Can anyone name the M squad who worked with Alan Brown in the 1960s at SWFC

11 hours ago, Davetherave said:

Was it Lawrie MacMenemy and Ian MacKechnie ... those names ring a bell but will need clarification by our older Owls

Ian McKechnie was goalie for Hull City at that time.

I think the other one was Jack Marshall who was Alan Brown's assistant manager and who became manager when Brown left.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

lawrie mcmenemy , ian  McFarlane & jack  marshall .....

The M squad,Lawrie left to manage Donny rovers and got them promoted,ian Mcfarlane followed Brown back to Sunderland,ironically both were front runners for Browns job when he got the boot at sunderland in the early 70s,but Bob Stokoe got it....Jolly Jack took over from Brown when he left us,half the side put transfer requests in and were bemused by his tactics,to be fair it was a season ravaged by injury,and he was frustrated in the transfer market.He lost out on both Allan Clarke & Barry Lyons,Clarkes price rose beyond 100K and we pulled out,Lyons chose to stay at Forest once the bid had been accepted,The board failed to back a move for Archie Gemmill at preston due to his disciplinary record & Rotherham rebuked a 20K offer for Dave Watson,who at that time was a striker who occasionally played CB,and asked us to up the offer.Jacks contract wasnt renewed and the slide to oblivion began the following season with the appointment of Danny Williams

• Like 2

17 hours ago, torryowl said:

marshall wasn't very good but strangely the greatest game I've ever seen and the best performance by a Wednesday side both came with him in charge . 

Jack got the job on a caretaker basis when brown went back to sunderland,we didnt rip up any trees,but he convinced them into giving him a season.

We went 4-2-4,but just didnt have the players that suited that formation,it was bizare.

Yet we tonked man utd 5-4 after being 4-2 down,we hammered Leeds in the cup,but for 20 minutes in the first game we only had Ritchies goal to show,the replay at elland rd we dominated the game despite Johansens early goal,bremner limped off after 10 minutes and leeds could have lost by a FAR greater margin.

Jack became frustrated quite early into his reign,the move for Clake was pivotal to his plan,hed wanted the club to sign the out of favour alan hinton at forest the season before he took over,but the board baulked at the 30k asking price,forest even offered to lower the price,if they could take Gerry Young,but Brown wouldnt let Young leave anyhow,then Hinton got injured in the reserves and the deal died.

7 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Jack got the job on a caretaker basis when brown went back to sunderland,we didnt rip up any trees,but he convinced them into giving him a season.

We went 4-2-4,but just didnt have the players that suited that formation,it was bizare.

Yet we tonked man utd 5-4 after being 4-2 down,we hammered Leeds in the cup,but for 20 minutes in the first game we only had Ritchies goal to show,the replay at elland rd we dominated the game despite Johansens early goal,bremner limped off after 10 minutes and leeds could have lost by a FAR greater margin.

Jack became frustrated quite early into his reign,the move for Clake was pivotal to his plan,hed wanted the club to sign the out of favour alan hinton at forest the season before he took over,but the board baulked at the 30k asking price,forest even offered to lower the price,if they could take Gerry Young,but Brown wouldnt let Young leave anyhow,then Hinton got injured in the reserves and the deal died.

sounds about right for the board we had at the time .....think I read somewhere that jolly jack never swore ,he certainly wasn't the strongest of managers and i'd guess he'd let eric taylor ride roughshod over him so was probably an impossible job .....think i'm right in saying the few good players we had handed in transfer requests with jack at the helm due to there disillusionment with how the club was going backwards .the clown that followed him though was far far worse . 

On 11/05/2018 at 23:50, legendaryswan said:

The M squad,Lawrie left to manage Donny rovers and got them promoted,ian Mcfarlane followed Brown back to Sunderland,ironically both were front runners for Browns job when he got the boot at sunderland in the early 70s,but Bob Stokoe got it....Jolly Jack took over from Brown when he left us,half the side put transfer requests in and were bemused by his tactics,to be fair it was a season ravaged by injury,and he was frustrated in the transfer market.He lost out on both Allan Clarke & Barry Lyons,Clarkes price rose beyond 100K and we pulled out,Lyons chose to stay at Forest once the bid had been accepted,The board failed to back a move for Archie Gemmill at preston due to his disciplinary record & Rotherham rebuked a 20K offer for Dave Watson,who at that time was a striker who occasionally played CB,and asked us to up the offer.Jacks contract wasnt renewed and the slide to oblivion began the following season with the appointment of Danny Williams

Theres some quality players in there. What could have been!

• Like 1

On 13/05/2018 at 08:40, torryowl said:

sounds about right for the board we had at the time .....think I read somewhere that jolly jack never swore ,he certainly wasn't the strongest of managers and i'd guess he'd let eric taylor ride roughshod over him so was probably an impossible job .....think i'm right in saying the few good players we had handed in transfer requests with jack at the helm due to there disillusionment with how the club was going backwards .the clown that followed him though was far far worse . 

I supported them through those times yet the stuff that you and the legendary swan have posted is fascinating and a lot of club history I’ve never heard before 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

I supported them through those times yet the stuff that you and the legendary swan have posted is fascinating and a lot of club history I’ve never heard before 

Another snippet  for you which I only found a couple of months ago  , marshall wanted to sign jimmy greenhoff from brum and brum fancied mccalliog and some sort of swap deal was agreed but mccalliog wouldnt play ball as brum were in the 2nd division .

• Like 1