Average weekly wage bill in the Championship

Had a quick look on the Norwich forum to see what they thought about tomorrow’s match an a main topic was the below.

Do we think that’s accurate? I expected Wolves, Sunderland to be higher....

Villa £25,566 
Middlesboro £23,272 
Derby £ 17,437 
Norwich £15,616 
Sheff Wed £15,226 
Fulham £14,826 
Wolves £14,453 
Sunderland £14,310 
Nottm Forest £12,068 
Reading £11,005 
Hull £10,918 
Birmingham £10,707 
Cardiff £10,220 
Leeds £8,952 
QPR £7,971 
Binners £7,250 
Bristol City £7,032 
Brentford £6,913 
Sheff Utd £6,268 
Bolton £6,208 
Burton £4,559 
Preston £4,276 
Millwall £4,017 
Barnsley £3,882

3 minutes ago, Pod9 said:

Expected Burton to be the lowest. 

And who are Binners? 

Ipswich. No idea why.

Preston, Millwall, Brentford, Bristol City and Cardiff stand out. By contrast, Carlos hugely under-achieved.

Wolves and Sunderland have got a sprinkling of very high profile names (Rodwell, O’Shea, Neves, Costa)... but the rest are mostly youngsters in Sunderland’s case or players with steady reputations in Wolves’s.

Im surprised were not higher than Norwich to be honest. It’s yet More evidence to suggest we’ve been among the leagues biggest hitters in terms of spending and did no more than achieve par under Carlos before it all fell apart this season. 

50 minutes ago, Box_Man said:

Had a quick look on the Norwich forum to see what they thought about tomorrow’s match an a main topic was the below.

Villa £25,566 
Middlesboro £23,272 
Derby £ 17,437 
Norwich £15,616 
Sheff Wed £15,226 
Fulham £14,826 
Wolves £14,453 
Sunderland £14,310 
Nottm Forest £12,068 
Reading £11,005 
Hull £10,918 
Birmingham £10,707 
Cardiff £10,220 
Leeds £8,952 
QPR £7,971 
Binners £7,250 
Bristol City £7,032 
Brentford £6,913 
Sheff Utd £6,268 
Bolton £6,208 
Burton £4,559 
Preston £4,276 
Millwall £4,017 
Barnsley £3,882

Yep I think that's pretty accurate if anything Wednesday and Wolves average will be higher , without being picky it's not actually the average weekly wage bill it's the average weekly earnings for playing staff .

Edited by Owl999

54 minutes ago, Box_Man said:

Villa £25,566 
Middlesboro £23,272 
Derby £ 17,437 
Norwich £15,616 
Sheff Wed £15,226 
Fulham £14,826 
Wolves £14,453 
Sunderland £14,310 
Nottm Forest £12,068 
Reading £11,005 
Hull £10,918 
Birmingham £10,707 
Cardiff £10,220 
Leeds £8,952 
QPR £7,971 
Binners £7,250 
Bristol City £7,032 
Brentford £6,913 
Sheff Utd £6,268 
Bolton £6,208 
Burton £4,559 
Preston £4,276 
Millwall £4,017 
Barnsley £3,882

If it’s accurate it just demonstrates how much we have gone for it and we have no parachute payments.

48 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Ipswich. No idea why.

Preston, Millwall, Brentford, Bristol City and Cardiff stand out. By contrast, Carlos hugely under-achieved.

Just playing devil's advocate here mate so bear with me..... I agree about the underachievement vs. the other clubs, we're paying top end wages and not getting VFM by any means, that is a given. But, as it is generally accepted the CC didn't sign the players and 100% accepted that he didn't negotiate the contracts is it really his underachievement? I suppose the bottom line is the same, but for me, the underachievement rests with the club at the highest level and not the manager. You could argue its pedantic and the end result is the same but, I think it's important that we acknowledge where the responsibility really lies.

I'm a few IPA's and a couple of glasses of Marlborough Pinot into my Saturday night here but I'd welcome your thoughts? lol

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Ipswich. No idea why.

or our players are massively overpaid ......

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Just playing devil's advocate here mate so bear with me..... I agree about the underachievement vs. the other clubs, we're paying top end wages and not getting VFM by any means, that is a given. But, as it is generally accepted the CC didn't sign the players and 100% accepted that he didn't negotiate the contracts is it really his underachievement? I suppose the bottom line is the same, but for me, the underachievement rests with the club at the highest level and not the manager. You could argue its pedantic and the end result is the same but, I think it's important that we acknowledge where the responsibility really lies.

I'm a few IPA's and a couple of glasses of Marlborough Pinot into my Saturday night here but I'd welcome your thoughts? lol

I understand the point you are making but you could look at it the other way. DC paid transfer fees and wages at the top level for this league, he provided CC with quality players but CC wasn't able to use them effectively. As he was supposedly a coach rather than a manager it's his job to work with the players at his disposal to achieve the target set for him which was promotion.

I don't agree that "as it is generally accepted the CC didn't sign the players."  It has been suggested but the club and Carlos both said he was heavily involved in the choice of players.

36 minutes ago, Morepork said:

No he didn’t negotiate contracts but I wonder how many managers do? But he always insisted he identified the players so can’t agree with your “ widely accepted” comment. Either way he had some top class players on good money and failed to deliver. Let’s see what Jo’s can do with the same or similar players.

12 minutes ago, prowl said:

I understand the point you are making but you could look at it the other way. DC paid transfer fees and wages at the top level for this league, he provided CC with quality players but CC wasn't able to use them effectively. As he was supposedly a coach rather than a manager it's his job to work with the players at his disposal to achieve the target set for him which was promotion.

I don't agree that "as it is generally accepted the CC didn't sign the players."  It has been suggested but the club and Carlos both said he was heavily involved in the choice of players.

I guess the right answer is that the club has underachieved at all levels, certainly this season. Everything points to our model changing under Jos so it will be interesting to see if we can reverse our fortunes.

My intention was the write -  "as it is generally accepted that CC didn't sign all the players." as I'm missing keywords and the wine is still flowing here I'm signing off before I start defending Carlos to the death, whoops I may have already done that in another thread!!! lol

Paying high wages, as we do, means that it is possible to tempt players away from other clubs in the Championship or compete with them for transfer targets. On the other hand if they don't come good it is very hard to get rid of them as we have seen. It is vital we get value for money and clearly we haven't this season.

15 minutes ago, Animis said:

I think our average will be affected by three or four highly paid individuals.

So why aren't Wolves?

Or is it that their figures are affected by a few exceptionally low paid players/