Westwood will be Off

Guest Arcadianrocket

1 hour ago, HubristicClapper said:

Two points

As already suggested above, Keepers have longevity about 6 or 7 years above outfield players.

Also I don't anticipate any of the big earners will leave unless a mid table prem side come in for them.   A bottom Prem side and i'd be shocked if the likes of Bannan, Westwood etc would go for, but a mid table side?   That'd be different.

Only problem with this is that our goalie seems to be injured quite a lot, so his longevity might not be what the norm is.

If a good offer came in, we should let him go, I dont believe we will receive one based on his injury record, so immaterial really.

Edited by daleblue

I dont want him to go but i can see it happening. 

for a few reasons but one of them is him having 1 year left on his contract.

the alternative is offer him a new deal in pre season... can anyone see jos doing that having not seen him play and with the way he rates the 2 youngsters?

Had he 2 years left i think we would keep him and play him, knowing good form may see an offer come in, and we may still do that next season but look to sell in january, but that would be a risk as the contract would fast be counting down, not to mention another injury hit season this year would also mean we lose him for nowt.

with FFP also on the horizon i cant see for one minute that he will play for us next season,

• Like 1

Guest Arcadianrocket

Shall we get rid of Hooper and Lee then as they have missed much of the season.

Just now, AracdianDreamer said:

Shall we get rid of Hooper and Lee then as they have missed much of the season.

have we got adequate replacements?

do they have 1 year left on their contract?

will there be clubs trying to buy them?

its not footy manager is it, each player needs to be looked at on their own merits.

2 hours ago, WalkleyWeds said:

Could see him going to stoke when Butland leaves after their relegation. 

Weve got two quality young keepers and I don’t think it would hurt to reinvest his transfer fee. 

I can see Butland going to Liverpool 

My take on it is that Westwood will only leave if we get a very good offer for him. If not then he will be number one next season and then I think Jos will send out on loan the keeper who will possibly take over from Westwood  (IMO will probably be Dawson ).

5 hours ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Taking the money and losing his wages makes perfect sense given our finances, his age and being in the last year of his contract next season. 

So come on then Rich spill the beans on our finances in detail. I don't have a clue. Our Chairman is minted ! Is he ? well all this FFP stuff ! What stuff ?

I was just thinking the other day, people keep saying FFP doesn't impact on Development squad. So if you buy several 21 year olds who play more in Dev squad than first team, that doesn't hurt you ...This is a question not a fact. Thing is the rules on FFP are not transparent maybe the whole FFP thing was designed to entrap Wednesday !

Chairman doesn't clarify, Managers, succession of, never clarify. Wolves spend astronomical amounts commentators remain silent.   

6 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

The fact is that I sincerely hope you are right and that if anything close to such an offer comes in we bite their hands off for it for the following reasons:

1. If we allow his contract to run down we'll get nothing for him
  2. He is starting to have injury problems which means he may be difficult to move on and he may not be anywhere near as good as he was
  3. Cameron Dawson
  4. Jack Wildsmith

Next topic please!

Hate to be that guy, but I think you’ll find his name’s Carl Dawson.

8 hours ago, Owl14 said:

Buffon is still at the top of his game and he’s 40 

if anything he got better once he past 30 

You are comparing Westwood to one of the best keepers ever ..... okay .

buffon also wasn’t a crock , Westwood has been throughout his career.

all those waffling on about keepers peaks, Westwood has peaked already and is on the slide . Injuries have well and truly taken their toll. I can’t understand anybody that wouldn’t agree moving him on to free up wages and allow our very talented younger lads to fight it out isn’t the best way to go. Luckily it seems as though jos agrees. Westwood’s wage can be used far better elsewhere 

If a decent offer comes in for him, I think he will leave.

We may well need his wage off the books to help with FFP.

If the likes of Westwood, Loovens and Wallace leave so we can afford to keep the likes of FF and Reach so be it.

6 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

So come on then Rich spill the beans on our finances in detail. I don't have a clue. Our Chairman is minted ! Is he ? well all this FFP stuff ! What stuff ?

I was just thinking the other day, people keep saying FFP doesn't impact on Development squad. So if you buy several 21 year olds who play more in Dev squad than first team, that doesn't hurt you ...This is a question not a fact. Thing is the rules on FFP are not transparent maybe the whole FFP thing was designed to entrap Wednesday !

Chairman doesn't clarify, Managers, succession of, never clarify. Wolves spend astronomical amounts commentators remain silent.   

Spill the beans? 

Doesnt seem like rocket science - we lost circa £20m on last accounts? And FFP acceptable losses are £39m over 3 seasons?

It’s primary school maths - we can’t keep doing what we did last year. 

Wolves may have spent big but they have of course got promoted within 3 years so the gamble worked.

It might be a case of if we can get money we take it. Need to balance the books and with two quality young keepers on the books, I certainly wouldn't have a problem with going into the season with a Wildsmith/Dawson combo.

I was told about 2 months ago by a mate who knows someone close to the goalkeeping set up at Hillsborough that Westwood had been told to find a new club at the end of the season. I think it would suit all parties especially if a deal with Celtic can be done as Westwood gets a move to a club that will win honours and the chance to play in Europe. Wednesday get a fee if possible which will help FFP and one of the larger wages of books. Westwood would leave with a massive thank you from all the fans and we have two excellent young keepers to compete to be number 1 next season. Also another young keeper coming through who has just been offered a new deal who maybe loaned out next season to get some 'mans' football.