One image sums it up for Atdhe

6 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Our modern day Mark Bright ....

Another who took a lot of stick despite being top scorer 3 years on the spin and popping up with some vital goals.

"He's scored 20 goals FFS!"

"Yeah well, he should have scored 40"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Credit where it is due, If someone had said to me in August last year that come our last away game of the season, I would be happy to see Atdhe starting up top I would have chocked on my Beer.  I have not been one of the most Vocal "get this man out of our club, he does nothing for us"  supporters among us but I will admit I wanted him moved on as for all his uses in the last 10/15 minutes of games I just could not warrant a starting place for him on any given week. 

Since the new manager has come in however he has played his way into the starting 11 and a new contract. His attitude towards his football has never been any sort of a question for me as you could always see he cared, tried and worked hard all the things the fans demand but under the previous manager he looked lost, shot on confidence and a spent force at Hillsborough. Not just the fact that he has found the back of the net this year but his confidence seems to have returned, he tries things that a few months ago he wouldn't have now this maybe because the pressure is off as he has been one of two fit strikers for the entire season and has played his way into form but I do feel some credit needs to go to the manager in this as well.  He has been played to his strengths and asked to do a job that he is "built" for, no longer does he attempt to hound and chase players down (I seem to remember a hilarious incident last year, opponent slips my mind but I know it was a night game with him running flat out across the pitch to try and close a player down). Nor do we just bang aimless balls somewhere near him and ask him to "gerroldofit" and both he and we have benefited from it. He has always IMO been better with the ball at his feet, his link play his improved as previously it was a 50/50 chance of him holding the ball up and picking the right option. He also now seems to win his fair share of headers, which was a huge gripe of mine. 

Looking objectively at it over the course of his entire stay at S6 has he done enough to secure a new long term contract ? I would argue unless you can guarantee someone like Fletcher or Winnall leaves probably not especially with the way the club is at the moment with FFP, the size of our squad etc.  In the last 5 months has he earned himself a year or two, absolutely. Regardless of the outcome of his current contract situation he will now always be remembered fondly among all Wednesday fans not just because of the aura of "Big Dave" but also for his footballing ability, which in 12 months from where we were is a huge turnaround for the player. 

So here's to you Atdhe Nuhiu, the Wednesday love you more than you will know...

• Like 3

One thing i've notice about the big man is that we always getthe sh1tty end of the referring stick when he is playing for us. Because of his size opposing defenders can pretty much do what they want to him and the ref's will very rarely call a foul. However if he so much as farts near a defender the ref's will call a foul against him. It's really weird, the same thing used to happen with Peter Crouch. Think they are just a victim of looking oversized and cumbersome lol 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Sticky belly said:

the same thing used to happen with Peter Crouch.

To be fair, every single time Crouch jumped for anything, he'd put his arm over the defenders shoulder. Didn't need to.. but did.. and he never seemed to learn that you can't do that.

• Like 1

Guest addedtime
2 hours ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Liked Brighty but that miss ......

meanwhile am having a poop at work and the door keeps being rattled. Better get off Owlstalk and do summat! 

It's that ***** from accounts isn't it?

9 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

Comparing him to Mark Bright now.

Priceless

We have compared Forestieri to Carbone.  So why not.

Next on the agenda.

Is Tom Lees actually better than Des Walker and will Adam Reach turn out to be better than Chris Waddle.

27 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Next on the agenda.

Is Tom Lees actually better than Des Walker and will Adam Reach turn out to be better than Chris Waddle.

Just that i dont think Brighty was ever 4th or 5th in pecking order

3 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Our modern day Mark Bright ....

Nah he is not that good modern day Andy Booth more like.

Bright scored goals every where he went he had two good feet and was a decent knock on No 10 - Nuihu's heading for a big man is very poor a lot like Peter Crouch when you have his height it has to be a weapon and with him it isn't.

Get some of the bulk off in the summer, maybe come back a bit more mobile and be able to play the full 90 minutes and also get rid of that stupid beard and maybe we might have a striker in him to help us push up the league next season.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Next on the agenda.

No I didn't what I said was Carbone played an attacking midfielder role and for 2 or 3 season he was our main goal threat and goal provider. Role forward nearly 20 years and Fessi is an attacking midfielder who has been our main goal threat for the last 2 to 3 years and also our main provider.

Carbone played at a higher level and for better teams and until Fessi can do it in the top flight he will never be in the same bracket as the little Italian.

11 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Nah he is not that good modern day Andy Booth more like.

Bright scored goals every where he went he had two good feet and was a decent knock on No 10 - Nuihu's heading for a big man is very poor a lot like Peter Crouch when you have his height it has to be a weapon and with him it isn't.

Get some of the bulk off in the summer, maybe come back a bit more mobile and be able to play the full 90 minutes and also get rid of that stupid beard and maybe we might have a striker in him to help us push up the league next season.

That's the spirit mate ..

Tiny bit of positives in there 

Well done, didn't hurt did it ? lol

• Haha 5