in world football. I'd seen big name players like Ian Wright and John Barnes before but here was a genuine megastar fifty yards away from me playing against my team. He was so effortless in that game, he probably didn't even need to shower afterwards. Genuine class.

Stan Collymore and Bryan Roy - The 1-7 game. Absolutely put us to the sword. The game was over after about fifteen minutes. It was a matter of keeping them under double figures.