Jump to content

Recommended Posts

If I were Joe or Cameron and Westwood was to leave (hope he doesn't btw) I would be expecting to fight it out with the other for first choice keeper.

 

If however, Westwood was replaced as first choice by an average keeper like WF, I would think to myself what's the point of staying here, and would be looking to move elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

I’m sure we are going to get linked with every player under the sun this summer. I’m sure the reason Dawson is playing the last 3 games is to make sure he’s happy he’s got 2 goalkeepers in JW and CD who are up to championship standard I assume that means Westwood will be leaving. 

This ito my mind is spot on. I would think extremely unlikely we would be interested. think oys HITC rumour which is usually tripe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I was brought up on the worlds top keeper for a period, better than Yashin better than Banks for a long period. His name Ron Springett.

 

Like to think I know a bit about keepers and keeping. So drawing on my experience as a fan, assuming Westwood moves on (Which I hope he doesn't) I put Cameron Dawson as our most promising keeper of the two purely on the basis that he has a far better understanding of the command of his penalty area.

 

Hi there...also abit of a goalkeeping expert. Nice to meet you.

 

I would say, ideally, you'd combine Wildsmith and Dawson.

 

Wildsmith is great at 1-1 situations, and he's agile with his reaction saves. Kicking is abit hit and miss.

It's his long range shot stopping that's the problem, not so much his reactions, but when he has time to think about it.

His technique is off, which causes him to fumble the ball and cop for the odd mistake (as we've seen at times this season)

 

Dawson on the other hand, as you say, commands the area more, I wouldn't say he makes as many saves where you think...'wow, how did he save that?'

But more of, he saves what you'd expect him to. His handling is OK, however I've seen him drop a few crosses. I've also had the impression that he's a little more clumsy and not as good with his feet.

 

Both good keepers.

but IMO, I'd still say Wildsmith is the more promising, as the stuff he's really good at, is stuff that you can't teach. It's a natural ability.

The stuff he needs to improve on, ie: handling from long range shots...this is a technique issue and can be improved on. (See De Gea's first season at MUFC - Although, obviously not a direct comparison)

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is rubbish, really not the kind of keeper we need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gypsyowl said:

Leaving Rangers as they're re-signing McGregor, he's linked with us, we've had scouts watching him since before he got injured I was told yesterday

 

Should Westwood leave would you want us to sign another GK like Foderingham or go with Wildsmith/Dawson next season?


Must admit was surprised to hear this as WF not going to come here to sit on the bench, JW & CD showed they're more than capable of playing at this level but do they just lack a bit of experience? 

 

If you could choose, would you keep Westwood & not sign another GK? Or is selling him for good money, getting him off the wage bill to replace with a cheaper option good for us with FFP been as tight as it is?

 

With regards to Wes Foderingham's ability, IMO he's a brilliant shot stopper, has made a few errors, his distribution is decent, but can be glued to his line a bit & not amazing on crosses from what I've seen, I think I'd rather stick with Wildsmith & try to improve on his weaknesses 

 

He's not Scottish then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be a stupid signing. Not measurably better than either Wildsmith or Dawson and significantly weaker than Westwood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard two guys talking about this at the QPR game. 

I was actually thinking (when we were 3-0 down straight away) that WF would be a better option 

but with hindsight, I’d stick with JW if KW does leave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't seen enough off WF to have an opinion on him,

 

but out of our two youngsters i prefer Dawson, before the boro cup game last year i thought Wildsmith was gonna be awesome but that game and ever since i feel he hasnt pushed on, played well but always a mistake in him.

 

where as Dawson seems alot more commanding, has a better all round game and is also capable of worldies like that reaction save at home to Swansea.  

 

next season id go:

 

Westwood

Dawson

Wildsmith (loaned out)     I think with games and experience he can cut out them mistakes and reach his promise, but i dont want him ironing out his game in our first team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I was brought up on the worlds top keeper for a period, better than Yashin better than Banks for a long period. His name Ron Springett.

 

Like to think I know a bit about keepers and keeping. So drawing on my experience as a fan, assuming Westwood moves on (Which I hope he doesn't) I put Cameron Dawson as our most promising keeper of the two purely on the basis that he has a far better understanding of the command of his penalty area.

you know nowt about keepers if you think ron was better than yashin & banks ...... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, torryowl said:

you know nowt about keepers if you think ron was better than yashin & banks ...... 

better than Banks for a long period is what I said. It must have been 1965 before Banks edged him, deservedly so but Ron was losing a little of his edge then.

 

Lev Yashin who toured UK with Moscow Dynamo was bigged up not because he was great but because he was eccentric, often found racing out of his area and leaping around; don't get me wrong he was up there but never in Springetts class for narrowing angles, catching crosses, holding onto stopped shots.

 

Probably a little unfair because Yashin was 36 when he played in the 66 World Cup here and Springett was on the Bench. But at 36 Yashins performances were nothing special. The previous year Dynamo played at Highbury with Yashin the big name attraction, for me he was a good keeper but rarely matched his billing, Springett never really had a big billing but excelled in almost every game I saw him.    

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

better than Banks for a long period is what I said. It must have been 1965 before Banks edged him, deservedly so but Ron was losing a little of his edge then.

 

Lev Yashin who toured UK with Moscow Dynamo was bigged up not because he was great but because he was eccentric, often found racing out of his area and leaping around; don't get me wrong he was up there but never in Springetts class for narrowing angles, catching crosses, holding onto stopped shots.

 

Probably a little unfair because Yashin was 36 when he played in the 66 World Cup here and Springett was on the Bench. But at 36 Yashins performances were nothing special. The previous year Dynamo played at Highbury with Yashin the big name attraction, for me he was a good keeper but rarely matched his billing, Springett never really had a big billing but excelled in almost every game I saw him.    

 

 

ron was a very good international keeper but if you did a world wide survey of the top 10 keepers ever yashin for sure and probably banks would be in it .....ron wouldn't get a mention ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I was brought up on the worlds top keeper for a period, better than Yashin better than Banks for a long period. His name Ron Springett.

 

Like to think I know a bit about keepers and keeping. So drawing on my experience as a fan, assuming Westwood moves on (Which I hope he doesn't) I put Cameron Dawson as our most promising keeper of the two purely on the basis that he has a far better understanding of the command of his penalty area.

 

I was fortunate enough to see Ron Springett myself, my dad was a professional keeper & I played there myself though unfortunately only to Sunday league standards. I agree totally with your comments on Dawson. Wildsmith is a great reflex shot stopper & he's very brave at one on ones but has about as much command of his area as Chris Woods did. Dawson looks far more assured to me.

Edited by mogbad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mogbad said:

 

I was fortunate enough to see Ron Springett myself, my dad was a professional keeper & I played there myself though unfortunately only to Sunday league standards. I agree totally with your comments on Dawson. Wildsmith is a great reflex shot stopper & he's very brave at one on ones but has about as much command of his area as Chris Woods did. Dawson looks far more assured to me.

Keeping injury crisis 71/72 season Peter Grummit and Springett both injured, Junior keepers not trusted so Wednesday turned to Woodseats WMC Sunday Regional keeper Trevor Pearson. He played four games and didn't let anyone down given his lack of experience. I went down for his debut at Fulham especially, he was beaten by a Mullery 25 yarder after a couple of minutes and we lost 4-0 but we were at a low ebb at the time. So Who did you play for Mogbad and when.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Keeping injury crisis 71/72 season Peter Grummit and Springett both injured, Junior keepers not trusted so Wednesday turned to Woodseats WMC Sunday Regional keeper Trevor Pearson. He played four games and didn't let anyone down given his lack of experience. I went down for his debut at Fulham especially, he was beaten by a Mullery 25 yarder after a couple of minutes and we lost 4-0 but we were at a low ebb at the time. So Who did you play for Mogbad and when.   

 

Sheffield Transport in the South Yorkshire Amateur League on Saturdays from about 1970-80 & Whirlow Villa in the Sunday Imperial League from about 1977-89. Not always in goal for both teams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mogbad said:

 

Sheffield Transport in the South Yorkshire Amateur League on Saturdays from about 1970-80 & Whirlow Villa in the Sunday Imperial League from about 1977-89. Not always in goal for both teams.

I ran Walkley Cottage in Suday Regional league for a few years from 1970

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Wildsmith and Dawson are both fine and capable keepers who should improve even moreso in time. I still think we need an older keeper to come in on a free and push those two for the starting goalkeeper position though. 

 

Its tough though, I was saying to a friend that it is a very important position, but there are more pressing issues in the Wing Back positions and a better defence and midfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope it’s a nothing story Not because I don’t rate Foderingham, I’ve seen him have, both good, and bad games 

No it would pee me off because, once again, we’d be duplicating in areas where we are already strong, and not concentrating on the areas where we are short If money is tight, we have to focus on dealing with our long term shortcomings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

I work with a Rangers fan and even he says they need a new Goalkeeper .

The 36 year old Allan McGregor will be an improvement from Wes at Rangers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steveger said:

The 36 year old Allan McGregor will be an improvement from Wes at Rangers

I have watched Rangers on sky only because mate say he is poor , I saw him at work after and told him ,I agreed with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...