What/who do we need to improve the squad?

For me probably a centre half, maybe Danny Batth who was on loan here or Adam Webster at Ipswich.  As well as that, a left back/left wing back like Greg Cunningham or Jake Bidwell. Finally, maybe a combatitve box to box midfielder like Honeyman, Ojo at Scunthorpe, Alan Browne maybe. Probably three players needed, with their being obvious left wing back targets but there isn’t necessarily an obvious box to box midfielder shout. It is likely that we will also use the foreign market.

Will be interesting to see how baker can perform, but we do need a rwb, lwb, a centre midfield boss man and a winger that has done pace. After watching yesterday’s game I don’t think we to sign a lot of new players because we currently have a good quality squad when everyone is fit, I just think it needs freshening up but removing some big earners and bringing a few fresh faces in.

13 minutes ago, Animal said:

Will be interesting to see how baker can perform, but we do need a rwb, lwb, a centre midfield boss man and a winger that has done pace. After watching yesterday’s game I don’t think we to sign a lot of new players because we currently have a good quality squad when everyone is fit, I just think it needs freshening up but removing some big earners and bringing a few fresh faces in.

I would like a pacy winger, but it seems like we will be playing with 5 at the back so there will be no need for them.

Guest mkowl

Rwb was one of those I was targeting but if Ash Baker can keep up that standard then might not be necessary. 

If Venacio does get signed then perhaps we are ok at the centre of defence with Lees, Pudil, Thornily.

Lwb - I do think Reach could be #1. But we do need back up

Upfront we have plenty of options if all fit. In fact can see a couple of departures as we have 6 playing for 2 positions. Not sure a pacey winger is a requirement in the modern game if you have the likes of FF

That leaves midfield. Do we dare risk what was in effect a 2 man midfield. My concern is the amount of chances we concede so to me that box to box player is still the missing link

If we are playing a variation of 3-4-3 next season, we could do with a wide attacker with pace. Something different to what we’ve got.  We need a couple of players to compete with Hunt and Reach for the wing back roles. We either need another central defender or defensive midfielder dependant what we are going to do with Hutch.

Fox, Palmer, Boyd and Jones should not be in the picture. I’d sell Rhodes and get some funds in if possible. Then we have Abdi which we are stuck with. As long as Fletcher can get his fitness right, I’m sure he will give us an option up front next season.

54 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

Defenders and another ball winning CM who's good at closing down 

would settle for Keogh from Derby,would av Mcgeady back,and think Hoolahan from Norwich would be useful,

If we play the same formation that Jos has been doing then I think he will look to bring in one or two CBs (Venancio hopefully being one). Then a RWB to compete with Hunt and LWB to compete with Reach (although Penney should be given a shot). A holding midfielder is a must as we just can't rely on Hutchinson for any length of time. I can also see him bringing in a CM with a bit of guile too as without Bannan it's evident we are lacking. Finally a front man in the mould that Jos wants and I think someone like the Connor Wickham we had at the club a few years ago would be perfect.

So for me that's seven through the in door and probably the same out.

If we continue with 343, we need two wide midfielders who are good defending and going forward. K Lee if fit, could probably do the job on the right, but we will need a new left sided midfielder. Venancio and another cb will be required.  Ideally, we could do with another quality cm.  Apart from that, with a fully fit squad, we have enough to be more than competitive under JL.

I expect Reach, Lees, Rhodes, Winnall and one of the goalkeepers will not to be here next season.

I think Pelupessy improved a lot in those final 9 games, and would say like he seems to have the hang of the Championship now.

Having said that, I still think we need a more domineering physical presence in there. I like this 3-4-3 formation we set up with yesterday, and although it's quite fluid and changes depending on whether we're attacking or defending, there are times when it feels as though there really is just too little in midfield.

Possibly Pelupessy's the guy that can still do that and he does seem quite mobile actually which is important in that role as you don't have to have the size of a Toure or Viera to make it work just as Kanté proves whose ability to cover ground is phenomenal. Even so, I do think it's a key area for us to get right next season and I hope we'll strengthen in this area.

A domineering centre back and a pacy winger too, but these are things we've needed for a number of seasons anyway.