Jos Luhukay vs Carlos Carvalhal

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

You sound like a jilted lover. He was one of the best managers we’ve had, but he is an impact manager and he ran out of steam around the same time he ran his core 11 into the ground. Westwood; Loovens, Bannan, Hutchinson,Lee, Lees and Forestieri all played through injury for periods in the last two seasons and it caught up eventually.

His methods did nearly get us up to be fair to him, but this season was a step too far. Lo and behold he is having a short term impact at Swansea as he has throughout his career.

What? That’s not true at all I have no idea why anyone would think that.

• Haha 2

Chansiri was right to make the change and in my opinion it was too late.

Carlos gets too much stick on here, I don’t think he was a bad manager, footballing wise. That first season was brilliant - some of the best football I’ve seen at Hillsborough for many a year. There were certain things that did your head in, slow start to games and poor first halves and his reluctance to change from 4-4-2. But overall, he did get results.

However, I am personally making him accountable for our failing fitness and conditioning regime of the players. It was absolutely evident that the players weren’t fit enough and he also brought players back too early. I am not blaming him for the player recruitment - I honestly don’t believe for one minute he wanted Jordan Rhodes! That’s just one example. 

We will have to see what Jos does next season. Personally, I am still not sure but he has my 100% support. He has come in and he has to deal with an unprecedented injury crisis and also deal with the negativity around the club. He hasn’t really once moaned.  He has just got on with it. He has made some bizarre team selections but I suppose we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes.

He has a few things he has to get right over the summer;

* Release most or all of the out of contract players 

* Get all the players fully fit and conditioned for the start of the season.

* Select a default formation and stick with it for the majority of next season.

* Ensure he gets his recruitment right outlining our weaknesses and addressing those areas which will fit in with our formation next season.

I think he has big job on personally. There could be a big movement both ways. One thing I will say is that deserves our 100% support.

I don’t really see how you can compare the two tho personally. One diddnt give a s&@t about his players health & fitness and the other seems to be putting it above anything else. Not one single player thrived under Carlos. And look at what jos has done with players that Carlos himself said he could not motivate. So for me I think it’s a insult to Jos..!! To compare him to coco. 

Stupid divisive thread on a day when we drew away to the runaway champions.

If you'd had the guts to start this thread at half-time in the Loftus Road game, you'd be getting totally different answers.

Give Jos 2 more years like CC had.   If he gets us in the playoffs for the next two seasons, I'll say he's at least as good as Carlos. 

CC did amazing to get us in the playoffs considering we can't compete with the clubs with parachute payments.  Getting 25,000 crowds and a big stadium mean naff all.

59 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Remember when Owlstalk was 'backing Carlos Carvalhal as Sheffield Wednesday manager unreservedly until the end of the season'?

We had so much hope and optimism back then. Sigh...

:duntmatter:

At least I don't have to get his name tattooed on my forehead

lol

Swansea fans seem to be losing patience in Carlos too. Fans on twitter calling him tactically inept, negative and deluded. Oh haven't we heard that before...

• Haha 5

Yes.

Carlos only had a two year plan so it's no surprise things went south this season... having said all that if we didn't suffer long term injuries to all our key players, Westwood, Hooper, Forestieri, Bannan, Lee, Lees, Fletcher and Hutchinson I'm positive we would have still made top 6 . ( Irrespective of weather you blame CC for the injuries or not, you cannot deny how incredibly unlucky we have been ). Still cannot believe how bitter and resentful some fans are towards him, the man clearly was only planning on being here for two seasons.(Poor and inexperienced decision making at executive level let him back in the door for a third) Of that he made two Championship playoffs in that time, those first two seasons were fantastic the best in DECADES and it's no surprise he's now in the PL. If he keeps Swansea up too(which looks likely) that is a massive accomplishment and he deserves all the credit for it.

However the biggest disappointment IMO was the Huddersfield second leg in the playoffs, it STILL grinds my gears on how negatively CC set us up. Most crucial game of the season and he opts for a midfield 3 of Lee,Bannan and Hutchinson where once again we surrender an attacking outlet on the flank for more 'stability' in the middle, a tactic that he was terrified of ditching despite it clearly making us a worse team. (If you don't remember Lee was a passer by all game because he was the one stuck playing RM). 

But alas, this season was a write off. We'll rebuild in the summer, ship out some deadwood and under Jos we still have a good squad with key players, 3/4 more astute signings and no reason at all why we can't challenge for automatic promotion next season. 

My last post for a while as a I try and avoid Owlstalk in the summer as it gets full of more bs, over reactions and toxic comments than after a match day L.

UTO.

Edited by Lionel Fessi

32 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

However the biggest disappointment IMO was the Huddersfield second leg in the playoffs, it STILL grinds my gears on how negatively CC set us up. Most crucial game of the season and he opts for a midfield 3 of Lee,Bannan and Hutchinson where once again we surrender an attacking outlet on the flank for more 'stability' in the middle, a tactic that he was terrified of ditching despite it clearly making us a worse team. (If you don't remember Lee was a passer by all game because he was the one stuck playing RM). 

Agree with that

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Lincs Owl said:

Stupid divisive thread on a day when we drew away to the runaway champions.

No it isn't

It's a mature debate that everyone seems to be contributing to from both sides in a mature way

As it should be

You're the one over-reacting when in fact there's nothing to whinge about

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Remember when Owlstalk was 'backing Carlos Carvalhal as Sheffield Wednesday manager unreservedly until the end of the season'?

We had so much hope and optimism back then. Sigh...

:duntmatter:

We tried to stand by our man.

There was hope at the time that he'd change his approach and turn it around

Sadly he didn't

Even blind faith couldn't go on forever and the time for change came and so we moved from total blind support for Carlos to booing him

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Chansiri was right to make the change and in my opinion it was too late.

Carlos gets too much stick on here, I don’t think he was a bad manager, footballing wise. That first season was brilliant - some of the best football I’ve seen at Hillsborough for many a year. There were certain things that did your head in, slow start to games and poor first halves and his reluctance to change from 4-4-2. But overall, he did get results.

However, I am personally making him accountable for our failing fitness and conditioning regime of the players. It was absolutely evident that the players weren’t fit enough and he also brought players back too early. I am not blaming him for the player recruitment - I honestly don’t believe for one minute he wanted Jordan Rhodes! That’s just one example. 

We will have to see what Jos does next season. Personally, I am still not sure but he has my 100% support. He has come in and he has to deal with an unprecedented injury crisis and also deal with the negativity around the club. He hasn’t really once moaned.  He has just got on with it. He has made some bizarre team selections but I suppose we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes.

He has a few things he has to get right over the summer;

* Release most or all of the out of contract players 

* Get all the players fully fit and conditioned for the start of the season.

* Select a default formation and stick with it for the majority of next season.

* Ensure he gets his recruitment right outlining our weaknesses and addressing those areas which will fit in with our formation next season.

I think he has big job on personally. There could be a big movement both ways. One thing I will say is that deserves our 100% support.

:tango:

I don’t mind admitting I was a fan of Carlos. After all he did deliver our best two seasons since we came out of the Prem.

This season, a reluctance to change his tactics that had become stale plus the absence of Key Players notably Forrestieri cost him his job here.

As for Jos, he has a good pedigree in the second tier of German Football but as we all know the Championship is a pretty unique league in itself. I think he’s found life here tough but he’s stuck at it when I thought he might walk when we lost 4 or 5 consecutive games in February/March.

Is he the man man to take us forward? I’m not sure but he’ll get the opportunity. That said he’s not going to have the freedom Carvalhal had budget wise which makes Jos’ job tougher but he has shown that he has a bit of nous and steel about him which should stand him in good stead but it will be tough.

It doesn’t appear that Chansiri made ‘the change’ to me.

Carvalhal had the Swansea job lined-up and was happy to go ahead with the separation.

Also, it’s a bit daft directly comparing one manager with another at this stage.  The injury list that JL has had to cope with, because of the previous regime’s negligence, speaks for itself.