#SWFC don't need to go mad.

The signing of Abdi got me truly excited. 

But he is one of the worst flops we have had. 

I just wish he had a bit of fight in him. Where is the player the Watford fans saw? Massive shame but also a massive lesson. 

'proven' players are as much of a risk as unproven players. Especially ones who are after a retirement contract. 

Players like waddle are probably the exception to this rule. 

1 minute ago, Beholder said:

The signing of Abdi got me truly excited. 

But he is one of the worst flops we have had. 

I just wish he had a bit of fight in him. Where is the player the Watford fans saw? Massive shame but also a massive lesson. 

'proven' players are as much of a risk as unproven players. Especially ones who are after a retirement contract. 

Players like waddle are probably the exception to this rule. 

Agree, it is so difficult recruiting players. That's why it is necessary to do lots of research not just on their footballing ability, but on the character of the player and speaking to people that know them and finding out what makes them tick. As you say some players want an easy ride, and to pick up some fat wages every week and not do a lot. A shrewd manager will do their homework properly. Look at teams like Burnley. Dyche cannot carry anyone and he doesn't he recruits the right players first time mostly, and that's what we have to do moving forward. We have to learn from our mistakes.

Venancio plus two quality, clearly first team signings would be enough for me.

1x combative central midfielder

1x right wing back

The former I think we've needed for the entire time Chansiri has been here, and I think we need to seriously bolster the midfield. I wouldn't be convinced that we should even factor Hutchinson or Lee into proceedings too much until both are proven fit.

A right wing back with similar energy to Reach would go a hell of a long way for us. 

I think we are more than comfortable at the back and upfront if we can keep players fit. 

2 hours ago, Walt said:

Tar.

So we would pay £6 million off straight away. The purchasing club would give us £2 million towards this now and £4 million over the next two years. Then you have to factor in the saving of circa £2 million per year in wages.

At present Rhodes cost us £8 million for the transfer fee over four years and (a guesstimated) £8 million in wages over the four years = £16 million over 4 x years.

I suppose the club needs Rhodes to come good or he’s going to cost us big time, either that or take the hit now if someone was willing to pay circa £6 million for him.

Yep, unfortunately, the legacy of this disastrous piece of business will live on for years. Just shows the importance of making the right signings. But this was a monster purchase at 10 million and the reported wages too. Serious mismanagement all round. 

And that's not even mentioning the facts that he isn't actually any good and we didn't actually need another striker at the time.

13 minutes ago, Sticky belly said:

Agree, it is so difficult recruiting players. That's why it is necessary to do lots of research not just on their footballing ability, but on the character of the player and speaking to people that know them and finding out what makes them tick. As you say some players want an easy ride, and to pick up some fat wages every week and not do a lot. A shrewd manager will do their homework properly. Look at teams like Burnley. Dyche cannot carry anyone and he doesn't he recruits the right players first time mostly, and that's what we have to do moving forward. We have to learn from our mistakes.

As Jos has experience in getting teams promoted you’d feel he knows about squad sizes and keeping players happy. He’s already impressed us with how everyone seems to be involved or given a chance. 

I think he will focus more on quality than quantity. Carlos seemed to be the opposite 

9 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Sometimes it is sensible for an organisation to cut it's losses.

If a bank recognises it's not going to recoup its investment, often it will write it off.

This is an investment that hasn't worked out, and that is being kind to the player.

so instantly becoming £4M out of pocket is cutting your losses, I'm glad Chansiri has control and not some on here.

58 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Some you win, some you lose. Try and look at the bigger picture.

Yes, the bigger picture that doing what you said would mean the £9m we can lose next season would become £5m. Makes no sense whatsoever and like I said, thank god Chansiri makes the decisions not you

We are going to be ok ..

We are going in the right direction ..

Most teams in the championship would have  hated to play us towards the end of the season ...

And we still aren't firing on all cylinders !!

Look forward to seeing how we are with a good  break and a few tweaks here n there ..

It's time to trust this bloke 

And trust what we have , not really got a choice have we ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Owling Wolfe said:

Yes, the bigger picture that doing what you said would mean the £9m we can lose next season would become £5m. Makes no sense whatsoever and like I said, thank god Chansiri makes the decisions not you

Chansiri, who sanctioned the signing of Abdi, the contract extension of Hutchinson, increased wages for a player who 2 months earlier refused to play.

Gave a new contract to a manager who threw away the play offs.

A chairman who told fans they could stay away. 

Question for you: Did Chansiri build his empire or did he inherit it ?

Another one, name a player that Chansiri has bought and sold at a higher price. Name a player that Chansiri has sold.

He bought Winnall for 500k, excellent business, but his eyes were bigger than his belly, and in the same transfer window bought Rhodes. 

Two strikers who thrive on service, one in form, one who couldn't get in a Boro side who were bereft of goals.

And here we are.

You might be thanking god I'm not running Wednesday, but at least I know what a profit and loss column looks like.

8 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Chansiri, who sanctioned the signing of Abdi, the contract extension of Hutchinson, increased wages for a player who 2 months earlier refused to play.

Gave a new contract to a manager who threw away the play offs.

A chairman who told fans they could stay away. 

Question for you: Did Chansiri build his empire or did he inherit it ?

Another one, name a player that Chansiri has bought and sold at a higher price. Name a player that Chansiri has sold.

He bought Winnall for 500k, excellent business, but his eyes were bigger than his belly, and in the same transfer window bought Rhodes. 

Two strikers who thrive on service, one in form, one who couldn't get in a Boro side who were bereft of goals.

And here we are.

You might be thanking god I'm not running Wednesday, but at least I know what a profit and loss column looks like.

Well it would appear you dont if you think we can take a £4m loss when we are close to FFP. As for Abdi, he was one of Watfords better players the season before we bought him and unfortunately crystal balls aren't readily available on ebay these days. As for buying and selling, well that remains to be seen.

39 minutes ago, Owling Wolfe said:

Well it would appear you dont if you think we can take a £4m loss when we are close to FFP. As for Abdi, he was one of Watfords better players the season before we bought him and unfortunately crystal balls aren't readily available on ebay these days. As for buying and selling, well that remains to be seen.

Why would it be a £4m loss, we'd be saving £2m for the coming season in his wages, surely making it a £2m loss instead on those accounts. 

That's if we could get £6m for him which I doubt anyway. 

1 hour ago, Owling Wolfe said:

It says it all that you haven't answered the questions I put to you.

"as for buying and selling, that remains to be seen" - he's been here 3 years and there is no selling. No sales. 

But there's plenty of contracts for aged players with little resale value.

Lest we forget Urby, reputedly on high wages. The lad didn't fit in so he pays best part of a million for fox.

You're hanging your hat on Rhodes, but can't see anything else. There's none so blind those who will not see. 

15 hours ago, Owling Wolfe said:

so instantly becoming £4M out of pocket is cutting your losses, I'm glad Chansiri has control and not some on here.

Thing is Rhodes is going to cost us in the region of £16 million over the length of his contract.

If someone put up £6 Million for him we’d lose £2 million plus the wages he’s cost us. Ok the terms of FFP may skew the short term figures and put us in or near the poo but thinking about shelling out £16 million on what I’ve seen from him, Jesus weapt! I hope someone down there can sort this poo out.

45 minutes ago, Walt said:

Thing is Rhodes is going to cost us in the region of £16 million over the length of his contract.

If someone put up £6 Million for him we’d lose £2 million plus the wages he’s cost us. Ok the terms of FFP may skew the short term figures and put us in or near the poo but thinking about shelling out £16 million on what I’ve seen from him, Jesus weapt! I hope someone down there can sort this poo out.

Long term planning, I'm all for that. 

PS , are you the Walt that used to post the sensible stuff on the star site under a similar username ?

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

30 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Long term planning, I'm all for that. 

PS , are you the Walt that used to post the sensible stuff on the star site under a similar username ?

No mate, I’ve got all on to tie mi shoe laces in a morning never mind posting sensible stuff.

6 hours ago, RichieB said:

Why would it be a £4m loss, we'd be saving £2m for the coming season in his wages, surely making it a £2m loss instead on those accounts. 

That's if we could get £6m for him which I doubt anyway. 

I really can't be arsed going over this again but if you look at my previous posts you will see you are wrong.

5 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

It says it all that you haven't answered the questions I put to you.

"as for buying and selling, that remains to be seen" - he's been here 3 years and there is no selling. No sales. 

But there's plenty of contracts for aged players with little resale value.

Lest we forget Urby, reputedly on high wages. The lad didn't fit in so he pays best part of a million for fox.

You're hanging your hat on Rhodes, but can't see anything else. There's none so blind those who will not see. 

Hold on a minute, where have I said I'm hanging my hat on Rhodes. Im afraid you are assuming too much there old love. I wish there was a way to move him on, but sadly I see the reality of it all and it is not financially viable for us being so close to FFP sanctions.

5 hours ago, Walt said:

I totally agree with what you have written, sadly the FFP thing is not going to get better if we sell him. For me it was a waste of money for a striker we didn't really need.

7 hours ago, Owling Wolfe said:

Hold on a minute, where have I said I'm hanging my hat on Rhodes. Im afraid you are assuming too much there old love. I wish there was a way to move him on, but sadly I see the reality of it all and it is not financially viable for us being so close to FFP sanctions.

Again, no answers to questions put to you.

Youve banged on about FFP & Rhodes, as if Rhodes is the only factor.

There's none so blind. I've never used that phrase, 'til I came across  you, my old love.