Ben Hughes signs first pro deal

2 minutes ago, MrTacoSWFC said:

We aren't messing about signing these young lads up are we! It's nice to see that the hard work is really giving something for young players and fans to look forward too in the future.

Worth more under contract 

3 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Its fantastic to see our academy finally working and producing quality players who are coming through into the first team. 

Good luck Ben  

Probably thanks to Dave Jones

The real change with the academy is that Jos isn't afraid to throw them into first team action which is brilliant. Huge motivational impact not just on the players currently in the academy , but also for prospects looking at Wednesday as an option.

If we can bring one or two players through each year, it will be very exciting times ahead indeed.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Watson said:

Do we normally sign so many youngsters at this time of year?

Out of every intake of scholars we would normally sign three or four as pro so pretty standard.  Out of the 2016-2018 scholars who have now finished their two years we have signed Jordan Lonchar, Ben Hughes, Joe West and Ciaran Brennan and Alex Hunt.  Surely Borukov has been offered a contract as well so it has been a good year. The others we are seeing sign new deals like Dan Wallis, Jack Lee, Ash Baker, Warren Clarke were already pros.  These deals normally don't get publicised as much on the website and press but the youth are being taken more seriously it seems now.

Its good news the youngsters who are committing themselves to the club. However it may just be a sign that Wednesday are having to take this route as a result of the cupboard being bare as well. I think there will be more reliance on these youngsters with the odd loan player thrown in for good measure. Money signings for the time being might be on hold for the time being. 

I'd rather see youngsters being signed than being linked with some 'experienced' ex PL player on the way down and looking for one last big pay day.

Not all the youngsters may go on to play for the first team but it will certainly be a spur to the rest to see opportunities becoming available within the club.

While this certainly seems a good thing, some perspective may be in order.

It's unlikely that Hughes will get near the first team in the next season, maybe the next two.

While it's true that Jos has been willing to use academy players, he has tended to do so when forced. The strong upturn coincided with being able to use fewer academy players.

Thorniley has been the most used (I think) and he has done well, but wouldn't have been in our top three central defenders.

Clare is the one who has most impressed, but he is almost 22. (And his missing the final two months reminds us that injuries can strike any player at any age).

Baker had a very good debut, and on the other side of the pitch everyone has high hopes for Penney, but it was disappointing to see the Mansfield loan yield so few games.

Like others I like to see good young players coming through, but it's not likely that the current academy crop will be able to contribute hugely to that next season

6 hours ago, CLswfc said:

Its good news the youngsters who are committing themselves to the club. However it may just be a sign that Wednesday are having to take this route as a result of the cupboard being bare as well. I think there will be more reliance on these youngsters with the odd loan player thrown in for good measure. Money signings for the time being might be on hold for the time being. 

To be fair it makes tremendous buisnes sense, along with using loans especially quality ones if we can get them. The problem under Carlos was we were signing old crocks who's clubs had already deemed them surplus to requirements or no longer up to Premier league standard on long contracts to try get promoted even though we would also find they're not good enough if we did and couldn't move them on.. 

I agree the way forward is youth and signing younger players to try and improve them, so even if they don't make the grade we can move them on with a profit rather than our usual loss. 

Jordan Lonchar seems to have had a disappointing season. I don't get to see the U18s really but did see glimpses of him in 2016/17 And he looked a real talent. As good as Hirst. But seems to have done nothing last season and not caught Jos' eye. Anyone know the problem? He been injured?

1 hour ago, dfoster said:

Jordan Lonchar seems to have had a disappointing season. I don't get to see the U18s really but did see glimpses of him in 2016/17 And he looked a real talent. As good as Hirst. But seems to have done nothing last season and not caught Jos' eye. Anyone know the problem? He been injured?

He was out for a few weeks early in the season but towards the end of the season he seemed to becoming regular in the U23s.