I've changed my mind about Fernando Forestieri

#SWFC writer Chris Holt explains how and why he's changed his mind about Forestieri this season

Way back at the start of the season I advocated selling him. The performances in the past few weeks have forced me into a complete turnaround.

Fernando Forestieri has been nothing short of superb since returning to the side following a knee operation in early September and that comeback has helped lift the gloom from what has been a hugely disappointing season...

Read Chris Holt's article here - https://t.co/QW7I0iRlqG

Owlstalk Shop

My worry is someone like Swansea, Huddersfield, Wolves or Villa/Fulham/Cardiff (whoever goes up) will provide us with an offer we simply cannot refuse, around £14m.

This along with Bannan for £8m, yes will provide us with enough funds to revamp the squad but it will leave us squandering around desperately for adequate replacements at a fraction of the cost.

My other worry is if adequate replacements can't be found will DC put his faith in JL to get Abdi, Hutchinson, Hooper, Fletcher and Lee fit and KEEP them fit.

Again this is my worry not itk.

Or would you take over £20m for 2 players not replace them but strengthen in other areas and take the risk on our injured players?

2 minutes ago, savi said:

My worry is someone like Swansea, Huddersfield, Wolves or Villa/Fulham/Cardiff (whoever goes up) will provide us with an offer we simply cannot refuse, around £14m.

This along with Bannan for £8m, yes will provide us with enough funds to revamp the squad but it will leave us squandering around desperately for adequate replacements at a fraction of the cost.

My other worry is if adequate replacements can't be found will DC put his faith in JL to get Abdi, Hutchinson, Hooper, Fletcher and Lee fit and KEEP them fit.

Again this is my worry not itk.

Or would you take over £20m for 2 players not replace them but strengthen in other areas and take the risk on our injured players?

There's no doubt Forestieri has been great since his return. I'd like to keep him if we can afford to, on the other hand if we receive an offer that is too good to refuse we will have to sell and move on. No player is irreplaceable. Other clubs have been promoted from this league without him and will continue to do so.

I'm not advocating selling him as in trying to find a buyer but if someone makes a stupid offer we should look at it. If CC was in charge I probably wouldn't take the same attitude because he would most likely squander the money on second rate players and we would overall be worse off. With Jos in charge I think there is a better chance that he would use the funds wisely and strengthen where we are weak with quality young players. That could make a world of difference.

I think Jos fancies the prospects of having FF in his squad so I doubt he would want to get rid.

We live in a time where Gary Madine is sold for 6 million

Anything less than 12 for Bannan, and 20 for Forestieri is laughable

Trust in Katrien Meire

She once sold Wiggins and Fox for close to a million each

• Haha 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

We live in a time where Gary Madine is sold for 6 million

Anything less than 12 for Bannan, and 20 for Forestieri is laughable

Trust in Katrien Meire

She once sold Wiggins and Fox for close to a million each

I wonder what mugs brought them two.

lol

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

going to be interesting in how jos fits him into team and what system he plays  if we ever get everyone fit ...

Agreed.

He isn’t a wing-back. He isn’t a striker. 

He has looked unplayable in a front 3, as he is wide left in a 442.

The 352/532 doesn’t seem to suit Fernando at first sight. Will watch with keen interest how he gets the best for Fernando and the team in August.

Just now, Holmowl said:

Agreed.

He isn’t a wing-back. He isn’t a striker. 

He has looked unplayable in a front 3, as he is wide left in a 442.

The 352/532 doesn’t seem to suit Fernando at first sight. Will watch with keen interest how he gets the best for Fernando and the team in August.

like you I think he's better on the left but I cant see how he can play there if we stick with 5-3-2 .......he's obviously to good to leave out so a tinkering with the system may be in order .i'd like to see him given a free reign between the front two and midfield but then where does bannan fit in ....jos will have to get the thinking cap out .

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

It's a win win whatever happens. 

If someone comes in we don't sell for less than the going rate and we can buy a top player or players to replace 

If he stays he is a match winner.

Personally I hope he stays. 

Exactly, In the short term the club benefits either way. Only issue is if we spunk the money on a player and they flop 

He is the latest player to play consistently to a level they had not done previously. Getting someone with his level of ability to play at Championship level is nigh on impossible so replacinghim not an option.

• Thanks 1