Average weekly wage bill in the Championship

To me, this table shows that if you spend the most then the odds are that you are going to finish there or thereabouts.   Always going to get clubs who 'overachieve' or 'underachieve'.

So many other factors to take into account these figures on there own prove little in the cold light of day.

And we all cherrypicking stats to suit our poorly thought out arguments, we need the mathematicians to produce spreadsheets and colourful graphs.

1 hour ago, Morepork said:

Just playing devil's advocate here mate so bear with me..... I agree about the underachievement vs. the other clubs, we're paying top end wages and not getting VFM by any means, that is a given. But, as it is generally accepted the CC didn't sign the players and 100% accepted that he didn't negotiate the contracts is it really his underachievement? I suppose the bottom line is the same, but for me, the underachievement rests with the club at the highest level and not the manager. You could argue its pedantic and the end result is the same but, I think it's important that we acknowledge where the responsibility really lies.

I'm a few IPA's and a couple of glasses of Marlborough Pinot into my Saturday night here but I'd welcome your thoughts? lol

My first thought, given that it’s 9.30 am here, is that you either live down-under or you have a serious drinking problem.

You could argue in hindsight, that Abdi and Matias were horrendous buys, and Butterfield an awful loan, but even if Carlos didn’t choose his toys, to be bought FF, Bannan, Hooper, Rhodes, Hunt, Pudil, Fletcher, Wallace, Joao and Reach was just amazing. Was 6th and 4th better than Par? Lets give him credit and say it’s at least Par.

But the position and the mess he left us in this season was way over par. We can also compare his record this season with Jos. Carlos had all of the above, with the exception of FF, for most of his tenure this season, but either used them badly, broke them, or didn’t even play them.  Jos’s recent run, when he got some of them back, has far outshone Carlos’s months.

But you are right; the club is not blameless. The Chairman should have seen through the under-performance earlier, and should have been alert to the culprit of the ludicrous injury-crisis much sooner.

The Chairman selects the manager, and the Chairman retains (or not) the Manager. Chansiri made a big mistake last Summer. But he has eventually unpicked his mistake and I am hugely optimistic about his new man. I am probably in a minority because I rate our squad very highly. Without a single buy I believe it good enough for top 6. With a tweak or two, proper responsible professional man-management, and a tiny bit of luck, I see top two.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

My first thought, given that it’s 9.30 am here, is that you either live down-under or you have a serious drinking problem.

You could argue in hindsight, that Abdi and Matias were horrendous buys, and Butterfield an awful loan, but even if Carlos didn’t choose his toys, to be bought FF, Bannan, Hooper, Rhodes, Hunt, Pudil, Fletcher, Wallace, Joao and Reach was just amazing. Was 6th and 4th better than Par? Lets give him credit and say it’s at least Par.

But the position and the mess he left us in this season was way over par. We can also compare his record this season with Jos. Carlos had all of the above, with the exception of FF, for most of his tenure this season, but either used them badly, broke them, or didn’t even play them.  Jos’s recent run, when he got some of them back, has far outshone Carlos’s months.

But you are right; the club is not blameless. The Chairman should have seen through the under-performance earlier, and should have been alert to the culprit of the ludicrous injury-crisis much sooner.

The Chairman selects the manager, and the Chairman retains (or not) the Manager. Chansiri made a big mistake last Summer. But he has eventually unpicked his mistake and I am hugely optimistic about his new man. I am probably in a minority because I rate our squad very highly. Without a single buy I believe it good enough for top 6. With a tweak or two, proper responsible professional man-management, and a tiny bit of luck, I see top two.

To be fair to him he did mention Saturday night

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

or our players are massively overpaid ......

I think Hooper, FF, Fletcher, Reach, Hunt, Wallace, Rhodes, Bannan, Westwood, Lees, Lee and Pudil would have got the same wage at most top 8 Championship clubs.

I think Boyd and Jones would have been sought after in back-up roles, though we probably envisaged Boyd playing a lead-role rather than an extra.

25 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I'm going to say yes on both counts tonight! Hopefully, the later is temporary....!! lol

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I think Hooper, FF, Fletcher, Reach, Hunt, Wallace, Rhodes, Bannan, Westwood, Lees, Lee and Pudil would have got the same wage at most top 8 Championship clubs.

I think Boyd and Jones would have been sought after in back-up roles, though we probably envisaged Boyd playing a lead-role rather than an extra.

5th placed budget 4th placed finish doesn't sound like underachievement to me .....the video that was one here a month or  two back from those financial bloggers said our budget for this year would be somewhere around 8th so I guess we've failed this season but with how this season panned out with injuries then it's understandable .

2 hours ago, Morepork said:

Just playing devil's advocate here mate so bear with me..... I agree about the underachievement vs. the other clubs, we're paying top end wages and not getting VFM by any means, that is a given. But, as it is generally accepted the CC didn't sign the players and 100% accepted that he didn't negotiate the contracts is it really his underachievement? I suppose the bottom line is the same, but for me, the underachievement rests with the club at the highest level and not the manager. You could argue its pedantic and the end result is the same but, I think it's important that we acknowledge where the responsibility really lies.

I'm a few IPA's and a couple of glasses of Marlborough Pinot into my Saturday night here but I'd welcome your thoughts? lol

This is a very important point as too many think this issue left us with CC. 

We we have had very poor value for money from both our transfer fees and players wages and the ones responsible for this are still with the club.

1 minute ago, Wakefield owl said:

We we have had very poor value for money from both our transfer fees and players wages and the ones responsible for this are still with the club.

Thank you!! I think we've reached a consensus that everyone at the club is to blame!! lol

53 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I was inclined to agree with this until you mentioned Rhodes as that's when it really started to go wrong. A manager's worse nightmare to have a player with a massive transfer fee and wages but hopelessly out of form.

You also understate the extent of our injuries in the first half of this season.

20 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

he would be , he owns it ......

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

But the position and the mess he left us in this season was way over par,

We cannot do much about the "Carlos Years" now, apart from clear up the mess that is left.

I'm glad you think so highly of the remainder of the squad for next season, but the problem is that we will have to sell at least one if not two of our bigger names this summer, in order to avoid the full impact of FFP fallout. It is easy to see where the expected loss for this year is expected at over £15m, given that wage bill, the Rhodes factor and the reduction in season ticket sales etc. that loss has to be brought down significantly and the only way to do that AND provide Jos with a modest amount to play with in the transfer market to fill our problem positions, is to SELL players, where he can.

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

if that list is from last season as the accounts for this season  wouldn't be out yet then with the 5th highest wage bill our 4th place finish is about right .....

Could do with knowing where the source came from this thread on the Norwich forum. Can't see Sunderland having an average weekly playing wage of £14,310 in the Premier League last season, with players like Rodwell on £70,000, O'Shea and Cattermole will have been on hefty sums too plus experienced players like Seb Larsson, Defoe, Borini and Anichebe. They would also have had fewer youngsters in the first team squad as well last season.

1 hour ago, Whatahoot said:

We cannot do much about the "Carlos Years" now, apart from clear up the mess that is left.

I'm glad you think so highly of the remainder of the squad for next season, but the problem is that we will have to sell at least one if not two of our bigger names this summer, in order to avoid the full impact of FFP fallout. It is easy to see where the expected loss for this year is expected at over £15m, given that wage bill, the Rhodes factor and the reduction in season ticket sales etc. that loss has to be brought down significantly and the only way to do that AND provide Jos with a modest amount to play with in the transfer market to fill our problem positions, is to SELL players, where he can.

Who says we have to sell?