Sign in to follow this  
WelshOwl74

ffs Wednesday

Just charlton in cup for me. We never turned up and would have had a great chance against pigs.

What's a THRASE?

• Haha 2

I remember going into an absolute rage when we lost 3-0 to Tranmere under Megson.

Was out watching Champions League and didn't speak for ages.

Proper huff

Losing to Man City in the weeing rain 1970, relegating us from the First Division. The worst Wednesday performance EVER!

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Derby 3-3..mental, fans fighting each other on the bus..we still don't fully celebrate till the final whistle

Derby 3-0 away under Jones, worst performance I've ever seen..not one idea how to approach the game between players and management

Hull 1-1 this year..Dawson scoring in the last minute...players looking broken

Losing to Wolves on penalties when Waddle missed...were we 3-1 up on penalties? And my dad said 'It's just a game' I was distraught

Not turning up vs Preston awa last August..what a downer.

Even worse we were 3-0 up in the penalty shoot out and then we missed all the rest whilst Wolves scored all there's , only the Wedneday way that one !

• Thanks 1

strange as it sounds one of mine is beating burnley 7-2 after already relegated. remember thinking where the fizz has this been all season

15 minutes ago, Watto said:

Even worse we were 3-0 up in the penalty shoot out and then we missed all the rest whilst Wolves scored all there's , only the Wedneday way that one !

I must have temporarily blocked that from my subconscious as I was there and it was one of the all time "typical Wednesday ffs" moments. I'll have to expand my picks to a top 6 then!

1 hour ago, welsOwl74 said:

fortunately wasn't at that game so doesn't make my top 5

I was and we'd still be playing now if those goals hadn't gone in!

Every year I've been a fan since the 1989/90 season, apart from a few brilliant years in the 90s, back when we were lucky to have players of the calibre of the likes of Waddle; Nilsson, Harkes, Walker, Sheridan, Hirst and Di Canio, etc and just a couple of exciting seasons since the millennium... :ph34r:

Edited by Mr. Wednesday

38 minutes ago, steveraper said:

Losing to Man City in the weeing rain 1970, relegating us from the First Division. The worst Wednesday performance EVER!

This was my first experience of the FFS Wednesday life that I was born into.  Most of the others above are a given.  Most recent, as has already been mentioned above, was the Hull equaliser this term at Hillsborough, all Westy had to do was pick it up and the game was over, step in JVA to boot it into the air.  Notable mention to the Millwall game when we had the ball in the corner with 10 seconds to go, still don't know how we allowed that to happen, and it still rankles.

QPR's third goal here sticks in the mind...

Forest 90 relegated

Palace 2010 relegated

93 Arse FA cup final replay

83 Brighton FA cup semi 

2018 Hudders play off semi.

• Agree 4

58 minutes ago, steveraper said:

This 100%. It difficult to express to our younger fans the sheer incredible ineptitude of this game. A game where Man City were preparing for a European final and really didn't want to play. So many incidents. 49,000 fans there. Played in torrential rain which if you went on the kop did matter in those days. 

• Agree 1

I don't know about top 5 but i must have said it about 500 times this season alone.

But top 5 moments over time

F.a. cup replay 93 - 30 seconds left of normal time and Chris Woods catches the ball and drops it in his goal.

The signing of David Pleat as manager

The semi last year verses Huddersfield away not 1 shot on goal with a keeper who barely played any first team football

The will we won't we get our 150th shirts this season

The whole George Hirst affair a complete embarrassment for my club and our fans - I pray the club have learnt from this but I wait to be proved that that is the case. 

1-0 up at old Trafford then potato head scoring two goals after 2 hrs fergie  time .

Chris woods letting linegans header through his fingers in cup final replay.

Francis not signing Cantona without seeing him play on grass

Appointing Peter eustace as manager. 

Every game during Steve burtenshaws reign as manager in the 70's 

2 hours ago, helmut_rooster said:

Derby away 3-1 in the 92nd minute only to draw 3-3

That game... I'm still ffs'ing that game...

The back end of the 1996-97 season and its repercussions deserves a mention. At the start of March we were challenging for Europe in the league and had a home tie to Wimbledon in the Cup QFs. All the big boys had been knocked out, and only us, Wimbledon and Chelsea (who were then nothing like the force they are now) were left from the top half of the table. We lost the tie, and Chelsea went on to win the competition and the following season's Cup Winners' Cup. In the League, we took 9 points from our last 9 games to finish 7th, 4 points behind Villa, who went on to lose to Atletico Madrid on away goals in the QFs of the following season's UEFA Cup.

Edited by Sova
  • Agree 2

93 cup final. Lived in North London so made it so much harder. I had the feeling then that Arsenal and us (at the time with more or less equally talented teams) would go in different directions. They went on to win the cup winners cup the next year and then scores of trophies and we went into a slow decline that we still haven’t recovered from.  I run their last minute header over in my mind to this day and still feel sick about it. If only....FFS. 

Luton away - we were 2-0 up and lost 3-2 (2004, I think it was)

Stevenage away - just god damn awful

Dark dark times

Derby 3-3 weds relegation year 

Newcastle 8-0 weds

Huddersfield playoff semi 

first 20 mins at Brighton away in the playoffs 

The derby at Hillsborough this season 

The periods in between that were so dark nothing surprised me! But a series of defeats at Tranmere, including one in their away kit was particularly humiliating 

Edited by Bluesteel