Nuhiu felt unloved

20 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

I wonder how many on here defending him & slagging off the haters are the same ones that used to abuse him?

Personally I think the lad should move on, I'd like him to stay but next year they'll be more competition for places, so whilst he's in his prime now, I wouldn't blame him at all & think it would be right for his career.

This is probably true. Must say before this season i didn't think he was good enough, i never abused him but i couldn't see how he could be helpful to us , other than throwing him on in the last 10 and hitting some long balls up to him when we were desperate for a goal. Before this season if you asked supporters if we should hold onto him, i'm absolutely certain that 90% of us would have said no. But that's part of the beauty of football, things can change around quickly.  I hold my hands up after this season as he's been brilliant when he stepped in, we really needed him and he produced for us. Just shows how much football has to do with confidence. I was hoping he would sign again, but i don't think he will now.

That interview has put me off him a little bit, didn't come across well. As others have said he's paid very well to play football and within reason needs to have a thick skin and accept that football fans are fickle and they will love him when he's playing well and the opposite when he's not, that's life isn't it. I cannot comment about the abuse he has received though as i haven't witnessed any of that.

41 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

I wonder how many on here defending him & slagging off the haters are the same ones that used to abuse him?

Personally I think the lad should move on, I'd like him to stay but next year they'll be more competition for places, so whilst he's in his prime now, I wouldn't blame him at all & think it would be right for his career.

A chap called "Big Rons Sovereign" is one of the haters,really has a downer on him.

Circa £15,000 a week suggests a lotta love from club.

And also why Atty didn't do one when on bench for past few years. Can't have it all.

Yes, end -of - contract performances great but rest - see also Norwich game where he tried to trap ball 3 times and went yards away from him. 

I'd forgot about this couple who were abusing him and then having a go at us during the Rangers friendly for defending him was all very strange plus they seemed to get angrier everytime we laughed at there insane ramblings.

Infact wish I knew who they were as might be an idea for somebody to check in on them.

17 hours ago, MrTacoSWFC said:

I think this might be one of the factors of him staying or not... 

Fans really have got on his back at times, maybe he's finally had enough... he might want a change.

But hopefully he does genuinely wants to stay and can see past the negativity in the past.

Would really like him to sign a new deal, really showed what he's made of under Jos. 

i hope he does what's best for him, he's deserved that for his run in this season.

21 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

The club are in a no win situation on this one.

They've let his contract tick down... rightly imo..and now he's in fantastic form.

So..no fee.

and that's why i think he'll go, our backs are against the ffp wall, with only limited spends available.

whilst any club that isn't has the opportunity of signing a potent striker with 30 goal per season potential for wages only.

IF we were able to compete on any wage offer, would we want to?, or allow jos to bring in (perhaps) 2/3 players with that same money? bearing in mind atty's present form could just be a flash in the pan.

Nuhiu just highlights the differences between different types of fans. I'm not saying either is right/wrong, as it's all just opinion, but personally I genuinely do value 100% effort and commitment to the Wednesday cause above results and success. Lots of people think that's stupid and they might very well have a point.

For that reason I've always really liked Atdhe and been glad he's a Wednesday player, and of course right now I very much hope he stays with us.

However, I can't deny he's been pretty terrible on many occasions - the willing was always there, but sometimes the ability just wasn't. Obviously that would often have had a lot to do with rustiness, because he wasn't getting played very often for long spells, but thing is he did get chances to show himself (albeit usually in cameo form), and while he always battled like a trooper, for a good couple of years he didn't often take those chances in any emphatic way for a striker.

Anything beyond professional criticism is and always was beyond the pale, obviously. But for the sorts of fans who value results above all - and again, that's a perfectly normal and valid standpoint from which to support a sports club - I can't blame people one iota for having decided enough was enough a while ago. For all the mismanagement he suffered under CC, it's probably still fair to say that Nuhiu has been afforded a lot more patience overall than many players get at this level.

Anyway, well done to Atdhe, I'm chuffed to bits that his years of hard work are paying off this season. Hope he stays but would wish him well whatever he chooses; he's earned the right to decide his own path, which isn't a luxury he's had for a long while. Fair play big lad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not one to abuse our own players - and I bet those who do fall into 0.01% of the fan base - but I will express opinion on whether I rate them or not.

Regardless of Nuhiu's purple patch/resurrection/found his place under Jos, he's had plenty of negative comments directed at him - probably as a result of his goalscoring record at Wednesday over the 5 years he's been here. On the whole, it's been pretty woeful. I know many fans aren't bothered about a striker's goal ratio, and they're welcome to their opinion, but I do - I want strikers who score goals. If a striker goes a year without a goal, I'll most likely have a few negative comments to make.

The last 3 months, Nuhiu has been excellent - and deserved all the positives that have come his way. The same as when he went through another decent spell under Carlos, he got the deserved praise.

I have gone from "let him leave, hasn't done enough to warrant an extended stay" to "give him another season under Jos and see how it pans out".

But I won't be losing any sleep if Nuhiu decides to leave. And if the big man feels unloved, he's in the wrong job. Us football fans are known for loving one minute, and hating the next, and Nuhiu will get that at whichever club he decides to sign for.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

18 hours ago, SiJ said:

There's constructive criticism of a players and there's outright abuse. 

Unfortunately, Adthe has received a bit too much of the latter from some fans over the years. 

He seems like a pretty intelligent guy and no doubt some of the abuse has stung him. 

I hope he stays, but wouldn't begrudge him if he thinks it's time to move on.

Think he'd be a loss on and off the pitch. 

Hard to disagree with this. 

He gets an unjust amount of stick. I've been critical over the years and I think rightly so, but many fans cross the line and are just abusive. 

For a large part of his tenure here he has been poor. Very poor at times. You could never question his commitment however.

I'm not too fussed whether he stays or goes. If it's the man of the last few months i'd love him to stay, if it's the man of the most part before that, then he can go.

That said, I think Jos has a big part to play in this. He's managed to get all our forwards scoring, so some credit must go to him

18 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Unfortunately we have a boo boy element at the club.  Chris Brunt used to suffer it.  Adam Reach did and he's now player of the season.   Leon Clarke did and he was Championship top scorer for much of this season.

Even Carlton Palmer and Lee Chapman attracted ridiculous criticism.

Shame if Atdhe goes but I wouldn't blame him.   

John Sheridan also

Big Sam is getting a load of stick for guiding Everton to 8th in the Premier League, he will probably be sacked and spend some time in Moraira laughing his socks off and counting his pay off. Nuhiu will do well out of his time under Jos, either with us or more likely with a new club, good luck to the guy whichever option he chooses, however if I were him I’d screw SWFC for a mega pay deal.

Guest Jack the Hat
5 hours ago, oldowl67 said:

So you’re suggesting the fans who booed / screamed abuse at Sheridan were merely trying to motivate him to play better or make some lifestyle changes and be a better professional . Or was it more likely that they were enraged that their team was losing 2-0 at home to Oxford at a crucial stage of the season? That Sheridan turned the negative of that night into the positive of his subsequent performances that season surely highlights his strength of character rather than a vindication of the treatment he received from a vocal minority of fans. Not all targeted players are capable of that.

I'm not suggesting anything as the post is clear. That particular season I went to 51 games and that was the only one he was booed in. He was booed because a section of the crowd believed him to have been drunk the night before an important game and played a stinker. For the record I was a big sherry fan and argued with my mate about this - and had the last laugh when he scored the winner at Wembley. I wouldn't boo - in fact I got quite angry as it was only a rumour. Sheridan himself said in an interview after that it was the kick up his arse he needed. So, pal the only thing i am suggesting is that you read posts properly before going off in a rant. Sheridan wasn't 'targetted' it was related to an incident. If he was drunk the night before a match - he deserved it. They weren't trying to motivate him just let him know their feelings not just sat there like Stepford supporters. People are allowed opinions you know and if a footballer can't cope with criticism then there are plenty of other jobs they can do.

11 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

Big Sam is getting a load of stick for guiding Everton to 8th in the Premier League, he will probably be sacked and spend some time in Moraira laughing his socks off and counting his pay off. Nuhiu will do well out of his time under Jos, either with us or more likely with a new club, good luck to the guy whichever option he chooses, however if I were him I’d screw SWFC for a mega pay deal.

swfc can't afford a mega pay deal, and he'll get that anyway with no transfer fee.

i'm guessing the 'felt unloved' bit is a way of saying when i leave it's not all my own fault.

1 hour ago, LoadABallacks said:

For a large part of his tenure here he has been poor. Very poor at times. You could never question his commitment however.

You say that, yet Nuhiu didn't seem to be "unloved" when he was offered, and accepted, a 2-year contract extension in 2016 when most wanted him to be moved on because his form/contribution wasn't worth a contract extension. Yet, now Nuhiu is on fire and other clubs will be showing interest, he is "unloved" and doesn't seem in a hurry to sign this contract extension... Strange commitment is that!

4 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Im guessing we’ve offered a 1 year deal like Pudil and he wants longer which is understandable.

as for being unloved I think when you choose to have football as your career you have to learn to accept critiscism.

if I paid to go to a concert and the singer sang duff notes there may be some disgruntled people during and afterwards - likewise when a footballer can’t hit a cows a”” with a banjo, as has happened in the past 

Indeed, the best players just get on with playing and scoring goals. If he thinks we’ve been unkind, he may learn other clubs would be worse when a striker had only scored 1 in his last 44 games - or whatever stat it was at the time earlier this season. 

I think some people are mis-interpreting here - when he says he felt "unloved", I don't think he's talking about this season. At the start of the season Carlos wasn't playing him and we'd all but stopped considering Nuhiu really, and then as soon as the injury crisis hit peak levels and Jos played him he started banging them in and enjoyed a storming second half of the season. There's been no real instance of Nuhiu being singled out this season anything like as badly as in previous years.

The previous years are the problem, especially in Stuart Gray's season in charge when we had next to no money so Nuhiu and Stevie May were starting up front every week and he unfairly ended up being the outlet for much of the frustration we had at limited budgets etc.. Nuhiu was playing in a limited team, on a terrible pitch, with a striking partner who couldn't get anything going at all. I'm not absolving him of blame though - I think he's a much better player now than he was then, his finishing has improved and he's stopped missing those appalling sitters that left you with your head in your hands. Every single sodding week Owlstalk was just an endless string of "I told you so" threads, either from his supporters if he'd scored or his detractors if he hadn't, and it would go on for pages and pages. 

Of course it's going to be hard for him to shake the memory of getting pelters most weeks, because he has very much been singled out in a way that others haven't over the years. I really hope he doesn't leave, because personally I've always liked him - I acknowledge his flaws and limitations, but he works ridiculously hard and the moments where the ball seems to get stuck, he gets surrounded by about three opposition defenders and still manages to come galloping out the other side with the ball at his feet put a huge grin on your face. More importantly the squad seem to love him too, his interviews with The Times etc. show him to be an intelligent bloke and he's exactly the sort you'd want in the dressing room. If he leaves, I'd understand why but I really hope he doesn't, he'd be badly missed.

Somethings written on here about him are just abuse and should have been taken down by the admins.

If we lose him some fans will have played a big part in the decision.

• Haha 1