Nuhiu felt unloved

2 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

I think some people are mis-interpreting here - when he says he felt "unloved", I don't think he's talking about this season. At the start of the season Carlos wasn't playing him and we'd all but stopped considering Nuhiu really, and then as soon as the injury crisis hit peak levels and Jos played him he started banging them in and enjoyed a storming second half of the season. There's been no real instance of Nuhiu being singled out this season anything like as badly as in previous years.

The previous years are the problem, especially in Stuart Gray's season in charge when we had next to no money so Nuhiu and Stevie May were starting up front every week and he unfairly ended up being the outlet for much of the frustration we had at limited budgets etc.. Nuhiu was playing in a limited team, on a terrible pitch, with a striking partner who couldn't get anything going at all. I'm not absolving him of blame though - I think he's a much better player now than he was then, his finishing has improved and he's stopped missing those appalling sitters that left you with your head in your hands. Every single sodding week Owlstalk was just an endless string of "I told you so" threads, either from his supporters if he'd scored or his detractors if he hadn't, and it would go on for pages and pages. 

Of course it's going to be hard for him to shake the memory of getting pelters most weeks, because he has very much been singled out in a way that others haven't over the years. I really hope he doesn't leave, because personally I've always liked him - I acknowledge his flaws and limitations, but he works ridiculously hard and the moments where the ball seems to get stuck, he gets surrounded by about three opposition defenders and still manages to come galloping out the other side with the ball at his feet put a huge grin on your face. More importantly the squad seem to love him too, his interviews with The Times etc. show him to be an intelligent bloke and he's exactly the sort you'd want in the dressing room. If he leaves, I'd understand why but I really hope he doesn't, he'd be badly missed.

As I mentioned above, why did Nuhiu sign a 2-year contract extension in 2016 then? Was it because no other clubs were interested?

Nuhiu's example should encourage players like Fox, Palmer, Boyd, Jones and Butterfield. You play well and try hard, you get loved. You collect a very sizeable wedge of cash each week and consistently don't play well, then you get criticized. It is easy enough for players to change most people's perceptions if they work hard, improve their game and make an effective contribution to the team. 

Nuihu has shown over the last 4 month that when he applies himself there is a championship footballer in there the problem is he has been here 5 seasons and only since January have we seen what we wanted from day 1. 

I hope he signs a new contract proves the doubter wrong myself included, but if 4 years + of relative rubbish at one point he had not scored a goal for over 18 months and 40+ games then let him leave, as everyone keeps saying with other players no players is bigger than the club.

I hope he stays and scores a hat full but if he goes we move on and focus of our other strikers and it might mean Joao stepping up and filling the void.

Reading quite a few posts on here re Nuhiu, there's still that underlying feeling that there are still quite a few who either want him to fail or couldn't be arSed if he left. Amazing really. I would sooner see at least 3 of our current crop of strikers go before him. Take Rhodes for example. How many chances do you give a 28 year old on mega money the chance to shine. Nuhiu only a fraction of his worth is given the opportunity and does shine. No brainer really.

Guest LittleG
55 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

You say that, yet Nuhiu didn't seem to be "unloved" when he was offered, and accepted, a 2-year contract extension in 2016 when most wanted him to be moved on because his form/contribution wasn't worth a contract extension. Yet, now Nuhiu is on fire and other clubs will be showing interest, he is "unloved" and doesn't seem in a hurry to sign this contract extension... Strange commitment is that!

Spot on, he is not the new messiah. He has done well over the last 10 matches but all this about being unloved is not doing him any favours.

10 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Spot on, he is not the new messiah. He has done well over the last 10 matches but all this about being unloved is not doing him any favours.

I think him saying he is 'unloved' is a massive understatement to be honest. He's had some right craP thrown at him on here and at games. If he can get the best possible deal out of the club then why not. The others have done it including one who as possibly cost us close 500 k per goal. How much do you think Nuhiu will be costing us. I think you are the first to mention the word Messiah. As far as I'm concerned he's done more than most to warrant a new contract offer, a player who deserves a little bit more credit than what he as received so far from a few. Not bad for a donkey, second string player who as hauled us out of the mire on more than one occasion. Yet there's all these love in's with players who never see match days cos there on the sodding treatment table all the time.

Right up the front, so no one misses it, i don't hate Nuhiu. I'm not a big fan, but i've no irrational dislike for the fella. He seems like a good guy and is well liked by the other players it seems, so fair play to him for that.

But.. the interview's a bit odd. He gets complimented by the interviewer and replies "well some people think i'm not good enough". Bizarre given the circumstances, he's just been cheered off and everyone's singing his name. Leaves me thinking he'll be off.. of if he stays we'll have over paid ("the club has to fight for me"). Feels like it's all got to him a bit, perhaps because it's true that he scored like 1 goal in 20 months of something.

Even on saturday with the hattrick, there was plenty to complain about in his performance. 2nd half he was mostly garbage. Constantly giving it away (Joao did too to be fair), got a bit lucky for the 2nd goal and fair play to Nando for giving him the ball for the pen. Not exactly the most 'earnt' hattrick in the world is all i'm saying. Not knocking him, he has shown he can play in the last few months, but this hattricks doesn't make him a superstar. He's still a bit limited and often inconsistent. His play is often frustrating, there's no two ways about that, it is.

Obviously you have to try and hold on to a player who's scored 9 goals and got 2 assists in 8 games. And if we're going to play with basically one out and out striker (as we have the last two games) then he's probably in with a decent shout of taking that shirt.

• Like 1

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, CLswfc said:

I think him saying he is 'unloved' is a massive understatement to be honest. He's had some right craP thrown at him on here and at games. If he can get the best possible deal out of the club then why not. The others have done it including one who as possibly cost us close 500 k per goal. How much do you think Nuhiu will be costing us. I think you are the first to mention the word Messiah. As far as I'm concerned he's done more than most to warrant a new contract offer, a player who deserves a little bit more credit than what he as received so far from a few. Not bad for a donkey, second string player who as hauled us out of the mire on more than one occasion. Yet there's all these love in's with players who never see match days cos there on the sodding treatment table all the time.

Probably saying messiah is a bit over the top but I've never called him a donkey. And I still think this unloved statement should not have been made, unless as an earlier poster pointed out he may have been referring to his time under Carlos. But if not he should not have made it. As I said in an earlier post, apart from the odd fan most supporters have been behind him

2 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Nuhiu's example should encourage players like Fox, Palmer, Boyd, Jones and Butterfield. You play well and try hard, you get loved. You collect a very sizeable wedge of cash each week and consistently don't play well, then you get criticized. It is easy enough for players to change most people's perceptions if they work hard, improve their game and make an effective contribution to the team. 

Butterfield isnt ours, couldn't care less what he does. 

2 hours ago, CLswfc said:

Reading quite a few posts on here re Nuhiu, there's still that underlying feeling that there are still quite a few who either want him to fail or couldn't be arSed if he left. Amazing really. I would sooner see at least 3 of our current crop of strikers go before him. Take Rhodes for example. How many chances do you give a 28 year old on mega money the chance to shine. Nuhiu only a fraction of his worth is given the opportunity and does shine. No brainer really.

I don't want this to turn into a Rhodes thread, so I'll keep it brief. Rhodes has smashed in an absolute bucketload of goals at this level, and that, for me anyway, is worth pursing for a little longer. We've all seen what Carlos' managerial style has done to more than capable players in the past 12-18 months, so I find it difficult to judge ANY of our players over that period. Yes, Rhodes might have lost it, might have peaked early, and may never do it again, but I'd rather we gave him a proper go at it before letting him leave and potentially coming to regret it. Vydra at Derby is a perfect example of a proven goalscorer at this level, written off after a nightmare year, and then coming back to prove his worth - 22 goals now this season?

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I don't want this to turn into a Rhodes thread, so I'll keep it brief. Rhodes has smashed in an absolute bucketload of goals at this level, and that, for me anyway, is worth pursing for a little longer. We've all seen what Carlos' managerial style has done to more than capable players in the past 12-18 months, so I find it difficult to judge ANY of our players over that period. Yes, Rhodes might have lost it, might have peaked early, and may never do it again, but I'd rather we gave him a proper go at it before letting him leave and potentially coming to regret it. Vydra at Derby is a perfect example of a proven goalscorer at this level, written off after a nightmare year, and then coming back to prove his worth - 22 goals now this season?

Agreed, as long as Luhukay thinks he fits the system and style he wants to play, of course.

I've had enough of watching us try to shoehorn players into an ill-fitting system. 

• Like 1

Not really bothered one way or the other. We still have Fletcher on contract who can do what Nuhui can and does it better, admittedly not from the treatment table though. This purple patch has been great for him and fans who wanted him to come good but he is still very limited for a team hoping to win promotion. 

May have missed this but didn't he renew last year. I'm not knocking him his performances recently have been exactly how i hoped he would be since his debut against qpr,but he wasn't complaining about not being loved when the last extension was offered.

Edit. Really should just look up the page.

Edited by tomassOwl84

10 hours ago, cookeh said:

Feels like it's all got to him a bit, perhaps because it's true that he scored like 1 goal in 20 months of something.

11 hours ago, room0035 said:

...at one point he had not scored a goal for over 18 months and 40+ games

13 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I want strikers who score goals. If a striker goes a year without a goal, I'll most likely have a few negative comments to make.

12 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

...he may learn other clubs would be worse when a striker had only scored 1 in his last 44 games - or whatever stat it was at the time earlier this season. 

Before Carvalhal picked him for his final game in charge last December, Nuhiu had started just 4 games in 19 months. That's hardly conducive with someone scoring plenty of goals, even more so for a bloke with a modest strike rate in the first place. 

Unfortunately SWFC and Atdhe’s perception of his role may no longer align.

A player with his recent form might understandably now expect to be a first-choice striker. However, when everyone up front is fit (should such a time ever mercifully come) it’s hard for him to be offered any assurances about his place in the pecking order.

I hope he stays. He’s clearly a great lad for morale, and tactically he gives us a physical presence up front we otherwise lack; invaluable as even just a bench option. But if at 28 years old that’s no longer enough for him, who can begrudge him weighing up his options.