Programs would you miss them?

This season for the first time since 1984 I didn't subscribe to season match programmes. Partly because the club changed publishers and obviously did not share the customer list with the new crowd. Took me weeks  to track down the new people and somehow it didn't seem so necessary when I did so. I live in Ireland so considered it a contribution to club. I suppose really price of  ticket to three matches (leaving aside postage even more expensive than prog). Bit peeved when I saw a copy of v Blades and a few others that posters have put on Owlstalk. However that's life  might actually get over more often .:biggrin:

I buy the programme. Probably habit more than anything, but as people have said, they do a good job of finding me of certain games. Also good for away matches.

More interestingly though is why should managers get a say or give two hoots?  They probably don't even write or record their own segment Owners I could understand. Haha.

I wish it was a photocopied six-pager for 50p with humour pieces, player columns, fan views, cheeky cartoons, smart Wednesday-centric takes on wider footballing issues/news, and stuff with a bit of personality - more an old-school fanzine, in other words. I’d buy it every week.

But three quid for an (admittedly glossy) 25-page Rolodex of boring local businesses and ‘offers’ in the club shop? That I can well do without.

They’ve lost their way as a medium; they’re meant to be an ‘insider’ publication to entertain and inform HOME FANS in short bursts, not a greasy Argos catalogue of depressing rammel.

Gimme the job DC, i’ll sort it. :Chansiri::CEO::goalie:

Edited by Mr. Tom

When I was a kid, looking back - the thing I looked too most was the back page and just inside the back page.

It was the stats that held me, not much else.

Back then, the programme was 75p and I remember my dad saying he thought that was a lot.    Blimey how he baulked in 91 when the cup final programme cost him £5

I very rarely get one these days.   Maybe when my kid starts wanting one then I will start getting them again.

1 minute ago, HubristicClapper said:

When I was a kid, looking back - the thing I looked too most was the back page and just inside the back page.

It was the stats that held me, not much else.

Same, used to get it just for the back page team sheet - only way to find out who was playing prior to kickoff (even though they must’ve been printed at least two days before!). For some reason, waiting an extra 10min to see who came down the tunnel was unacceptable.

lol

4 minutes ago, HubristicClapper said:

Back then, the programme was 75p and I remember my dad saying he thought that was a lot.    Blimey how he baulked in 91 when the cup final programme cost him £5

To be fair, a fiver in 1991 does sound like a lot. Then again, I distinctly remember buying dozens of albums from in Our Price c. 1991 that were always £15.99...on CASSETTE.

Fizz me, no wonder I’m still broke 30 years later WTF:

Programmers take up too much room these days and were better back in the 80's .

i store some of mine in A4 printer paper boxes which used to hold 4 or 5 seasons of both home and away editions but these days would only fit one seasons worth.

Carlisle had the right idea a few years ago when we played them in some cup game, the programme was a quid and about 30 pages.

It's a waste of time even debating this one. Matchday programmes are bound to be phased out eventually. It is a question of when rather than if. Clubs might as well have the option of online subscription news feeds to replace programme notes and team news sent directly to people's phones when it is available. I am pretty sure that this is 60% down the line already. The guy with his cloth cap and scarf standing on the street corner selling programmes is just another thing to consign to the nostalgia envelopes.

4 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

It's a waste of time even debating this one. Matchday programmes are bound to be phased out eventually. It is a question of when rather than if. Clubs might as well have the option of online subscription news feeds to replace programme notes and team news sent directly to people's phones when it is available. I am pretty sure that this is 60% down the line already. The guy with his cloth cap and scarf standing on the street corner selling programmes is just another thing to consign to the nostalgia envelopes.

Agreed. All printed media is knackered. If you had said to someone 30 years ago that the green un would shut down  they would not have believed you for a minute. It sold out throughout the city every weekend. 

As for an online news feed subscription I think that would have to be incorporated into a membership package. There's just too much free information available for there to be enough demand for a standalone product. 

I usually buy one. 

Barely read it. 

Got loads in various boxes that are banished into the loft. 

I get why they’d stop tho. Every thing is available on websites & emails

Without using up millions of sheets of paper & ink cartridges

I would be really disappointed but I am biased. I have written for the programme on a voluntary basis for 5 years now.

It started when I was blogging and the club picked up on some free online information I had written for a website and started tweeting it.

I acted all mock offended and tweeted back "That's mine stop tweeting it or give me a job". And they did - albeit completely unpaid.

I enjoy doing it and I enjoy giving something to the club. 

A programme was always part of the matchday experience for me.

Bought them for decades, but gradually, and since the  Wembley play off defeat I lost interest.

Can't really explain why, just seems a bit outdated like newspapers now in the digital age.

So no I wouldn't miss them at all

12 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Once you reach a Certain Age, your ability to read unaided by spectacles falls away. Last time I bought one was the Bristol City season opener in 2015. I could barely decipher some of it. Since then my pennies have remained in my pocket

Perhaps thats another reason then. They used to cost pennies.