Who's your top 3 opponents (players) you saw against us at Hillsborough?

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Out of all the players in all the teams that have played us at Hillsborough who have been your top 3 (scoring them on their performances against us - NOT reputation)

Jay Hemroyd caused us some reyt problems, but he did have a Wednesday shirt on, does that count? 

1 hour ago, richowl said:

Owen stands out by a distance for me (hat trick)

That performance was excellent

Klinsmann - you know he was going to sore.  Any of the Everton team from the mid eighty's. 

Gazza, Wright, Henry, Shearer, there's a lot to be fair. 

4 minutes ago, WadsleyOwl said:

John Barnes for Liverpool late 80’s him and Beardsley absolutely destroyed us, that’s my No1 stand out performance. 

Owens hat-trick frightening for a 18year old.

Cantona in the 3-3 draw / Kanchelskis in the LC Semi. 

Yes Barnes was excellent when they beat us 5-1. I think it was the week before the semi-final. Neville Southall always had a stormed against us and Micheal Owen was superb when he got that hat trick.

One of the really critical "what ifs" was Howard Kendall pinching Peter Reid off us after it seemed JC had done the deal with Bolton. He was considered a good player with dodgy knees which is why it looked as though no top club would buy him. Always wondered how far we might have gone with him in mid-field. 

I would definitely say bernabia who absolutely destroyed us that day.

Some not mentioned.

andy leaning , the Bristol keeper when we beat them to get promoted who only stopped it being a cricket score.

paolo wanchope who murdered our defence in the 5-2 loss vs derby

a random Norwich striker called David Nielsen who looked like a world beater when they beat us 5 0 under taffy.

I thought Tammy Abraham was like drogba for Bristol last season, looked nearly unplayable against us .

John Barnes for Liverpool in 1988. They won 5-1 and in all honesty it could have been double figures.

Craig Johnston played that day too and had an absolute stormer. Thinking about it, I don't think he ever got the credit he deserved over his career with Liverpool. Top player.

4 hours ago, Wakefield owl said:

We actually had a virus in the squad in the week before that game. Pearson should never have played and if I remember rightly he was taken off at half time.

Yep, remember Pearson after literally 5 minutes bent double gasping for air after a 10 yard run. Really shouldn't praise any opposition that day without the asterisk...

Anyway, to bring the thread more up to date, how about an 18 year old Tammy Abraham playing on loan for Bristol City and terrorising our 2 experienced central defenders?? 

Edited by Almat

Remember north stand giving kanchelskis an ovation after a hatrick.

Collymore scored hatrick for forest 

Ogrizovic the coventry keeper scored vs hodge and saved everything, southall had stormers too

Missed the Owen game so......... high profile ones

Jurgen Klinnsman

Stan Collymore

Paul Gascoigne

Less well known

Brian Little......................ripped us a new one the night Villa got promoted at Hillsborough

Mark Draper , mid 90,s for Leicester , looked like Iniesta that day

Ian Crook , Norwich ditto.