Formation from the final two games and what that means for our strikers

So, in the last two games we've played a pretty clear 343. Essentially:

LF - ST - RF

LWB - CM - CM - RWB
CB - CB - CB

GK

It's pretty dangerous going forward as with the fullback pushed on we can have 3 guys in the box, making chaos and goal often come from chaos.

It suits Nando very much as it puts him in that role were he can isolate a man, cut in and make things happen.
And it suits Nuhiu (and Fletch) in that he can play a central role battling, laying off and being on the end of things.

Joao's been parked on the right a bit, which doesn't massively suit him, but does give him an outlet to break with his pace. There's not really anyone else in the squad who can do that.

This front 3 are fairly dynamic, making them harder to pick up and leaving defenders with a difficult task handing players off and covering properly.

Overall, I like it a lot.

But what does it mean for our current squad? There's a swath of strikers who just don't fit this system. Hooper, Rhodes and Winnall being the obvious ones. They're all better in a front 2, and do't have the hold up play to play the ST role, nor the pace and trickery to play the wide forward roles. Even Joao isn't idea for this (tho Matias probably is). So, in the summer, might we see a mass exodus of these strikers who don't fit the system?

There's a couple of others who don't really fit either..

Boyd is a decent footballer and has been useful this season with his versatility, but he's a right midfielder really.. not defensive enough to play wing back, but not quick enough to play in the forward role.

Reach's defensive failings were plain to see against Norwich and better teams would punish us for that. Going forwards he was great tho, so probably ends up competing with Nando.. tho he doesn't offer the same man-beating ability that Nando or Matias does. In central midfield there's just not room for him. With 1 defensive mid and one more forward minded, he's behind Bannan and Lee, and probably Abdi should he ever emerge from the treatment room. Do we just suck up his defensive failings and say "his delivery is worth it in attack" and put him in regardless?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its very attack minded but will at times leave us outnumbered in midfield, it goes against everything Carlos did.

On a different day Norwich could have got a result on Sunday

Love the attacking intent tho, FF Joao and Dave are a hand full for anyone

Presumably though based on what Jos has done so far he is playing a formation for the player available the same way we played a 5-3-2 when we had only defenders fit.

Players need to be able to play more than one formation if not then they should have choice a different career than being a football the days of everyone playing 4-4-2 don't exist anymore.

Lets get everyone in the squad fit and see where we are with formation/personel.

We have massive weakness at moth full backs/Wing backs and this needs addressing in the close season Fox/Palmer/Hunt do not have the consistency or the ability (in my opinion) to push us forward all need replacing or at the very least not being first team regulars.

It will be an interest few weeks as the transfer window opens on the 17th May - May i hear you say yes due to the window closing first week in August the window has to be open for 12 weeks meaning it opening in just 9 days.

I definitely think it's the way forward. 

I think it's a bit more flexible than the OP allows. It's not quite three up front but one (FF) playing flexibly behind a front two. If fit I don't see why Hooper or possibly Fletcher shouldn't compete for a place in it. And both Matias (yes I know) and Reach can play in the FF slot if needed.

I don't agree that Norwich could have readily got something out the game. Partly because our central defenders squeezed out most of their promising positions and partly because of their poor decision making. What I do think is that if the formation is used next year we will have to get used not only to conceding possession but conceding it in our defensive third. That will go wrong from time to time. 

But I'd be up for that. Bottom line is we have real attacking talent so go for it. The swarming forward which led to the first and fourth goals and the early FF chance is fantastic to watch

3 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

I definitely think it's the way forward. 

I think it's a bit more flexible than the OP allows. It's not quite three up front but one (FF) playing flexibly behind a front two. If fit I don't see why Hooper or possibly Fletcher shouldn't compete for a place in it. And both Matias (yes I know) and Reach can play in the FF slot if needed.

I don't agree that Norwich could have readily got something out the game. Partly because our central defenders squeezed out most of their promising positions and partly because of their poor decision making. What I do think is that if the formation is used next year we will have to get used not only to conceding possession but conceding it in our defensive third. That will go wrong from time to time. 

But I'd be up for that. Bottom line is we have real attacking talent so go for it. The swarming forward which led to the first and fourth goals and the early FF chance is fantastic to watch

Good post.

In my opinion the most important thing in football is that you are creating several chances every game, whether your strikers are good enough to convert is another matter. 

My problem with Carlos’ style was we were often relying on creating only 1-2 chances a game. 

Yes Norwich had chances to score, but we scored 5 times and had a few other chances go missing too. 

We could be like Keegan’s Man City championship team next season and win games 5-3 every week, which would suit me just fine 

• Like 1

I’m warming to Jos, after the squad he inherited he deserves the plaudits.

However he has benefitted from a fit and firing Forestieri, Bannan and a Nuhiu purple patch. Before that I haven’t forgotten Millwall away, Bristol, Brum and QPR. Not trying to pour cold water on anything, we are clearly as every team in the land is better with their better players available.

I am looking forward to a bit of luck on the injury front, we all know we have a decent squad with some up and coming youngsters just hope Jos is positive in his team selection, when the pressure is on come August.

Edited by Box_Man

2 minutes ago, Box_Man said:

I’m warming to Jos, after the squad he inherited he deserves the plaudits.

However he has benefitted from a fit and firing Forestieri, Bannan and a Nuhiu purple patch. Before that I haven’t forgotten Millwall away, Bristol, Brum and QPR. Not trying to pour cold water on anything, we are clearly as every team in the land is better with their better players available.

I am looking forward to a bit of luck on the injury front, we all know we have a decent squad with some up and coming youngsters just hope Jos is positive in his team selection, when the pressure is on come August.

He’s had to sort out the rubbish from the previous regime , that wouldn’t happen over night . Credit for not rushing those players back even when we weren’t safe. We are reaping the rewards now 

5 minutes ago, james o connor said:

He’s had to sort out the rubbish from the previous regime , that wouldn’t happen over night . Credit for not rushing those players back even when we weren’t safe. We are reaping the rewards now 

Sums it up. For me CC should have gone after the Huddersfield playoffs but we kept him. The time for the push of CC was when it became clear we couldn't challenge. I'm not sure getting rid of CC in September or October would have helped with the injury list or improved our season.

Interesting OP, but it seems to be suggesting that we will go 3-4-3 and players that don't fit the system should be dispensed with.

But that's plan A (possibly).

We need a plan B. That's where other players come in. That's where the versatility of Reach, and Boyd, Hutchinson are invaluable.

Fwiw, I think we will vary our formation from game to game according to who we are playing and who is fit/injured, and also within games. Expect total football, fluid football.

Jos' preferred setup is 4-2-3-1. It may not be our first-choice shape, but I'm willing to bet Jos will recruit with that formation in mind. In all seriousness, the team we started against Norwich looks like a playoff finishing side. If we can recruit so we look like a playoff side in a 4-2-3-1 as well then that tactical consistency and flexibility may well be enough you know. 

Not wanting to get carried away, but Jos has restored my faith in a lot of this squad. If we can cut the deadwood and get players that fit the system(s) the manager's going for, next season will be really good fun indeed.

Interestingly the teams in my paper for tonight’s crucial premier league game are both shown in a 3421 formation. ( nowt to do with dusty bin) .

This is basically what we are playing with atty up top then and FF and Joao as the two.

Carlos copying Jos

• Like 1

We need to remember that it's far easier to try out formations, systems, and players when the pressure is off - and it's been off Jos since he arrived, and even more so since we were guaranteed safety.

We'll see the real Jos, the real formations, systems and personnel in August when the pressure is on for Wednesday to be challenging at the top end of the table.

Apart from the Nuhiu role the other two in the front 3 have to be mobile players with pace capable of dropping back into the middle to help out, helping the wing back while also getting into the box.

FF , Joao and Matias are the ones we currently have.

This leaves Atty, Rhodes, Hooper and Fletcher for one place.

This is probably why we will start 352 sometimes.

It does appear that 3 at the back is here to stay unless we make some defensive signings

15 minutes ago, TrueOwl said:

Hooper would make an excellent false 9 in this system imo.

We’d have no real focal point then and I’m not sure our other 10 would be good enough to accommodate it 

Hooper could play on the right/left side of that front 3 easily. It’s not about speedy wing play, a lot of it is coming inside and linking up with the striker and midfield. He is such a clever player, he’d flourish in a team with the likes of FF, Nuhiu, Reach, Bannan one touch passing, making triangles...quick thinking play, making space for each other.