Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, thatladfromchap said:

ALLLL ABOARD...

 

Ship ahoy Albert, ship ahoy 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

The chairman could easily have justified losing a manager who didnt' even get a single shot on goal in a whole MONTH

 

 

 

Out of interest, when did this happen????

 

I can only recall the time we went 7 or 8 games without a goal under Sturrock but definitely remember having a few attempts on target?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Carlos has shot his load, showing true colors of his managerial history 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Owling Wolfe said:

I don't think it was a poor team, more the way we set up to play in year 2.

 

I think the quality of our players was good enough, but I believe what ultimately cost us was their lack of fitness.  The play off games against Hudds might have been settled on penalties suggesting equally matched teams, but over the 2 legs Hudds definitely had the fitter players. 

 

Hopefully we’ll be a fitter side next season and as a consequence get to see how good we can be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

The chairman could easily have justified losing a manager who didnt' even get a single shot on goal in a whole MONTH

 

 

 

And who totally blew the play off against Udders with negative, defensive tactics. 

  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Beholder said:

He may have got the decision right but it was six months too late. 

 

That said, I think we will go up next season.

 

 

 

 

In a way I'm glad Carlos overstayed his welcome. If he'd gone before this season started and we hadn't got promotion there would have been a lot of the fan base convinced that we would have gone up if we had still had Carlos in charge. He would have been another messiah like the ginger one.

 

At least this way we all know that Carlos had run out of ideas and lost his way, he was great the first year, arguably good the second year (league position) and the he was yesterdays man. OK it cost us a season but we did survive.

 

The king is dead long live king Jos.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too soon to say. Wait until he has a full squad to work with and hopefully with some new (hungry) players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spookone said:

 

This ^^^

 

There is no way any sane chairman would get rid of a manager who has got, what was a poor team, to finish 6th then 4th in his first 2 seasons in charge - it didn't work out but you can understand DC thinking this season we can go one step further.

 

It would have been madness (but in hindsight the right decision) to get rid of CC at that point.

I think that’s about right but it takes a brave person to say it on here!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

 

And who totally blew the play off against Udders with negative, defensive tactics. 

 

37 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

 

I think the quality of our players was good enough, but I believe what ultimately cost us was their lack of fitness.  The play off games against Hudds might have been settled on penalties suggesting equally matched teams, but over the 2 legs Hudds definitely had the fitter players. 

 

Hopefully we’ll be a fitter side next season and as a consequence get to see how good we can be.

 

Not lack of fitness, injuries. I'll keep saying it but injuries were the decisive factor and it's easy to forget how many we had.

 

Hooper out, FF and Lee not fully fit, Wallace off after 5 mins, Fletcher off injured after scoring and Hutch with a ruptured hernia.

Three of those less than fit players took penalties and two of them were saved whilst we had fit players not prepared to step up to the plate. Also Fletcher and Wallace would have taken pens if still on the pitch.

 

We were unlucky just like we were lucky the year before when Brighton suffered lots of injuries.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, barmyowl1212 said:

DC wasnt expecting the third season to be like an episode of casualty.


I've not seen much of Casualty myself, but don't they all get better pretty quickly?! It's been more like Carry on Matron!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

 

And who totally blew the play off against Udders with negative, defensive tactics. 

Only the fools wanted him to stay on after the play off debacle..both legs wer a disgrace

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fred mciver said:

With hindsight, think you are right.

 

But can you imagine grief - especially on here - if we ditched Carlos after second play offs in 2 years.

I’m not sure about that, the performances against Huddersfield in the play-offs were atrocious. 

 

A lot of people were of the mindset it was time for change. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wakefield owl said:

 

 

Not lack of fitness, injuries. I'll keep saying it but injuries were the decisive factor and it's easy to forget how many we had.

 

Hooper out, FF and Lee not fully fit, Wallace off after 5 mins, Fletcher off injured after scoring and Hutch with a ruptured hernia.

Three of those less than fit players took penalties and two of them were saved whilst we had fit players not prepared to step up to the plate. Also Fletcher and Wallace would have taken pens if still on the pitch.

 

We were unlucky just like we were lucky the year before when Brighton suffered lots of injuries.

Fletcher was injured?

first I have heard of it. He looked as surprised as anyone when the tactical genius took him off 7 minutes after scoring 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoctOwl said:


I've not seen much of Casualty myself, but don't they all get better pretty quickly?! It's been more like Carry on Matron!

No, on Casualty the person you think least likely to be ill, dies!!! A bit like signing Abdi, promised so much, but unfortunately he passed away from an eye lash injury.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Fletcher was injured?

first I have heard of it. He looked as surprised as anyone when the tactical genius took him off 7 minutes after scoring 

CC should have been dismissed for that asinine substitution alone.

 

We were flipping ROLLING after Fletcher's goal.  Marauding into HTFC's half with little trouble.  They were on the ropes.

 

Then Carlos makes a completely tone-deaf substitution, tempo resets, and momentum flipping lost forever.

 

Enrages me still thinking about it. 

Edited by Socialist_Owl
  • Agree 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wakefield owl said:

 

 

Not lack of fitness, injuries. I'll keep saying it but injuries were the decisive factor and it's easy to forget how many we had.

 

Hooper out, FF and Lee not fully fit, Wallace off after 5 mins, Fletcher off injured after scoring and Hutch with a ruptured hernia.

Three of those less than fit players took penalties and two of them were saved whilst we had fit players not prepared to step up to the plate. Also Fletcher and Wallace would have taken pens if still on the pitch.

 

We were unlucky just like we were lucky the year before when Brighton suffered lots of injuries.

 

Fair enough Wakefield that makes sense to me. Either way it looked obvious that our players as a team, lhad far less energy than Hudds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, prowl said:

In a way I'm glad Carlos overstayed his welcome. If he'd gone before this season started and we hadn't got promotion there would have been a lot of the fan base convinced that we would have gone up if we had still had Carlos in charge. He would have been another messiah like the ginger one.

 

At least this way we all know that Carlos had run out of ideas and lost his way, he was great the first year, arguably good the second year (league position) and the he was yesterdays man. OK it cost us a season but we did survive.

 

The king is dead long live king Jos.

 

Good point. I'd probably have been one of those who'd have wondered what might have been, to be honest. There's still a part of my brain which reckons we'd be a Premier League team if we'd just kept Stuart Gray as manager!

 

At least this way we all know the answer to the question, 'what if....?'

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I advocated him being sacked in the march international break of his second season. Only a tremendous run towards the end of the season secured a playoff spot. The football was dire for the majority of the season. The league wasn't there for the taking as some have suggested as both Newcastle and villa had been relegated. Newcastle did what was expected which only left 1 auto place up for grabs but with the teams in the playoffs (and the fact that we didn't have to play the  worlds greatest team in Fulham) we should have done significantly better in them. The benefit of sacking him then would have been an impetus towards the end of that season and more chance of promotion then but also giving the new manager time to assess the squad, see what was lacking/required in terms of personnel, health (i.e. not waiting for ff operation until a few weeks into this season) and being  much fitter going into this last season. This season has been a complete waste on every level but I am hopeful and excited about what Jos can do next season. 

Edited by damianb1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, katie melua said:

 

Out of interest, when did this happen????

 

I can only recall the time we went 7 or 8 games without a goal under Sturrock but definitely remember having a few attempts on target?

It was November December time I think. Don't  know the exact amount of games but remember it being a good few. Carlos went shortly after I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Owling Wolfe said:

I don't think it was a poor team, more the way we set up to play in year 2.

 

For clarification I mean it was a poor team before CC took over, and even if thats how you understood it, I would say results and our league position prior to CC taking over (even if it was down to how we were set up), still suggest we were a poor team. lol

Edited by Spookone
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×