Westwood will be Off

Guest Arcadianrocket

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Top post!! Whilst I love Westy, I’m past 5 years I’ve feared he’d leave twice on a run down contract. If he’s not looking to sign an extension we need to cash in ASAP and put our faith in the young lads we have here. 

Pretty much. 

It's highly unlikely we are offering him a new deal on the same terms he's on right now. 

Fantastic servant and - in an ideal world - we would keep him, but I can only see him leaving this summer. Better than him leaving on a free next year. 

Just now, SiJ said:

Pretty much. 

It's highly unlikely we are offering him a new deal on the same terms he's on right now. 

Fantastic servant and - in an ideal world - we would keep him, but I can only see him leaving this summer. Better than him leaving on a free next year. 

I see where you are coming from, but I honestly believe this summer or next - he leaves on a free.    The value he holds to us is less than it was, his value to others is now more of a gamble and we really could do with the wages off the payroll.

1 minute ago, HubristicClapper said:

I see where you are coming from, but I honestly believe this summer or next - he leaves on a free.    The value he holds to us is less than it was, his value to others is now more of a gamble and we really could do with the wages off the payroll.

Perhaps. 

As you say, will any other team take him now for the wages he's on with us? 

Could very well be an issue for a lot of our supposed top earners, even a Nando. 

Whilst I don’t know the severity of our financial plight, I’d like to think we’d try and keep all our best players (including Westwood) for one last promotion tilt before this squad is broken up next summer

Guest wilyfox

There needs to be some movement in order for us to improve. A few players may need to be sacrificed. Westwood is a logical candidate.

i don't share the belief that getting our injured players back will solve our problems and make us good enough to go up. 

18 minutes ago, Stoop said:

Whilst I don’t know the severity of our financial plight, I’d like to think we’d try and keep all our best players (including Westwood) for one last promotion tilt before this squad is broken up next summer

I think sentiment gets in the way, particularly with Westwood & Hutchinson. As a keeper he made at least 5 errors last season that led to goals being conceded.

Our reported financial position means something has to change, I reckon we've seen the last of both. Great servants, but financial survival has to come first.

8 hours ago, wilyfox said:

There needs to be some movement in order for us to improve. A few players may need to be sacrificed. Westwood is a logical candidate.

i don't share the belief that getting our injured players back will solve our problems and make us good enough to go up. 

I do

This squad got us within a game of promotion 2 years running

Guest wilyfox
12 minutes ago, Stoop said:

I do

This squad got us within a game of promotion 2 years running

Minus Loovens and Wallace whom were in good form, and a number of key players like Lee and Hooper suffering recurring injuries. Not confident they'll stay fit when they return. 

21 hours ago, Arcadianrocket said:

Hutch would not get injured as much at center back.

Knacker*d knees are knacker*d knees. Doesn't matetr what position you play. Its not just that is it, his disciplinary record isn't that great

26 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

Knacker*d knees are knacker*d knees. Doesn't matetr what position you play. Its not just that is it, his disciplinary record isn't that great

"Yes but he was great two three seasons ago" ergo he will be great once he gets over his injuries (except he never does).

Always the same on Owlstalk, people let sentiment over past performance get in the way of the brutal realities of the sport.

Our attitude in such situations should always be "thanks son you've done a great job for us but I'm afraid it's time to move you on". It's what all the great teams and managers in the past have done, be it Busby, Ferguson, Shankly, Paisley, Dalglish, Clough or Revie. Sadly it's a lesson we don't seem to have ever learned regardless of who is in charge.

4 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

"Yes but he was great two three seasons ago" ergo he will be great once he gets over his injuries (except he never does).

Always the same on Owlstalk, people let sentiment over past performance get in the way of the brutal realities of the sport.

Our attitude in such situations should always be "thanks son you've done a great job for us but I'm afraid it's time to move you on". It's what all the great teams and managers in the past have done, be it Busby, Ferguson, Shankly, Paisley, Dalglish, Clough or Revie. Sadly it's a lesson we don't seem to have ever learned regardless of who is in charge.

Hutchinson had a fractured bone misdiagnosed didn’t he

Not many players in our squad came through last season’s fitness  negligence unscathed really. I think it’s worth seeing what happens when everyone gets a proper pre season under their belt 

On 08/06/2018 at 18:10, handworth52 said:

I saw Hutchinson today ,strangely in darnall ,he ran across prince wales road into post office I think ,defo not limping or owt. as for cb yes defo can play there and far more chance of not getting injured in that position rather than in centre mid where he is very prone to rash tackles. 

Posting letters to random people just saying ‘IM FIT TO PLAY NOW’.

Edited by Sonny

1 hour ago, Stoop said:

Hutchinson had a fractured bone misdiagnosed didn’t he

Not many players in our squad came through last season’s fitness  negligence unscathed really. I think it’s worth seeing what happens when everyone gets a proper pre season under their belt 

It's a fair comment to a point but bear in mind that the window closes much earlier this season so there will be less time to judge for the managers. Some mistakes are bound to be made.