Lee Cattermole

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Guest Hillsborough Mole
50 minutes ago, poite said:

Are you suggesting this cos he's a fellow 'mole'?

Partly

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 14:10, Hillsborough Mole said:

I'd not only sign him, I'd make him club captain for us next year. Exactly the kind of combative midfielder we need with Hutch not able to feature regularly. I'd keep Hutch as cover for centre half and centre midfield duties when we need him.

Would imagine he'll be available too.

No

I'm not sure whether Cattermole would be THE answer, but we certainly need someone similar, in terms of leadership.

Loovens was an impeccable captain. In a calm, measured approach. Very popular amongst the players. A fantastic link between them and the manager.

Next season, that void needs to be filled. And I think it's a great opportunity to bring someone in that ticks those boxes, with a edgy side, and a bit of aggression also. Generally, we're a soft side. Very few of our players would intimidate, and look to get about opponents.

Cattermole would certainly tick all of those boxes. I just think we'd benefit more, by bringing in that sort of player in a position where we need to strengthen also. A Sean Morrison type (not suggesting him, he'll be well out of our price bracket now)...Shaun Hutchinson, Marc Roberts, Danny Batth, Kyle Bartley perhaps. Chris Gunter at Reading is a horrible player, but would provide exactly what we require.

As frastheowl stated, a player like Gunter, whilst not getting the fan base whooping in the aisles, is exactly what we need. No nonense, dependable and does his job very, very well.

There are plenty of players out there who could do a very good job for us. Whether we can convince them to join, and more importantly, have the funds to do so is another matter.

8 hours ago, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

Much rather sign Jack Colback, completely on the outs at Newcastle and a very decent player IMO.

Not the personality type of a Cattermole is he though?

Cattermole ticks the boxes required in terms of leadership and personality. 

I don't think we need just another midfielder, like Colback would be. He's a decent player, better than Cattermole, but he probably wouldn't add as much to the squad. 

Ben Watson, who signed for Forest the same time as Colback, would've been another leader who could've ticked the boxes. 

Signing players like Cattermole and Colback will solidify our mid to lower league finish next season. Our only hope is to gamble on cheap foreign imports, or the UK loan market and hope we strike gold. 

Guest Hillsborough Mole

7 pages and not seen a single suggestion of a better team captain for next year

Lets move on this is a non starter. he is old, injury prone, legs gone ill disciplined and only a shadow of player he was. For anybody to suggest that someone is insppirational leader on pitch who has just led a team to two succesive relegations is beyond belief.

1 hour ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

7 pages and not seen a single suggestion of a better team captain for next year

That's not been the question though has it. I am sure everyone could think of a better prospect to be captain to spend the circa 50K a week wages that Cattermole is on.

3 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Not the personality type of a Cattermole is he though?

Cattermole ticks the boxes required in terms of leadership and personality. 

I don't think we need just another midfielder, like Colback would be. He's a decent player, better than Cattermole, but he probably wouldn't add as much to the squad. 

Ben Watson, who signed for Forest the same time as Colback, would've been another leader who could've ticked the boxes. 

Back-to-back relegations. The only thing he has shown leadership in at Sunderland in the last couple of years is the encouragement of the drinking culture and a complete lack of direction on and off the pitch. 

Guest Hillsborough Mole
45 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That's not been the question though has it. I am sure everyone could think of a better prospect to be captain to spend the circa 50K a week wages that Cattermole is on.

And yet you still didn't name one

Lets sign the one whose vanished,sounds abart right for us,maybe Abdi can find him,must be in the same space FFS

Loans next term,can see us loaning in the quality we lack,Fulham have 6 or 7 loanees,lets hope they get the ones we lack.our squads littered with part timers.