Nuhiu felt unloved

9 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Before Carvalhal picked him for his final game in charge last December, Nuhiu had started just 4 games in 19 months. That's hardly conducive with someone scoring plenty of goals, even more so for a bloke with a modest strike rate in the first place. 

I'm making the judgment over Nuhiu's 5 years here - not his 4 starts in 19 months under Carlos, not his fine form the past 10 weeks under Jos, not his run of games under Gray as May's strike partner. The "a year without a goal" was one point in the whole debate - just like Nuhiu's current form is one point in the debate.

Whilst I get you can't expect a guy to get goals when he is rarely playing, I have to question why he's not getting regular minutes when the team is struggling for goals, which was the cause during that spell you mention.

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I have to question why he's not getting regular minutes when the team is struggling for goals, which was the cause during that spell you mention.

Presumably because Forestieri, Hooper, Fletcher and Rhodes (and to a lesser extent, Joao and Winnall) were available for almost all of that period? And we were only struggling for goals in the last 4 or so of those 19 months.

57 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Presumably because Forestieri, Hooper, Fletcher and Rhodes (and to a lesser extent, Joao and Winnall) were available for almost all of that period? And we were only struggling for goals in the last 4 or so of those 19 months.

Not really sure we've been prolific at all in the 5 years Nuhiu has been at the club - some years before Forestieri, Hooper, Fletcher, Rhodes, Joao, and Winnall had even arrived. Even when Forestieri was injured/suspended, Hooper on the treatment table, Fletcher being hit and miss on the injury front, Joao away at Blackburn, Winnall playing for Derby, and Rhodes struggling for form, Nuhiu still wasn't getting much game time. Why was that?

This is why it's important to assess Nuhiu over his 5 years with us, and not isolating analysis to a period he didn't play or is in a purple patch.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

On 08/05/2018 at 13:48, Beauchief Owl said:

Nuhiu's example should encourage players like Fox, Palmer, Boyd, Jones and Butterfield. You play well and try hard, you get loved. You collect a very sizeable wedge of cash each week and consistently don't play well, then you get criticized. It is easy enough for players to change most people's perceptions if they work hard, improve their game and make an effective contribution to the team. 

looks like too many going through life just drawing the money, over time maybe they figure that'll extend their playing career, and earning potential.

On 08/05/2018 at 14:15, CLswfc said:

Reading quite a few posts on here re Nuhiu, there's still that underlying feeling that there are still quite a few who either want him to fail or couldn't be arSed if he left. Amazing really. I would sooner see at least 3 of our current crop of strikers go before him. Take Rhodes for example. How many chances do you give a 28 year old on mega money the chance to shine. Nuhiu only a fraction of his worth is given the opportunity and does shine. No brainer really.

i simple adore nuhiu, having supported this club for quite a few decades i've seen more sh*t than a sewage worker does in a lifetime, so somebody who actually gave a f*** is just fantastic to see, his late season rally has likely kept us up, he's been like one of the fans on the field over his time here, and i love that too.

BUT if we resign him, how much will he play? will he hit this vein of form next start of season?, if not will the boo boys be on his back? and no doubt mentioning the extra money we are paying him. 

his on field returns throughout his time at s6 have been far short of what we'd have liked, he has missed a few he ought to have scored (to say the least), and at times he has been frustrating, i don't want to see him resign to be crucified by a certain element.

a move might be the best for club, fans, and atty himself, and also jos (with limited funds) might be looking at what he can bring in from elsewhere for the same salary. 

1 hour ago, Buddy Repperton said:

More poo stirring from Radio Sufc!

Theyve got enough swirling round their swill pit with Wilder somehow managing to unite the fan base and split the ownership.

meanwhile despite Attys recent flurry of goals I am in agreement with dhnc - go out on a high with the affection of the fans. We’ve got a lorry load of strikers - if you don’t go to S2 or Leeds we designate a preseason match as a benefit for you Loovens and Wallace where you will, I’m sure feel loved. 

On 5/8/2018 at 13:39, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

As I mentioned above, why did Nuhiu sign a 2-year contract extension in 2016 then? Was it because no other clubs were interested?

I think it was because 1) Nuhiu wasn't getting in the team often enough to prove to other teams that they should firm up their interest, but 2) Carlos recognised Nuhiu's usefulness to the team and decided it would be good to keep him around. I doubt Nuhiu got much of a pay rise that time, whereas this time I suspect we had to up our offer a fair bit.

1 minute ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

I think it was because 1) Nuhiu wasn't getting in the team often enough to prove to other teams that they should firm up their interest, but 2) Carlos recognised Nuhiu's usefulness to the team and decided it would be good to keep him around. I doubt Nuhiu got much of a pay rise that time, whereas this time I suspect we had to up our offer a fair bit.

So, he re-signed for us - despite unhappy about his game time? Strange.

Glad he's signed his contract extension now - I'd have liked 1 year, but 2 years is probably a fair compromise between club and player. That said, so long as Jos keeps playing him as he is, and Nuhiu keeps up the level of performance he's shown recently.

On 08/05/2018 at 12:41, optimisticowl said:

Big Sam is getting a load of stick for guiding Everton to 8th in the Premier League, he will probably be sacked and spend some time in Moraira laughing his socks off and counting his pay off. Nuhiu will do well out of his time under Jos, either with us or more likely with a new club, good luck to the guy whichever option he chooses, however if I were him I’d screw SWFC for a mega pay deal.

Mystic Meg or what?