Happy Birthday Big Jack!

Happy memories of my brother and me following Big Jack’s Owls to some of the most god forsaken grounds in the league but there was rarely a dull moment in that era.

Great man and great manager. Happy birthday!

• Like 4

Part of the divine quality of our great club is the sprinkling of truly great men who have shaped our history. We are lucky indeed, this man provided the most special of times with his teams and players that I watched with my dear Dad and brother. I still have dreams about walking down Wadsley Lane with them towards the glow of the floodlights to watch Big Jacks men. Jack was and I’m sure still is an immense character and I’m sure he is loved by Wednesdayites like he is a grandfather. Thanks for the memories Jack!

• Like 6

Once bumped into him and his wife in Pepe's restaurant in Jalon Valley, near his holiday place in Moraria, Costa Blanca. Top bloke. He is  proud and has very fond memories of his time at Hillsborough.. Hope you are still catching the rays and the fish out in Spain big fella. Thanks for your time.

• Like 3

Happy Birthday Big Jack.

As kids used  to stand as close as we could to Jack and Maurice Setters as they watched the Wednesday youth team at Thorncliffe on Saturday mornings. Then down to Hillsborough in the afternoon or if we were away watching one of our local teams at Thorncliffe or Mortomley Park. At half time had to race onto the pitch to take shots at goals with nets - happy days!

• Like 1

Happy birthday Big Jack

A great man who dragged us back from the depths......the youngsters of today have no idea what bad means. Shame he wasn't quite able to finish the job of getting us back to Division 1, as it was.

I had the privilege of meeting him once. He was a speaker at a Sportsman dinner in the North East. Afterwards I queued up to get his autograph and thanked him for his time at Hillsborough. He looked at me and said 'Aye they were good times they were'.......weren't they just? My first season of following us away from home was '79-80, how lucky was I?

Edited by Bramhall Owl
  • Like 2