Westwood will be Off

Guest Arcadianrocket

38 minutes ago, AracdianDreamer said:

It's not idle speculation really though is it..

If Jos decided he is too old when we have two younger keepers then he will be off.......because a host of sides would pay 3-4m for him. Fact.

The fact is that I sincerely hope you are right and that if anything close to such an offer comes in we bite their hands off for it for the following reasons:

1. If we allow his contract to run down we'll get nothing for him
  2. He is starting to have injury problems which means he may be difficult to move on and he may not be anywhere near as good as he was
  3. Cameron Dawson
  4. Jack Wildsmith

Next topic please!

• Thanks 2

Guest Arcadianrocket
26 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

It is idle speculation Rocket based on baseless assumptions.

Westwood is a top keeper while Wallace was never one of the best wingers in the league. Plus keepers have ability to play longer than wingers. He may go if we command a fee but he hasn’t got a chance under Jos due to injuries.

It's knowing we have two good young keepers, the fact that Jos clearly is looking more at youth, that got me thinking the possibility of Jos cashing in on Westwood is a real one. Not one I want but it would not surprise me.

1 hour ago, AracdianDreamer said:

If Jos decided he is too old when we have two younger keepers then he will be off.......because a host of sides would pay 3-4m for him. Fact.

This post DEFINES " idle speculation".

4 million for an aging keeper in the last year of his contract is highly unlikely ......I don't see a prem club wanting him and not many if any championship clubs would pay that sort of money for him .....

35 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

The fact is that I sincerely hope you are right and that if anything close to such an offer comes in we bite their hands off for it for the following reasons:

1. If we allow his contract to run down we'll get nothing for him
  2. He is starting to have injury problems which means he may be difficult to move on and he may not be anywhere near as good as he was
  3. Cameron Dawson
  4. Jack Wildsmith

Next topic please!

For me this post is 100% spot on. Westwood has been a great servant, but a move should suit everyone. He’ll no doubt find a club playing at a higher level and command higher wages. We should receive some well needed funds to reinvest in more needed areas (full backs for me) and allow Cameron and Wildsmith to fight it out.

£3-4m

:biggrin:

Sure, sure

Two points

As already suggested above, Keepers have longevity about 6 or 7 years above outfield players.

Also I don't anticipate any of the big earners will leave unless a mid table prem side come in for them.   A bottom Prem side and i'd be shocked if the likes of Bannan, Westwood etc would go for, but a mid table side?   That'd be different.

Guest ka58

If someone offered us decent cash for Westwood we should take it.

the two young lads are capable and it would free up some cash for other areas.

If letting go of Westwood freed us up a bit in terms of spending it would be worth considering if it meant we could strengthen elsewhere. Not much a top keeper can do if we're giving away sloppy goals like we have at times this season.

In an ideal world, Westwood is our number one next season.

The absolute truth is we have two very good keepers beyond Westwood - and should we get the ability to free up Westwood's wages then maybe we should seriously consider it.   Even more so if we get offered a fee for him.

We are not in trouble in the position of keeper.   Regardless of who out of Westwood, Dawson or Wildsmith we have in the net.    It's one of only two positions we are spoilt for choice in.    Obviously the other being striker.

45 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

He’s consistently shown he’s the best in the division. Why would we let him go ?

The other two are learning their  trade, let them learn it from Westwood !

Better to let him go now for some dosh, rather than next year for nothing.

Wouldnt offer him a new deal, was hardly pulling any trees up before being injured then misses nearly 2/3 of the season.

Take the money, we have adequate replacement in Dawson more experience is all he needs.