Jos Luhukay vs Carlos Carvalhal

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Carlos Carvalhal Sheffield Wednesday Football Club.jpg

#SWFC made the change to take Carlos Carvalhal out of the equation and replaced him with Jos Luhukay.

This isn't going to go into anything other than to ask the simple question..

Given everything that has happened since Carlos left the club was Mr Chansiri correct to make the change?

Yes but he shouldn’t have given Carvalhal a contract last summer after playing a full season of over-cautious negative possession based grim 5h1t. 

3 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Yes but he shouldn’t have given Carvalhal a contract last summer after playing a full season of over-cautious negative possession based grim 5h1t. 

would you take 4th next season no matter how we play ?.....or would you prefer to be entertained and finish 8th ?............Cardiff get results , Fulham entertain ....who would rather support right now ....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

One thing Jos has to figure out is why we struggle in mid week games. This problem has existed for too long under too many managers. The stats prove it. 

verrry interesting

unnamed.jpg.14188a39e3ace8b5ea2b0c5f07a2c869.jpg

Edited by Treborowl

Yes it was the correct decision. Carlos' message had stopped getting through and for a team that claimed to be chasing the top two were out of the play off race by mid December. If he'd have stayed the atmosphere would have been toxic, the end of that Middlesbrough game was nasty. The change was needed. I'll never be one of these that slates him, those two seasons were a pleasure to be a part of as a supporter. Maybe it's different if you saw the early 90's or similar 'glory years', some of had to grow up on Jon Beswetherick and Ashley Westwood.

In hindsight perhaps he should have gone in the summer of 2017 but what I will say and did say at the time when people said he should was that you set a dangerous precedent when you sack a manager after finishing in your highest position since relegation from the Premier League. If anything it would have put even more pressure on the next manager without the advantage of knowing the squad.

• Like 3

#SWFC made the change to take Carlos Carvalhal out of the equation and replaced him with Jos Luhukay.

Given everything that has happened since Carlos left the club was Mr Chansiri correct to make the change?

As everything its all about results, so compare with CC when he has/if been 2 yrs..

For me, it’s made little difference, we are still in around the same position, and for the most part, are dull to watch

Chansiri needs to get a grip, both coaches have veered away from his stated aim of wanting to entertain

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

We tried to stand by our man.

There was hope at the time that he'd change his approach and turn it around

Sadly he didn't

Even blind faith couldn't go on forever and the time for change came and so we moved from total blind support for Carlos to booing him

lol

It was a case of: 'We love you Carlos, we - booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!'

And I can pinpoint the exact moment when I realised I was backing the wrong horse, too:

7 hours ago, Rebowl Yell said:

Can’t believe you negged me @daleblue

I was just venting my spleen about my love for the great man and you shamed me in front of the entire forum? Why DB? Why did you embarrass me like that? Do you not like me? :sad:

Sorry it was not intended, just couldn't resist. 

11 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Stupid divisive thread on a day when we drew away to the runaway champions.

If you'd had the guts to start this thread at half-time in the Loftus Road game, you'd be getting totally different answers.

Give Jos 2 more years like CC had.   If he gets us in the playoffs for the next two seasons, I'll say he's at least as good as Carlos. 

CC did amazing to get us in the playoffs considering we can't compete with the clubs with parachute payments.  Getting 25,000 crowds and a big stadium mean naff all.

Cardiff are doing OK without parachute payments,  so it can be done. 

As for Loftus road it was mentioned and I think that at the time some of us mentioned Millwall as well. 

But I agree  that the Carlos bashing has to stop. 

Edited by daleblue

11 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Stupid divisive thread on a day when we drew away to the runaway champions.

If you'd had the guts to start this thread at half-time in the Loftus Road game, you'd be getting totally different answers.

Give Jos 2 more years like CC had.   If he gets us in the playoffs for the next two seasons, I'll say he's at least as good as Carlos. 

CC did amazing to get us in the playoffs considering we can't compete with the clubs with parachute payments.  Getting 25,000 crowds and a big stadium mean naff all.

He spent 30 million quid , often on dross like David jones and abdi . He bottled two play off challenges and he turned the first team into flabby extras from casualty . The bloke hides behind stupid comedy , he’s clueless . 

Jos just gets on with the job , he’s got the best out of what he has been left with . No rubbish , no bs. The players are fitter and look more interested . 

We will seriously struggle to get in the play offs lay offs next year with our ageing , crocked squad , not to mention the fact we are screwed financially due to millions wasted by the previous regime . If jos gets us anywhere near next year , he really will have done a fantastic job 

id have had carlos out after the hull game ,the tactics at Wembley were shoddy , but he was kept on ,he made bad signing after bad signing (remember he had no input on all pre jan 2016 signings so bannan,hooper,wallace,forestieri,hunt were not his signings) then last season despite us finishing 4th there were times that season that carlos received a lot of stick by fans at the games and on here ,it was only that winning run in april 2017 what stopped supporters from shouting carlos out even then ,as I remember going to Rotherham after a poor performance at Barnsley that many tickets were returned by disgruntled supporters,the football played last season was dire apart from 3-4 games ,and the playoffs were a massive letdown considering how poor the teams were in the playoffs last season compared to this season now u have villa,fulham,middlesborough,derby. that carlos has left club in a mess through been stuck with these ageing crocks, and such poor pre season training (I said it then too regarding how poor our pre season is regards coming back so late early july( jos is having them back over a week early on june 25th) and only having a couple of games in England after holiday camp in Portugal playing a couple of nothing teams in 90f heat basically walking football despite we had a very large squad were all players needed match fitness .  to me carlos is like a dodgy salesman who sweet talks himself into 15 jobs and never lasts very long in a job ,he has the gift of the gab no doubt. 

8 minutes ago, james o connor said:

He spent 30 million quid , often on dross like David jones and abdi . He bottled two play off challenges and he turned the first team into flabby extras from casualty . The bloke hides behind stupid comedy , he’s clueless . 

Jos just gets on with the job , he’s got the best out of what he has been left with . No rubbish , no bs. The players are fitter and look more interested . 

We will seriously struggle to get in the play offs lay offs next year with our ageing , crocked squad , not to mention the fact we are screwed financially due to millions wasted by the previous regime . If jos gets us anywhere near next year , he really will have done a fantastic job 

totally spot on cant agree more. 

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Carlos this season

P 23 W 6 D 9 L 8 GD -2 PT 27 PPG 1.17

Jos this season

P 17 W 5 D 5 L 7 GD -4 PT 20 PPG 1.17

Carlos should have been sacked off after the Huddersfield game, absolutely. Has Jos improved us? On recent evidence with players like Lees, Bannan and Forestieri back we certainly look harder to beat but, as evidenced yesterday, we still don't look like we are anything much at all up front. 

On the strength of bringing in Pelupessy for so little, blooding so many youngsters, and overseeing the unlikely rise of Nuhiu I'd say on the strength of this season alone - Jos has it - but only by a very slight margin. The football at times is absolutey dreadful, far worse than anything Carlos ever served up. The tactical decisions a mystery. 

I really don't want Jos to be leading the team next season, as I feel it will be yet another wasted season for the club.

16 minutes ago, james o connor said:

And don’t forget Rhodes, that has to be the biggest waste of money ever

Or maybe he didn’t sign Rhodes, or any of  the misfits we have now

8 hours ago, shandypants said:

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

would you take 4th next season no matter how we play ?.....or would you prefer to be entertained and finish 8th ?............Cardiff get results , Fulham entertain ....who would rather support right now ....

That’s the dilemma isn’t it? 

If you required an answer then I’d say I just want to see the team having a right good go. Even though we finished 4th last season, I can honestly say it was the worst, most frustrating football of my near 45 years of watching Wednesday; I didn’t enjoy it one bit. I can cope with watching bad football when it’s sugared with determination and a positive purpose (for example, the football played in Paul Sturrock’s promotion season was hideous but it was coupled with steel and determination and it made sense).  Carlos’s tactics last season and the first half of this consisted of little more than possession along the back four with the midfield and forwards working their socks off to find space; and more often than not, the ball ended up going back to front In an almighty hoof when that space couldn’t be found. We only ever played football with purpose when we were losing. 

Jos plays a more effective type of football. We get the ball forward quickly and try to “turn” the other team while also focusesong on a defensive strength; it isn’t pretty but it’s effective and better to watch than the tripe Carlos was dishing out. I think that’s the type of football I can live with to get us into the top six. 

Guest Hillsborough Mole
14 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Carlos this season

P 23 W 6 D 9 L 8 GD -2 PT 27 PPG 1.17

Jos this season

P 17 W 5 D 5 L 7 GD -4 PT 20 PPG 1.17

Got these stats from Twitter - and just seen they are wrong - as Jos has played 19 (with an extra win and draw)... giving him 1.4 points per game...

Still think his football is dross though

6 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Got these stats from Twitter - and just seen they are wrong - as Jos has played 19 (with an extra win and draw)... giving him 1.4 points per game...

Still think his football is dross though

In the last 8 games:

We sit third in the form table... behind only Wolves and Fulham

Only two teams have scored more goals than us... Wolves and Hull

Only four teams have conceded fewer goals than us... Wolves, Fulham, Villa and Brentford

Notice that I've highlighted the teams that we've played in the last 8 games... yes, even playing the teams that are smashing the form table with us, and we still sit third in it.

Seriously... what the hell are you on about you numpty? lol 

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Haha 1