ffs Wednesday

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Sorry 

Can I also have selling Antonio for £1.5m and Di Canio for £1.75m

Those are a good call. It's one thing to lose to better teams even disappointingly. It's worse yet to lose big games which really were there to be won. But these car crash off the field idiocies are worse yet.

Add Cantona.

Do not include George Hirst, however. Big clubs are pursuing. We can't compete with them.

On field obvious candidates have been cited. I would add the Yeovil home game Sep 13 when we drew 1-1. It was the first game I could get to that season, and it was the most shockingly insipid performance.

Also Wimbledon away Dec 86. Utterly inept in a 3-0 defeat. The start of a slide that saw us on the fringes of relegation - having earlier in the season looked a good top six prospect.

Stuart Gray's last game: the home defeat to Leeds. So poor. The game that signed his P45

Been watching Wednesday for 40yrs now, there's no way I can narrow it down to a shortlist of 5.

Haven't noticed this one yet though...

Swfc 1 Wrexham 4 (league cup/august 2006)

Wrexham were so crap they finished 19th in league 2 that season, and finished bottom the following season, getting relegated to the conference.

We, of course, made them look like Brazil and I seem to remember thinking the scoreline could've been worse.

Attendance: 8 047

Referee: Neil Swarbrick 

3 hours ago, welsOwl74 said:

you are correct.it should be 1989/1990

what's a decade tho lol

Why?  What happened 89-90 with Man C?   We beat them 2-0 at Hillsbrough. 

Do you mean 69-70 when we lost at home on a windy wet night in front of about 47,000 to lose our place in the top divine?  That really was a miserable night.   

It was forest put us down in 89-90.   

My 5 worst on-field moments:-

1. 1960 semi-final - my first serious disappointment as an Owls fan. Probably had a perfectly good equaliser chalked off too. 74,000 at Maine Road!

2. 1966 cup final - apart from a desperate quarter of an hour we were so good that day.

3. 1970 relegation - Manchester City did everything they could for us - it was obvious we were going to be away from the top division for quite a while.

4. 1983 semi-final -really expected to win that game - it was our first meaningful cup run since 1967. Highbury curse + Blackhall's broken leg at Bolton the Saturday  before - heartbreaking!

5. 1993 cup final replay - Bright's miss & Woods' flap - there was so much at stake(European football and continuing the two year momentum - if you include a Charity Shield victory in 1935 that would have been our 10th major trophy). I think we ran out of centre halves which didn't help. Took months to get over the disappointment - guessed it was the end of the best times.

My worst 5 off-field moments:-

1. Wilkinson walking out to go to Leeds(we were 7th in the First Division - Leeds 22nd out of 24 in Division 2!)

2. Catterick leaving for Everton 

3. Atkinson leaving for Aston Villa

4. The ignominy of the "bribes scandal" 

5. The real worry that the club might fold or at best go into administration before Milan saved us.

I think that's my 60 year supporting of Wednesday in a nutshell but I shall never forget the "thud" when Sheridan scored the winner in the 1991 League Cup Final! Fantastic! 

• Thanks 1

The 4-4 cup game against Chelsea when we were 3-0 up.

Woods fumbling it in the last second of the FA cup final.

Losing 3-0 at home to forest, to go down on goal difference.

Losing in the playoff final.

Various times when I've checked the score 5 mins in to find we are losing.

Here's a few that don't seem to have been mentioned all from the 70's (could easily do a batch for each decade):

1) 0-8 away at Boro' in April '74

2) Conceding the second fastest hat-trick of all time away at Notts County the following season (still managed a 3-3 draw though)

3) Conceding a last minute equaliser away at Brighton in April '76 having led all through the game and not having won away all season.

4) Losing to Darlington 0-1 in the FA Cup again c. '76

5) Losing regularly to Mansfield, Wrexham, Rotherham, Chesterfield, York, Shrewsbury etc. etc. and not just losing, but getting hammered.

1973/74. Losing 8-0 at Middlesbrough. Left at 5-0 it was so embarrassing.

1974/75. Losing 3-0 at York City on a Friday night when the reality of how bad we were that season finally set in

1981/82. Losing 3-1 at Bolton in the penultimate game after promotion had been there for the taking , making the last game with Norwich - who went up - meaningless

1989/90. Losing 0-3 at home to Forest and being relegated when I really thought it wasn't going to happen

1992/93. Losing 1-2 to Arsenal in the FA Cup final with the final action of the game

Edited by NHOwl

Ok, here's a batch from the 80's:

1) Losing Sgt Bilko to Leeds and appointing Peter Eustace in his place who then proceeded to wee wee Sterling off to the point that he left.

2) 4-4 with Chelsea which whilst a great game was dead and buried at half time

3) 0-0 at home v Man City in 83/84. Last home game of the season and a win for us and a loss for Chelsea meant we were Champions. The trophy was there waiting to be presented and we blew it allowing Chelsea to get their noses in front right at the death meaning they went into the last game just needing a win (which they got). We both won our final games but they pipped us on GD. I so badly wanted to see us lift that title and 35 years later I'm still waiting. Also the games v Boro' that season which cost us the title.

4) Semi v Everton in '86. For large parts of the game (especially the first half) we played them off the park but just couldn't make it count. What happened next was all too obvious.

5) Semi v Brighton, we never really showed up.

9 hours ago, alanharper said:

In chronological order, top 5 worst for me were:

Brighton FA Cup semi 1983

Chelsea league cup quarter final 1984

Forest relegation 1990

FA Cup final replay 1993

Playoffs 2017

Agree with these but the ‘93 FA Cup will always remain forefront

I’d add in the draws with Derby under Wilson and Palace to go down under Irvine.

There have been so many - it’s almost impossible to chose 

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

semi final v Brighton in 1983, convinced we were going to Wembley, never been so disappointed leaving a match since.

3-3 v derby, so angry that I launched my radio 50 foot across the works depot, never worked again for some reason.

1993 cup final, for obvious reasons.

losing 1-0 to West Brom in approx. 2008/2009 on a Tuesday night, they scored a last minute winner, nothing match for us but they went up that season, I felt really angry for some reason, I felt like we had been really cheated.

being 3-1 up with 15 mins to go at Arsenal in 2000, thought we were finally going to win at Highbury and give us a chance in the last game V Leicester of stopping up, but no, FFS wednesday

Too many have been included but others that I haven't seen are

The 2-2 draw at home to Stockport after being 2-0 up. 

The 2-1 defeat at home to Liverpool on the opening day of our relegation season from the Prem. 

The 1-0 defeat at home to Bournemouth, Turners final game. 

The 3-1 defeat away at Chesterfield under Turner. Genuinely thought we were going down after that game.

The 5-1 defeat away at Exeter. 

Off the top of my head.

Rotherham at home 2015/16, Felt we underestimated old Colin and his team.

Leeds at home 2014/15, Last home game of the season, went 1-0 up and ended up losing to a very poor Leeds team. A couple of players looked like they couldn't give any less of a f*ck if they tried.

Most of the 2010/11 season, Just a dreadful season all together. Depressing.

Bolton away this season, played in fear of the team who at the time were the worst team in the division.

Birmingham away last season, Went 1-0 up and lost 2-1 to a last minute goal. Genuinely felt sick afterwards.

Norwich away this season, You might have noticed the theme here, 1-0 up played quite well. Second half was like Carlos had given everyone a sleeping tablet. Awful.

12 hours ago, helmut_rooster said:

1993 league cup

Man u away 1-0 up after 94 minutes only to lose after 2 Mrs doubtfire headers

again Derby away 3-1 in the 92nd minute only to draw 3-3

To be fair, Bruce didn't score his 2 late goals until sometime early Tuesday morning as the ref played so much stoppage time. 

• Haha 2