Blast from the past - Graham Hyde

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Remember him scoring a diving header right in front of us and then lying there looking into the crowd with the biggest grin on his face having just lived out every Wednesday fans dream. 

I believe that season was one of those years that fans were able to buy season tickets in the leppings lane lower - and that was where me, my dad and my sister were sat.    For some strange reason I believe all Jones goals were scores at the kop end!   Strange but true.

Graham Hyde was a very good player.

He went under the radar a bit but he was class.

One of my most memorable memories of him was some commentator kept calling him Julian Hyde on the match of the day highlights and end of season videos. lol

He barely ever put a foot wrong, always seemed to give his all for the team and was tidy on the ball.

You won’t see a braver player pull on the shirt.

9 stone wet and had no problems whatsoever flying in to crunching tackles with Keane, robson, ince et al. Also had no fear on the ball. 

You sometimes see players who are mentally weak and shrink in the shirt. Hyde was the opposite. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

You won’t see a braver player pull on the shirt.

9 stone wet and had no problems whatsoever flying in to crunching tackles with Keane, robson, ince et al. Also had no fear on the ball. 

You sometimes see players who are mentally weak and shrink in the shirt. Hyde was the opposite. 

Type of player we need to bring in this summer.

Graham Hyde was the most underrated player to play for the Owls in my sixty years of support. Which is surprising when you consider his capabilities.

A very, very, talented pocket battleship.

All the best Graham.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NIOwl said:

I don't remember this Ryan Jones lad, no memory of him whatsoever. 

Looked a player.

He was a massive unit, sounds silly but was a bit like a poor mans yaya toure in that he looked like he had a bit too much timber but he could get around the pitch well and also could absolutely belt the ball.

Played 93/94 ish but got crocked and had to quit.

4 hours ago, steelerian said:

Didnt Tricky Trev once say in an interview that he would be playing for England if he wasnt so ugly? remarkable.

Hydey was a smashing player. But we were so spoiled in that era.

Now you've said it that rings a bell. 

Goes back to my point in the O.P about marketing. 

Like Blinker was rated by some ,I suspect because he had cool hair.

And why some folks liked Proudlock because he had flash white boots.

Can't remember who said it. Trevor Brooking or someone similar. But they insisted if Hyde was at Man Utd rather than us he'd be an England regular. 

Didnt he have a nasty injury in the Wimbledon Fa cup quarter final and was never the same again for us? 

• Like 1

On 04/05/2018 at 06:48, Mat-Owl said:

My all time favourite player, if he'd of played for Liverpool, Scum or a London club he'd of had an England cap!!

Mine too mat owl a fantastic player who gave 110% every game.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Paolo Coopio said:

Can't remember who said it. Trevor Brooking or someone similar. But they insisted if Hyde was at Man Utd rather than us he'd be an England regular. 

All goes back to that thing about image, branding, etc etc.

People are easily impressed by flashy sods. Including some managers! 

On 5/4/2018 at 21:15, Lord Snooty said:

Now you've said it that rings a bell. 

Goes back to my point in the O.P about marketing. 

Like Blinker was rated by some ,I suspect because he had cool hair.

And why some folks liked Proudlock because he had flash white boots.

Blinker was rated because he had an absolute barnstormer of a debut. Apart from a decent couple of games at the start of the following season he never got close to it.