A season that could have been.

4 minutes ago, Lichfield alien said:

Next season won't be any better....believe you me..but at least the grunts will be floundering along side us

Completely disagree, with a fit squad that has been trimmed of what's not needed and a couple of additions by a manager who knows how to get a team promoted I'd say there is a lot to look forward to.

7 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Completely disagree, with a fit squad that has been trimmed of what's not needed and a couple of additions by a manager who knows how to get a team promoted I'd say there is a lot to look forward to.

'Trimmed squad'...sounds good..but how is it goin to happen?...we are losing money hand over fist and the biggest earners/liabilitys still have at least 2 more years to milk us :picnic:

All if, buts and maybe's in all honesty. However, what cannot be disputed is our poor start to the season. We did the same in the previous two seasons, but managed to get some momentum and finish well.

It is imperative we start on the front foot come August. Look at Huddersfield last year, blistering start, and because of it, when they hit their mini slump, because of the points they accumulated early doors, they were still able to be comfortably in the top 6 all season. Likewise Wolves.

As many have posted, having a fully fit squad I genuinely think has us challenging. But changes need to be made, and there are interesting times ahead.

11 hours ago, stevewhiterose said:

Very frustrating when you look at the sides potentially going up. Cardiff FFS. 

Tbf Warnock has shown once again that it’s not rocket science to be competitive in this league. Solid players, organisation and motivation go a long way 

6 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

All if, buts and maybe's in all honesty. However, what cannot be disputed is our poor start to the season. We did the same in the previous two seasons, but managed to get some momentum and finish well.

It is imperative we start on the front foot come August. Look at Huddersfield last year, blistering start, and because of it, when they hit their mini slump, because of the points they accumulated early doors, they were still able to be comfortably in the top 6 all season. Likewise Wolves.

As many have posted, having a fully fit squad I genuinely think has us challenging. But changes need to be made, and there are interesting times ahead.

An actual proper pre season for the first time in 3 years should work wonders for this lot

The age of the squad meant it was inevitable we would have injuries and what could go wrong did. The team was short of energy and legs and this has been evident since Hull game. This was not addressed and team got older result problems stacking up.

The refreshing thing is this has been recognised. The recruitment plans were a clear tip towards getting some youth into team. Even if we are unable to revamp squad I expect the team to perform better as we will be better prepared for the season and we have a manager who understands more than one style of football. We will need additions to team though if we are to be realistic promotion contenders.

The squad still lacks a bit of a physical edge, leadership and some pace. You add  this to the technical ability of our current players, then we have a winning formula.

However, the most important thing is to have all the players fit and fully conditioned for the first game of the season. In each of the 3 previous seasons, we haven’t been fit and ready for our first game. Absolutely criminal!

Secondly, we need to release most or all of the out of contract players and get the average age of the squad down. We need to find a buyer for Rhodes and we need to try and offload a few more but this won’t be easy.

Finally, recruit the right players to address our current imbalance. Surely, we will have learnt from our previous recruitment mistakes. 

Sounds easy but there’s a lot of work to do and we need to get it right.

12 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Ha ha - I agree. Met an oinker today for a coffee. He went down to Brum and was fuming at their capitulation.  I said at least you were there when Wilder's dream died. lol

Can honestly say I think they will be in the relegation mix and Wilder gone by October next season.  Wheels have fallen off-PMSL! 

You may be right, the wheels might fall off at the other side of the city. In a way I don't mind them doing well, it gives us an extra motivation to improve and it will be all the sweeter when we beat them.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
19 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

The squad still lacks a bit of a physical edge, leadership and some pace. You add  this to the technical ability of our current players, then we have a winning formula.

However, the most important thing is to have all the players fit and fully conditioned for the first game of the season. In each of the 3 previous seasons, we haven’t been fit and ready for our first game. Absolutely criminal!

Secondly, we need to release most or all of the out of contract players and get the average age of the squad down. We need to find a buyer for Rhodes and we need to try and offload a few more but this won’t be easy.

Finally, recruit the right players to address our current imbalance. Surely, we will have learnt from our previous recruitment mistakes. 

Sounds easy but there’s a lot of work to do and we need to get it right.

Really?

We always start slowly, and at half time at PNE it was clear their players were fitter and hungrier than ours.

A good start is essential. Look at Derby, they've just had 2 wins in 13 but their good start kept them in the playoofs. 

United have a worse record than us over the last 31 games but on Saturday they still had a chance (slim, but a chance) of promotion to the promised land. 

Get the players fit and hungry, win the first three games, and we're looking at a great season.