Jos: DC got it right.

1 hour ago, trevdi9 said:

well i think he did brilliant with the hand he was dealt tbh and getting Nuhiu scoring was the icing on the cake 'not getting carried away but I feel we will be ok next season

42 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

I don't want to be ok next season I want to see us challenging for promotion again. Don't understand why anyone thinks we shouldn't be.

in my 58 years of supporting Wednesday I have learnt one thing and that is take it as it comes the season hasn't started yet , ,we all want that challenge and so it should be but we saw how this season  played out 'that said I don't build my hopes up then if we do anything it's a bonus

And then the period already referred to as Carvalhal's tenure came to an end...

SHOTS ON TARGET

Aston Villa (a)           2

Bristol City (h)           0

Ipswich (a)                2

Reading (a)               1

Hull (h)                      4

Norwich (a)               4

Wolves (h)                 1

Middlesbrough (h)     1

Edited by DJMortimer

On 08/05/2018 at 14:59, Lichfield alien said:

Only the fools wanted him to stay on after the play off debacle..both legs wer a disgrace

I certainly thought the time was right after Huddersfield playoff failure...I went to both legs n in the first leg Carlos got it half right and we didn’t concede, the second was a disgusting tactical display on his behalf and he got it totally wrong. We never recovered and we got to endure this season on the back of that. 

No no doubt in my mind it was 6 months to late!! 

9 hours ago, SiJ said:

Should have gone after the steel city derby or a week or two afterward. 

Was pretty apparent that Carlos couldn't get a tune out of the players anymore and our ability to even grind opposition down was deserting us. 

But what's done is done and Jos is looking like a decent appointment so far. 

This ^

and I remember reading from a few sources after he went, that DC was contemplating it around that time. Supposedly with the interest in the likes of Fonseca? Carlos had clearly taken us as far has he could and left us in a mess half way through the season. For whatever reasons DC left it till around Christmas but thankfully in hindsight in order to bring in Jos.

I had my doubts too at first about Jos to be honest but he's certainly won me over with his almost old school attitude; calmness, the hard work, giving the youngsters a chance, solidifying and stabilising us, all whilst we were down to the bare bones. 

The finish to the season makes me wonder what Jos will be capable of with a stronger squad, a full pre-season and a few new players? No doubt to me DC got it right, the timing was off but even that looks to have been right too, as bringing in Jos has so far worked and looks an shrewd find.

I think the difference between Jos and Carlos is that Carvahal saw the game as a battle between two managers where Jos sees it as 11 footballers against another 11 footballers. 

Jos doesn't have Carvahals rampaging ego to get in the way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

I think the difference between Jos and Carlos is that Carvahal saw the game as a battle between two managers where Jos sees it as 11 footballers against another 11 footballers. 

Jos doesn't have Carvahals rampaging ego to get in the way.

Agree with this. Only thing that makes my head hurt is getting my head round why CC has such an ego. There's literally nothing in his managerial CV to suggest he should have any sort of ego to maintain let alone a huge ego like he has. A truly bizarre man...

Edited by Almat

this season for me was a right off soon as Carlos signed a new contract.the squad needed motivating after back to back playoff failures.and it's clear as day Carlos is not that guy.admitted that himself when he got the sack.

4 results stand out for me which should him seen him shown the door

1)Brighton away last season,never seen a team fall apart as quick in 30 years watching football

2) Huddersfield home leg ,already discussed

3) steel derby ,obvious reasons

4)game after against Birmingham,Carlos said we get a response,that performance was a smack in the face against ever Wednesdayite.

then there was the 'we'll be promoted ' arrogance.£20 note embarrassment.

the list could go on

dc should have sacked him months before but I won't slag off someone who clearly is a honourable bloke

anyway Jos will get us firing again

• Like 1

I'd take Jos all day over the "merry go round" of managers that continuously rotate from one Championship club to another, rarely finding success but always finding another well-paid job!! We are well out of that game....

4 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I'd take Jos all day over the "merry go round" of managers that continuously rotate from one Championship club to another, rarely finding success but always finding another well-paid job!! We are well out of that game....

Same

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Gotta say , with Jos and Katy on board things look a lot brighter both on and off pitch.

Some of our links to signings look really good , too -  as long as Fessi stays.

What links have you seen?

The team found energy and determination under JL , assisted by some players having something to prove after not being either first choice or even given a chance.

The players seemed together and seemingly enjoying playing.

Long term injuries have been far too numerous and the players might be liking that more cautious approach to recovery.

Apart from turning results around with the help of more determined players and some returning quality, JL big achievement was to prevent a pretty demoralised and denuded squad from collapsing in face of some disappointing results early on.

37 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

The main difference between Carlos and Jos is Jos tailors the tactics to suite the players he's got available . Carlos had 1 way of playing at the start of this season and stuck with it regardless of the players 

The main difference is Jos is a capable coach, not a fraud and bullshiit artist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1