Jos Luhukay vs Carlos Carvalhal

Guest Hillsborough Mole
Just now, StudentOwl said:

In the last 8 games:

We sit third in the form table... behind only Wolves and Fulham

Only two teams have scored more goals than us... Wolves and Hull

Only four teams have conceded fewer goals than us... Wolves, Fulham, Villa and Brentford

Notice that I've highlighted the teams that we've played in the last 8 games... yes, even playing these teams that are smashing the form table and we still sit third in it.

Seriously... what the hell are you on about you numpty? lol 

When a season is run over 8 games - come back to me. Numpty

1 minute ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

When a season is run over 8 games - come back to me. Numpty

Come back to me when a season is run over 19 games? Goes both ways surely. 

This is the issue with your argument... sure, I respect the idea of judging Jos' entire time with us rather than picking and choosing fixtures. But like... you must see that bearing equal weighting to those early fixtures, where he barely had half a squad to choose from and before he could properly instill his philosophy and ideas on the squad, is at best ridiculously harsh and at worse flawed? Like... there's no way in hell the football or results were going to be instantly turned around.

The best we could hope for was him turning us around from sleepwalking into a relegation dogfight and instead showing promise for next season. Third in the form table in the final 8 fixtures is literally the embodiment of that best-case scenario. 

16 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Carlos Carvalhal Sheffield Wednesday Football Club.jpg

#SWFC made the change to take Carlos Carvalhal out of the equation and replaced him with Jos Luhukay.

This isn't going to go into anything other than to ask the simple question..

Given everything that has happened since Carlos left the club was Mr Chansiri correct to make the change?

As it turned out it was, but changing managers has cost us a top 6 place. With the injury pileup that was likely to happen anyway but timing was everything. Once CC let the pressure get to him and he started criticising the fans he had to go. I just hope fans don’t expect us to challenge next year because a season like this can take a couple of years to get over

37 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Carlos this season

P 23 W 6 D 9 L 8 GD -2 PT 27 PPG 1.17

Jos this season

P 17 W 5 D 5 L 7 GD -4 PT 20 PPG 1.17

Carlos should have been sacked off after the Huddersfield game, absolutely. Has Jos improved us? On recent evidence with players like Lees, Bannan and Forestieri back we certainly look harder to beat but, as evidenced yesterday, we still don't look like we are anything much at all up front. 

On the strength of bringing in Pelupessy for so little, blooding so many youngsters, and overseeing the unlikely rise of Nuhiu I'd say on the strength of this season alone - Jos has it - but only by a very slight margin. The football at times is absolutey dreadful, far worse than anything Carlos ever served up. The tactical decisions a mystery. 

I really don't want Jos to be leading the team next season, as I feel it will be yet another wasted season for the club.

You are conveniently forgetting key information in your warped analysis.

Carlos had a pre season to prepare and in the early part of the season the vast majority of the playing squad available.

Jos walked into a job with no preparation, inherited the squad and has had circa 10 first teamers constantly injured.

And you think it’s a fair comparison?

Jos has turned around an unfit demotivated group and got us winning games. 

The guy deserves the courtesy of a little patience and time in those circumstances. 

I think given the situation he inherited Jos has probably done as well as could be expected.

As for style of football he had a reputation beforehand as preferring a pragmatic style of play and we haven’t seen anything different so far TBH.

It’s hard to say at this stage whether next season will be a good one or not. Personally I think if Forrestieri is available for most of the season then we’ll be nearer the Top 6 as this season has probably shown that he really is the difference between us being nearer the Top than the Bottom.

15 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

I wanted Carlos to take us up - the first season’s football was sexual.

But how do you reside over the mess of a fitness problem he left this season as a professional manager?  

Think Jos has done a really good job to say a big chunk of his time here he had a second string to work with, of which only Pelupessy was his signing. Got a good feeling about him - but I also had a good feeling about Jay Bothroyd so ya know, not the best gauge.

People also forgetting JL got clubs promoted and has achieved something tangible in the game.

CC overachieved in his first season but his CV didn’t suggest he could deliver what was required here. 

Its also not a given he will keep Swansea in the Prem either. 

1 minute ago, RichSheffWeds said:

The away was understandable - the home leg was unforgivable stupidity.

To be honest I thought that at the time. But all it did was to make a fluke own goal more likely to influence the whole outcome. We had a better team, should have played with a higher level of risk reward over both legs. 

I can NEVER forgive him for playing that way against fkn Huddersfield at home. We should have used Hillsborough and ripped into them 1st half.

Cowardly imo.

Jos seems more inclined to press on when going in front. Fair play.

I was desperate for Carlos to do well.

Season two the warning bells were clanging. Though we scraped results and when that happens some are able to turn a blind eye to some extent.

The play off games - showed a huge amount of fear, and that's something you can't afford in this game.

Still the Chairman persisited and so we carried on. Supporting our man, there's little else you can do.

The Rangers pre season game quickly followed by the Preston game showed nothing had changed and that if anything we had stuttered into neutral.

The month when we didn't garner a single shot on target showed a side who had found gear again - reverse.

Even his most ardent fan would surely admit he had to go.

Jos...

He jump on an out of control bus littered with wounded men.

The brakes had failed and we were heading straight for a cliff.

He managed to steer us a bumpy ride but saved us from almost certain doom.

The bus is in the pits. He deserves the chance to drive us on with a new set of alloys and a sports gearbox.

Or something.

• Like 1

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 hour ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Got these stats from Twitter - and just seen they are wrong - as Jos has played 19 (with an extra win and draw)... giving him 1.4 points per game...

Still think his football is dross though

It really was attritional, eye-bleeding dross before he came. He had to turn things round with most of our best players missing. There just had to be a pragmatic approach to steady things. As a couple of better players have returned we started scoring goals.

I can't wait for next season after Jos has had a summer's wheeling and dealing and a full pre-season's preparation. It would then be reasonable to expect to see more entertaining fare albeit with a pragmatic balance between attacking and defensive effectiveness. I'd be amazed if we turn out the mid numbing stuff endured for the first half of this season.

Given resources at his disposal Jos has done a terrific job in a calm understated manner. There's an embryonic strategy in place IMO that incorporates, discipline, teamwork, fitness, professionalism and willingness to give youth a chance. All good stuff.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

14 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Stupid divisive thread on a day when we drew away to the runaway champions.

If you'd had the guts to start this thread at half-time in the Loftus Road game, you'd be getting totally different answers.

Give Jos 2 more years like CC had.   If he gets us in the playoffs for the next two seasons, I'll say he's at least as good as Carlos. 

CC did amazing to get us in the playoffs considering we can't compete with the clubs with parachute payments.  Getting 25,000 crowds and a big stadium mean naff all.

The truth hurts that Jos is a far better manager and is willing to give youth a chance. The stench of bull5hit has finally been removed.

People going on about JLs style of football, seem to have already forgotten the 5urgid displays of the last 18 months. Watched the second half of Swansea’s game yesterday, and the groans of their fans as the b@ll went sideways and backwards was noticeable. Didn’t start attacking until the last ten minutes. TBH it made me glad he’s gone and I’ve always defended him

37 minutes ago, Plonk said:

People going on about JLs style of football, seem to have already forgotten the 5urgid displays of the last 18 months. Watched the second half of Swansea’s game yesterday, and the groans of their fans as the b@ll went sideways and backwards was noticeable. Didn’t start attacking until the last ten minutes. TBH it made me glad he’s gone and I’ve always defended him

Only saw the first half... commentators were saying how all the play was in front of Chelsea, no runners in behind with pace. Couldn't help but giggle... same mistakes being made and they've noticed it only a couple of months into his tenure. Leopards and spots spring to mind. 

If the Swans stay up it will be because of Carlos... they have a heck of a bigger chance than they did in December. He got us to consecutive play-offs. It's clear he knows what he's doing and he's got enough about him to get teams playing. But my god the limitations are there for all to see, and the number of good performances is dwarfed by the number of durge games you get. 

14 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I don’t mind admitting I was a fan of Carlos. After all he did deliver our best two seasons since we came out of the Prem.

This season, a reluctance to change his tactics that had become stale plus the absence of Key Players notably Forrestieri cost him his job here.

As for Jos, he has a good pedigree in the second tier of German Football but as we all know the Championship is a pretty unique league in itself. I think he’s found life here tough but he’s stuck at it when I thought he might walk when we lost 4 or 5 consecutive games in February/March.

Is he the man man to take us forward? I’m not sure but he’ll get the opportunity. That said he’s not going to have the freedom Carvalhal had budget wise which makes Jos’ job tougher but he has shown that he has a bit of nous and steel about him which should stand him in good stead but it will be tough.

Watched them against Man City the other day. Swansea played 2 banks of 4 that were so regimented and static it was like looking at a a table football game. Both banks were ruler straight with equal distance between the players. Unreal really.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
On 29/04/2018 at 09:57, RichSheffWeds said:

You are conveniently forgetting key information in your warped analysis.

Carlos had a pre season to prepare and in the early part of the season the vast majority of the playing squad available.

Jos walked into a job with no preparation, inherited the squad and has had circa 10 first teamers constantly injured.

And you think it’s a fair comparison?

Jos has turned around an unfit demotivated group and got us winning games. 

The guy deserves the courtesy of a little patience and time in those circumstances. 

Theres no room for sentiment, courtesy or otherwise in football.

Take Middlesborough for example. In reasonable form, just beat us away from home, Pulis came available and they sacked Monk after that in order to recruit an experienced, quality manager thats improved them no end. Pulis has taken 40 points (with a +15 GD) and got them in the play offs - in the time its taken us to get 27 points - with a -3 GD

Edited by Hillsborough Mole