I'm bemoaning the loss of my favourite player, Ross Wallace

And I can't help wonder if we the supporters underestimate the value of our right hand side

Ross was a clever player who played up and down the right with great aplomb, but he never had his own song

We've also got Jack Hunt who does a sterling job up and down the right, but he too doesn't have his own song

Looking back over recent history, and one of the best players to patrol this flank was Lewis Buxton, he too never had a song

What is it about our right hand side?

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

17 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Looking back over recent history, and one of the best players to patrol this flank was Lewis Buxton

Liked Lewis fine, but...good grief, that's a bleak statement. Not wrong, either.

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Looking back over recent history, and one of the best players to patrol this flank was Lewis Buxton, he too never had a song.

Have I been dreaming? I'm sure he did have a song.

24 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

And I can't help wonder if we the supporters underestimate the value of our right hand side

Ross was a clever player who played up and down the right with great aplomb, but he never had his own song

We've also got Jack Hunt who does a sterling job up and down the right, but he too doesn't have his own song

Looking back over recent history, and one of the best players to patrol this flank was Lewis Buxton, he too never had a song

That's a long-winded post just to get the Lewis Buxton song going again!

Wallace will be difficult to replace. He was an extremely underrated player by many of our fans. 

That said, I think it was the right decision not to renew his contract. 

I've no doubt he could still do a job at this level, and I'm sure he'll find himself at another Championship club next season. However, the next two or three transfer windows, are all about shaping the immediate future of this football club. Luhukay's ultimate remit is promotion. But before that, he's responsible for overseeing a complete change to the makeup of our squad. And unfortunately, the likes of Wallace and Loovens are the first casualties of that transformation.

In terms of replacing Wallace, I'm not sure we will as such. This season we have almost exclusively played 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. Wallace has only played in the central areas in those systems, where we are well covered. And when we have played 3-4-3, Luhukay has gone with 3 genuine strikers/wide forwards rather than wide midfielders in the attacking strata. Wallace's game is suited to a traditional wide midfielder in a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1...if Luhukay is to opt for a 4 man defence, I think he'll look to play the double pivot and playing 4 more genuine attacking players in the advanced positions. 

If Wallace's wages (which I don't think will be ridiculously high in comparison to the rest of the squad by the way), can bring in a young, player in a position we need strengthening, then the squad as a whole will be better off for it. What we'll miss in the dressing room, only the players and the staff will know. 

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Right wingers will never get much support here with all the lefty do gooders etc etc.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Wallace will be difficult to replace. He was an extremely underrated player by many of our fans. 

I've no doubt he could still do a job at this level, and I'm sure he'll find himself at another Championship club next season. However, the next two or three transfer windows, are all about shaping the immediate future of this football club. Luhukay's ultimate remit is promotion. But before that, he's responsible for overseeing a complete change to the makeup of our squad. And unfortunately, the likes of Wallace and Loovens are the first casualties of that transformation.

In terms of replacing Wallace, I'm not sure we will as such. This season we have almost exclusively played 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. Wallace has only played in the central areas in those systems, where we are well covered. And when we have played 3-4-3, Luhukay has gone with 3 genuine strikers/wide forwards rather than wide midfielders in the attacking strata. Wallace's game is suited to a traditional wide midfielder in a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1...if Luhukay is to opt for a 4 man defence, I think he'll look to play the double pivot and playing 4 more genuine attacking players in the advanced positions. 

If Wallace's wages (which I don't think will be ridiculously high in comparison to the rest of the squad by the way), can bring in a young, player in a position we need strengthening, then the squad as a whole will be better off for it. What we'll miss in the dressing room, only the players and the staff will know. 

Excellent post and agree with everything. 

JP McGovern was technically a better player in my opinion. Wallace was great for a scorcher or the big games.

But we have struggled for the last 18 months because not enough players have consistantly performed, no matter their ability, week-in and week-out.

Wallace falls into that category as does Loovens, Butterfield, Rhodes, Fox and Boyd.

Enough is enough. We need 46 game players prepared to chip in for 90 minutes at a time.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

on the right, on the right, Lewis Buxton

on the right he will run past you

lewis Buxton is the white Cafu.

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Waddle Wonderland...

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

We'll still have Matias and Stobbs to play on the wing if needed, but I can't see that happening much.

4 hours ago, Sheffwed94 said:

on the right he will run past you

lewis Buxton is the white Cafu.

Quite catchy that, wish we sang it when we had him

When you consider the forwards we have at the club, who can all head the ball it probably makes more sense to have a right winger who naturally uses his right boot. I agree that Wallace was a good player, but from a centre forwards perspective it’s no good when your right winger is constantly checking back onto his left foot.

6 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

When you consider the forwards we have at the club, who can all head the ball it probably makes more sense to have a right winger who naturally uses his right boot. I agree that Wallace was a good player, but from a centre forwards perspective it’s no good when your right winger is constantly checking back onto his left foot.

I've often thought about where Wallace should have played, on the left or right.  He's scored some absolute corkers coming back onto his left foot from the right.  He also can whip in a top class delivery from the left. 

First two goals against Arsenal sums him up.