Destructive critcism

All the debate about Atdhe and whether or not the criticism he's had will convince him to go reminds me of an incident many years ago;

Back in the post Wilko days I had a season ticket by the dug outs within earshot of the bench.

One game a promising young winger by the name of Des Hazel was introduced from the bench, much to our pleasure - we like to see the young 'uns making progress don't we?

The lad started energetically but made mistakes. The crowd encouraged him, sensing his nervousness.

Alas, the coach at the time, one Mick Hennigan had less patience with young Des, shouting abuse rather than encouragement.

The lad's head visibly dropped. He ended up playing a lot of games for Rotherham...

My point is; destructive criticism doesn't help: constructive criticism does.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, asteener1867 said:

Des Hazel ....used to fly down the wing outpacing everyone..then cross it into the Kop.....Theres a reason beyond "Destructive criticism" that he ended up at Rotherham

I realise that but sticking to my point.

You could apply that to others.   Ian Nolan was one in particular I recall who got unfair criticism.    Andy Booth too.   Andy Sinton - if I sat for 10 minutes to think i'm sure I could come up with easily 2 first team 11's to play against each other, and i'm not even that old.

I remember taking my lad to Sunday football in the eighties when the norm was to CRITICISE them from the sidelines. Even they, from 7 or 8 years old, had to suffer discouragement.

I was relatively mild dad compared to some fanatics but my son packed in playing at 14 and I wasn't surprised.

2 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

The point is Hazel didn't simply get the one chance offa the bench did he..He carried on flying down the wing an' runnin' up the Kop steps...didn't he?

I agree, he wasn't in the end up to the standard which is why he ended up at Rotherham.

My point; unreasonable criticism does not help anyone, particularly the recipient, and who knows how he would have developed had the coach been a little more patient.

Just now, Treborowl said:

I agree, he wasn't in the end up to the standard which is why he ended up at Rotherham.

My point; unreasonable criticism does not help anyone, particularly the recipient, and who knows how he would have developed had the coach been a little more patient.

He went to Grimsby didn't he...did nowt...ploughed about with Rotherham..then what?

He really wasn't good enough was he...?

One piece of criticism (Rumoured) from a bench is hardly going to be the Be all and end all " of a career...

He had great pace, but not a lot else...

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

He went to Grimsby didn't he...did nowt...ploughed about with Rotherham..then what?

He really wasn't good enough was he...?

One piece of criticism (Rumoured) from a bench is hardly going to be the Be all and end all " of a career...

He had great pace, but not a lot else...

I saw and heard what I did. You don't have to believe me. I don't disagree with your assessment of the player. I was just using him as an example to back up my belief that  criticism can destroy. Looks like we don't agree. Fair enough.

3 minutes ago, Treborowl said:

I saw and heard what I did. You don't have to believe me. I don't disagree with your assessment of the player. I was just using him as an example to back up my belief that  criticism can destroy. Looks like we don't agree. Fair enough.

No problem mate..I simply saw him as a player with great pace, but no end product....

1 hour ago, Watson said:

Encouragement is the best way to get people to improve.

Is it different people react in different ways to a kick up the arse or coercing them to perform better! What it boils down to is the manager knowing his players strengths and weaknesses and how to get the best out of them, hence good managers are at a premium 

1 hour ago, Treborowl said:

All the debate about Atdhe and whether or not the criticism he's had will convince him to go reminds me of an incident many years ago;

Back in the post Wilko days I had a season ticket by the dug outs within earshot of the bench.

One game a promising young winger by the name of Des Hazel was introduced from the bench, much to our pleasure - we like to see the young 'uns making progress don't we?

The lad started energetically but made mistakes. The crowd encouraged him, sensing his nervousness.

Alas, the coach at the time, one Mick Hennigan had less patience with young Des, shouting abuse rather than encouragement.

The lad's head visibly dropped. He ended up playing a lot of games for Rotherham...

My point is; destructive criticism doesn't help: constructive criticism does.

maxresdefault.jpg

Mick Hennigan.... reminds me of going to reserve games as a kid mid 80s with my dad.  He just came across as a bully and could imagine it wouldn’t take much for him to fall out with someone .

• Thanks 1