#SWFC don't need to go mad.

3 minutes ago, Walt said:

Don't agree. Pace and Championship ability needn't cost a fortune. 

I don't mean to be argumentative but we need a bit better than championship ability if we wanna go up.

I just think many of the players of promise who have the two together tend to get snapped up by prem clubs.

or -as in the case of Sean Clare and G Hirst- they refuse to sign contracts because they think they will be.

Edited by Beholder

I’m wary that a strong end to season May paper over a few cracks.

We need an aggressive CDM, tall and commanding centre half.  A left wing back and right wing back and some additional pace in a wide forward area. Get that right and I think we’d have a really good mix and be right up there. However it’s unclear how much we can spend and whether anyone is sold. Nonetheless, with a bit of nous we should be able to do it. I think we have invested in quality already but we just need that bit of raw athleticism and aggression which in theory could be a bit cheaper.

8 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

Well said! There's a naive myth about pace. Norwich had Oliveira and Hernandez who are both like sheet off a shovel. And both crap. 

Pace is great secondary attribute in a good player like Sessignon. But that means they are Prem quality and we have very little chance of unearthing one.

Agree we need more energy than some of our thirty plus brigade provide. But fast pacy wingers in a 424, nah them days are well gone.

Sessignon is a great example.

He is one of the few players at this level with both.

and can we afford him? Can we fk.

Edited by Beholder

1 minute ago, Beholder said:

I don't mean to be argumentative but we need a bit better than championship ability if we wanna go up.

I just think many of the players of promise who have the two together tend to get snapped up by prem clubs.

or -as in the case of Sean Clare and G Hirst- they refuse to sign contracts because they think they will be.

No worries mate. Just don't agree that's all. I think Cardiff have proved that you can gain promotion with Championship quality players. They just looked like a well organised balanced Championship side to me. 

6 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Usually, but I think this season has been a bit of an eye opener. Players like Mendez Laing and John Fleck have made the step up well. James Maddison was brought in from Coventry for 1.5m and so on. There are players out there.

Just now, Beholder said:

Sessignon is a great example.

He is one of the few players at this level with both.

and can we afford him? Can we fk.

Probably go for over 20 mil. Adamsa Traore, pacy and probably 15mil plus to the Prem.

44 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Everyone is banging on about pace. 

OK, let's ignore the fact that we have Joao and Fessi in the squad who are both fast in their own way and very good on the counter.. 

What are people expecting? The combo of pace and quality means prem level. 

Pace on its own equals the likes of jj and Helan. Not knocking them but would they get into our team? 

Would Antonio? If yes, where? And could we afford him? 

And as for those suggesting wingers, we don't play wingers. We play wingbacks.

The kind of quality wingback with pace like Kyle walker does not play at this level. 

I think people are imagining players that don't exist at this level or stay here for long. 

Completely agree, quality and pace is too much to ask. But I certainly would love it if we could whack on somebody with afterburners after an hour instead of Jones/Boyd et. al. Helan had his faults but there were quite a few games when just throwing something completely different in was what we needed to nick a goal in a tight game (although he certainly didn't score them himself!). Just a 'change of pace'!

I'd like to see us get a couple of young 'uns in and let them peg it around and try hard if we're struggling. We might even make some money if they turn out to be any good!

1 hour ago, Owling Wolfe said:

To think I got 2 disagrees for that statement, the lack pf knowledge of the transfer pymwnt structure in football amazes me sometimes. 

I wasn't one that disagreed but it depends.

If we paid £8m (various figure have been suggested but just use £8m cos it makes the calculations easier) and signed him on a 4 year deal then we have already written his value down by £2m. If we get more than £6M for him we break even as far as transfer fee effects on FFP are concerned. 

If we hold on to him for another year we need to write his value down by another £2M in the next accounts, so in effect if we sold him this transfer window for £4M, we would have made a loss of £2M which would show in the books but that is the same as we would have had to write him down for anyway.

Could we get £4M for him, I think we could. BUT....

We pay him a good wage (again let's say £40K per week or <>£2m per year. If we sell him this year we won't have to pay him that £2M, so we save that which is positively beneficial in reducing the cost of running the club.

IN effect if we sell him for £4M we will be better off by not having to pay his wages, if we sell him for anything over £2M we are better off but by a diminishing amount, if we sell for less than £2M we are worse off.

Financial year ends can complicate the picture but I think in effect the above is about right. 

Confused?....You soon will be. (You need to be a certain age to get the reference.)

I tend to agree, we do need to make a few moves and it's absolutely critical we get those right as we've got literally no margin for error.

We took our first positive step in the right direction this morning with Atdhe signing. He's big mates with Joao and hopefully, they are now plotting how they can rip this league a new one next season under Jos. There is absolutely no reason why the pair of them can't finish next season in double figures.

I think it would be wrong to think that we don't need much strengthening. Yes, Jos has worked wonders and we should have some positives and momentum to take into next season. But we still desperately lack what we've lacked ever since Wembley, most notably pace and power, but could also do with a bit more creativity. Some of the returning players and youngsters are like new players, as well as Reach and Nuhiu who this past season have looked like new players.

I think it would be a mistake to think that we don't need to trim the squad and to freshen it up because we don't want to be up against it again like last season, plus Jos deserves to be allowed to bring in a few players that suit how he wants to play. All teams can be made better and if we're going to effectively play how Jos wants us too then we need to bring in a few more players suitable to play that way.

I'd be a bit disappointed if we yet again don't bring in some pace and power this summer. We don't need to break the bank, I'm thinking of mostly top flight loanees, out of contract players or scouring the Lower Leagues for some hidden gems. 

21 minutes ago, Walt said:

No worries mate. Just don't agree that's all. I think Cardiff have proved that you can gain promotion with Championship quality players. They just looked like a well organised balanced Championship side to me. 

This ^ 

Much like Cardiff, if we're going to stand any chance of an unlikely promotion, the keys are organisation, balance and effectiveness. That's why we do need to strengthen and bring in a few players that suit how Jos wants to play but also add something we seem to lack, mostly pace and power. If we can be more effective, harder to beat and more direct and ruthless, we might stand a fair chance of being one of next season's dark horses.

4 hours ago, Owling Wolfe said:

Getting rid of Rhodes won't free up money to ease FFP I'm afraid.

Getting rid of Rhodes would reduce the risk of Jos having to shoehorn him into the squad.

It would surely ease the wage bill. He is no longer an asset, just a drain on our finances.

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

The way Jo’s is setting the team up we definitely need more pace in the side. But maybe with a full pre season the pace is there?

how do you inject pace into players who havnt got any . ?

5 hours ago, Beholder said:

Because this squad is already good enough, when fully fit. 

The only position I'd really want to strengthen is rwb but maybe Baker has already staked a claim. 

Anyway, I'm not expecting too much to happen unless we can ship a few out. 

You won't get much better than Hunt for rwb in the championship

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mozzy85 said:

I’m confused why you say cover. Surely the aim is to improve the squad. We get players that are gonna make the aforementioned players, the cover players. 

Either that hat or we will never actually move forwards. 

Because I don't think we are in a financial position to improve on Reach, Hunt, Lees et al....

Need 2 decent in each position.

Keeper: Wildsmith, Dawson, Westwood - Could sell Westwood
LB: Hunt, Baker
CM(3): Lees, Pudil, Venancio, Thornilley, Nielsen, van Aken,  Hutchinson(?)
RB: Reach, NEW

DCM: Pelupessy, Hutchinson, Jones
CM: Bannan, Forestieri, Kirby/Clare/Stobbs(?), NEW
Attack: Dave, Joao, Hooper, Rhodes, Mattias, Fletcher, Winnall, Fletcher - Could sell up to 4

So just 2 new I think.

12 minutes ago, OwlsfaninNorway said:

Need 2 decent in each position.

Keeper: Wildsmith, Dawson, Westwood - Could sell Westwood
LB: Hunt, Baker
CM(3): Lees, Pudil, Venancio, Thornilley, Nielsen, van Aken,  Hutchinson(?)
RB: Reach, NEW

DCM: Pelupessy, Hutchinson, Jones
CM: Bannan, Forestieri, Kirby/Clare/Stobbs(?), NEW
Attack: Dave, Joao, Hooper, Rhodes, Mattias, Fletcher, Winnall, Fletcher - Could sell up to    3

So just 2 new I think.

Fox/Palmer not good enough. Lee/Abdi ??

Edited by OwlsfaninNorway