As I mentioned in the other thread, I was in agreement with most on here, I thought the lad did well However, on reflection, the amount of times his winger got to the byline and delivered an inviting cross, on another day we’d have conceded five

He wasn’t alone either, they got to line at will on our left as well Good job they couldn’t finish

3 hours ago, meggoisgod said:

I saw an air shot and let the ball roll out under no pressure.

I'll give him another go but I wasn't that impressed today

yeah i saw both of them too.

Probably makes his overall performance even better, i mean the air shot was his first touch, would have been SOOOOO easy to crumble and have a nightmare after that, but he put it behind him, picked himself up and played a blinder of a game tbf.

the only reason their score was on 0 at HT was because of this lad, and im not just talking about the sliding tackle in the area, he was brilliant defensively today.. things that dont come off for him further up the field, well im not too bothered about them atm, i mean, FF, Joao and atty all gave the ball away today, and mis-controlled it... so what,

footy, like golf is a game of best failures,  attacks fail most of the time, hence 0-0 or 1-0.   

quite happy to see 5 go in today.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

As I mentioned in the other thread, I was in agreement with most on here, I thought the lad did well However, on reflection, the amount of times his winger got to the byline and delivered an inviting cross, on another day we’d have conceded five

He wasn’t alone either, they got to line at will on our left as well Good job they couldn’t finish

but tbf if your playing 3/5 at the back you dont double up out wide so more crosses will come in,

rather than being paranoid about stopping them at source (something we failed to do under CCs 4-4-2 anyway) Jos looks to be solid in the middle with his 3CB and the extra CM you get in a 5-3-2.

Got over his early hiccup with the air shot to have a steady and assured game. Good blocks and tackles. Fred encouraged him through the game which was nice to see. 

Was available in attacking areas but was often not passed to. 

Even if these kids don't end up being top class players you can't help think having them in the squad, coming in and doing a job is good for the dynamic. Other players need to show maturity and leadership to help them out.

15 minutes ago, GY-owl.4 said:

but tbf if your playing 3/5 at the back you dont double up out wide so more crosses will come in,

rather than being paranoid about stopping them at source (something we failed to do under CCs 4-4-2 anyway) Jos looks to be solid in the middle with his 3CB and the extra CM you get in a 5-3-2.

No I understand why it kept happening, so maybe it’s a fault with the system Anyway, it made for an enjoyable watch

Looks a natural defender which given we want to play different systems will stand him in good stead in regards to being involved especially as palmer is likely to leave and hunt is injury prone. Like all the other young lads given a chance lately I can't see him being a regular starter as yet I think jos is looking to cover some of the inevitable departures from within rather than wasting money better used elsewhere 

18 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Haha. I remember Steve Haslam’s debut in an end of season fixture against Liverpool and everyone thought we had a future England player on our hands. And as for Francesco Sanetti: scored a consolation in final minute of the season and suddenly he is Marco Van Basten.

Haslam had a good record at England schoolboys level - the fact that he didn't have a great career with us was nothing to do with his ability. 

Mind you I thought Sanetti would win us the league single handedly so what do I know...

6 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Surely his ability (or lack of) is exactly why he had an indifferent career?

Lots of players with ability don't fulfil their potential for numerous reasons - we've had our fair share (Ranger and Bothroyd in recent years) - in Haslam's case he struggled to cope with the pressure - all the ability in the wrld can't compensate for that