#SWFC don't need to go mad.

Because this squad is already good enough, when fully fit. 

Obviously it would be good if a few could be offloaded and replaced. 

The likes of Rhodes winnal Fletch Abdi Palmer Fox and maybe Westwood going out would allow for a bit of squad refreshment. 

But even if we went with what we have I'd back Jos to do far better than clueless did. 

The only position I'd really want to strengthen is rwb but maybe Baker has already staked a claim. 

Anyway, I'm not expecting too much to happen unless we can ship a few out. 

Edited by Beholder

I agree that a lot of change is not necessary.

But we must, finally, get someone with pace and a bit of ability to go with it. 

I'd prefer a pacy winger (or wing back) who can cross, but even a pacy centre forward or attacking midfielder would be an improvement. 

Some pace to allow us the option of breaking quickly, (ideally with a physical presence), would help us combat some teams that we struggled with over the last couple of years. Apart from that if everyone can stay fit, we should have plenty of options. Perhaps the good young lads coming through can save us a few quid as defensive back ups with Loovens going.

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

To be fair 3 years have proven this squad isnt good enough. And for the last 2 summers we havent signed that many players in quantity. 

Thought the prevailing wisdom was that we had a top 2 squad held back by 'Clueless'?

44 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

FFP? What's that?  Hasn't bothered Wolves has it? They haven't been sanctioned and they're in the PL next season 

It stands for ‘financial fair play’.

Cheers

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

FFP? What's that?  Hasn't bothered Wolves has it? They haven't been sanctioned and they're in the PL next season 

With FFP going over a three year period, it doesn't matter if you splurge big in one season. Remember, Wolves were the only Championship club to have posted a profit for their finances last year... and they've done it two years in a row! I think you'll find that in FFP terms, they've actually spent a fair bit less than us. Profit making for the first couple of years of accounts coupled with intelligent player sales, and a super-agent willing to negotiate cut-price deals, means they're not in breach and are probably not that near to being so. 

Edited by StudentOwl

still need 4/5 for me considering as we will probably trim another couple.

LWB cover for Reach

RWB cover for Hunt

CB cover for Lees etc.

CMF strong box to box player cover/replace Lee/Hutch

LW we don't have one

Hopefully one or more of the U23's has the ability to step up consistently...

Edited by Fuzzy logics

To a large extent it isn't about what we need, it's about what can Jos get out of what we already have.

When Wilko took over from Big Jack, he didn't make that many changes to the playing side, but he really shook up the system and the way we played and it made all the difference.

• Thanks 1

OP was doing quite well unitl "clueless". Whatever else is true, getting a team to consecutive top six finishes demands some respect.

That is all past.

Results from the last ten games and outcomes from a broadly (broadly) similar set of players do indeed suggest we have a play off squad. To me the most urgent problems remain at wing back (and this would be true for FBs if we played a back four). I am happy with Reach at LWB. There may be better defensive options but the attacking play more than makes up for it. But there is inadequate back up unless Penney comes good (possible). Hunt and Baker doesn't feel quite adequate on the other flank.

• Thanks 1

If Jos gets Hooper, Fletcher, Lee, Westwood and Abdi fit, it will be like having an extra five signings to add to the squad he has had to manage. TBH, I don't think we need to add much more than maybe two or three players. Winnall, clearly wants to go, so let him do so for a decent fee.