Fernando Forestieri

I’ve read a few posts suggesting we should cash in, and invest in 2 or 3 new players

We absolutely shouldn’t in my opinion, he is essential to any hopes we have of getting to the Premier League Without Forestieri, we are just a well organised upper mid table side He has made a huge difference to our fortunes, since his return 

Next season, we need to build the side around him The good thing for me is, that Jos seems to be doing exactly this, playing him with players who are on the same wavelength Utilising players like Joao and Nuhiu, who are both clever players with the technical ability to sinc with the Argentinian We need to recruit more of these type of players, and stop trying to mix and match with these championship hardened players It won’t work, they are too limited as footballers

Im old enough to remember, in previous times, when we had DiCanio and Carbone, and we tried to link them with the likes of Andy Booth Nobody else in that side was on the same wavelength, and all the Italians could do, was pass to each other 

I’d rather us bring in 2 or 3 quality loanees, who could go straight into the side, than try and raise the money to buy a similar amount of journeymen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Guest wilyfox

I really hope we keep him, but I suspect there will be interest in him from above. Test will be whether that turns his head again. At 28, if the chance of prem football comes his way, he'll probably want to take it. 

1 minute ago, fred mciver said:

Nuts. Southampton cashed in on Van Dyke and nearly cost 'em £150 million.

Deal should be top 5 at Xmas and stay with us, or we will flog you to highest after.  

The deal should be,you signed a new contract,you'll honour it.

9 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

On that basis, Carlos should still be with us.

Clearly, a departure has to be for both club and player benefit - next year at earliest.

Not quite the same thing is it,players have a transfer value (maybe bringing multi millions into the club)managers don't,managers leave their position of there own free wish.

Edited by BARMYARMY2010

Agree with OP. To me Bannan and Forestieri are our two best players by quite some distance.

Whilst the other players deserve some credit, Nuhiu in particular. I don't think our last 10 games would have been any different to the rest of this awful season.

Must do all we can to keep them both here and fit. Otherwise I can't see next season being any different. 

People have said we need to cash in on Bannan, Forestieri etc.

These are two of our most influential players and will play a huge part if we are to challenge next season. We NEED to keep hold of them. Let's just hope things aren't that bad that we need to sell them.

We have a manager who seems to understand Fernando’s best role. In which case I strongly hope he stays.

Had Carlos still been here, and still seen him as a striker, I'd sell him in a heartbeat. 

I disagree reed with you guru that he is the difference, or that we should build around him, or anyone for that matter. But motivated (which he seems to be) and played not as a centre-forward (as Jos seems to agree) he is one of our most important 3 or 4 players, alongside Lees, Bannan and Reach imo.

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

We have a manager who seems to understand Fernando’s best role. In which case I strongly hope he stays.

Had Carlos still been here, and still seen him as a striker, I'd sell him in a heartbeat. 

I disagree reed with you guru that he is the difference, or that we should build around him, or anyone for that matter. But motivated (which he seems to be) and played not as a centre-forward (as Jos seems to agree) he is one of our most important 3 or 4 players, alongside Lees, Bannan and Reach imo.

I didn’t mean it to sound disrespectful to the other players, after all, it’s a team game However, I liken it to the Messi situation at Barcelona He is surrounded by world class players, but without the Argentinian, they are not the same team 

Clearly, Fernando is the catalyst to all of our attacking ambitions, and to everything that  gets us off our seats

47 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’ve read a few posts suggesting we should cash in, and invest in 2 or 3 new players

We absolutely shouldn’t in my opinion, he is essential to any hopes we have of getting to the Premier League Without Forestieri, we are just a well organised upper mid table side He has made a huge difference to our fortunes, since his return 

Next season, we need to build the side around him The good thing for me is, that Jos seems to be doing exactly this, playing him with players who are on the same wavelength Utilising players like Joao and Nuhiu, who are both clever players with the technical ability to sinc with the Argentinian We need to recruit more of these type of players, and stop trying to mix and match with these championship hardened players It won’t work, they are too limited as footballers

Im old enough to remember, in previous times, when we had DiCanio and Carbone, and we tried to link them with the likes of Andy Booth Nobody else in that side was on the same wavelength, and all the Italians could do, was pass to each other 

I’d rather us bring in 2 or 3 quality loanees, who could go straight into the side, than try and raise the money to buy a similar amount of journeymen

You don't build a side around a player as temperamental as FF. If he gets one of his strops on your season is down the pan. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he would but why take the chance. I know he is one of the best players in the Championship but what happens if he gets another bad injury? We'd be screwed.

We need to build a team that can be competitive with or without him and then he can be the extra dimension that can make us great.

Whatever people say we are not the finished article, we've got a brittleness about us that needs sorting. If other teams want to play football we can match them (most times) but we aren't great if the opposition rough us up and close us down. Hopefully Jos can work on the mental attitude of the players but we still need a bit of steel.

If we build the team around Bannan and Fernando next season and they stay fit all season we have a great chance.

Remember Fernando has been playing with an injury for a long long time. It's no wonder he didn't seem as good during Carlos second season (especially the playoffs).

We will see him back to his best next season and I can't wait to see him rip the pigs apart.

2 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

I would want to keep FF and build the team around him. However if an offer came in that we couldnt afford to turn down came in then he would have to be sold, the bidding would need to start at 20 million.

Why, oh why, are there so many Wednesday supporters who are so obsessed with MONEY. If we get or develop a good player, and somebody comes in with a few quid, must we always be thinking of selling Everybdy seems to be frightened to death of FFP.  Surely, shod we stat to fall foul ofthe Rules, the first punishment would be to stop us buying players. Were this to happen, we would be unable to buy players until our selling had wiped out oir debt. Therefore the best idea is to keep the players we have, and carry on.

FFP aside, as soon as we get a half-decent player, the cry goes up 'sell'. It annoys the sh8t out of me.

8 minutes ago, prowl said:

You don't build a side around a player as temperamental as FF. If he gets one of his strops on your season is down the pan. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he would but why take the chance. I know he is one of the best players in the Championship but what happens if he gets another bad injury? We'd be screwed.

We need to build a team that can be competitive with or without him and then he can be the extra dimension that can make us great.

Whatever people say we are not the finished article, we've got a brittleness about us that needs sorting. If other teams want to play football we can match them (most times) but we aren't great if the opposition rough us up and close us down. Hopefully Jos can work on the mental attitude of the players but we still need a bit of steel.

Don’t disagree with most of that Quite often players of Forestieri’s ilk, can be temperamental 

Your point about our brittleness rings true, and we will need to strengthen certain areas We do seem to have a coach who can tighten that up with work on the training ground

I don’t see Fernando as an icing on the cake type of player For me, he is integral to the way we play

58 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

totally totally agree ....the more i think of the Joao, Nuhiu, Foristieri combo , the more excited i get , wasnt sure how it would work prior to seeing them against Norwich , But it does , and with Bannan , Reach and A n other wing back linking up with them we have attacking options , yes its not the finished article and sometimes the little flicks dont come off and we waste possession but we do it while pursuing attacking intent and when it does come off more often than not its a joy to watch , my interest is in if Jos sticks with this formation as ( i beleive both hooper and fletcher could fit into this system)  and how he develops and moulds the remaining players to bring the best out of this front 3