Wes Foderingham

Leaving Rangers as they're re-signing McGregor, he's linked with us, we've had scouts watching him since before he got injured I was told yesterday

Should Westwood leave would you want us to sign another GK like Foderingham or go with Wildsmith/Dawson next season?

Must admit was surprised to hear this as WF not going to come here to sit on the bench, JW & CD showed they're more than capable of playing at this level but do they just lack a bit of experience? 

If you could choose, would you keep Westwood & not sign another GK? Or is selling him for good money, getting him off the wage bill to replace with a cheaper option good for us with FFP been as tight as it is?

With regards to Wes Foderingham's ability, IMO he's a brilliant shot stopper, has made a few errors, his distribution is decent, but can be glued to his line a bit & not amazing on crosses from what I've seen, I think I'd rather stick with Wildsmith & try to improve on his weaknesses 

Suppose there is a need for 3 GK's in case of injury, it is such a crucial position. maybe one of Dawson or Wildsmith will go on loan with a recall clause to continue their development and the remaining GK fights it out with the 3rd GK (Foderingham for example), supposing this means Westwood is leaving, which is far from confirmed, but suspected given the interest in other GK's?

I’m sure we are going to get linked with every player under the sun this summer. I’m sure the reason Dawson is playing the last 3 games is to make sure he’s happy he’s got 2 goalkeepers in JW and CD who are up to championship standard I assume that means Westwood will be leaving. 

I would go Wildsmith to start, Youngster on the bench from U23s just incase, Dawson on loan with release clause if Wildsmith gets injured. I think someone will snap up Westwood in the summer. So no Foderingham.

Edited by tarn owl

I think the young lads are more than good enough. Personally think Dawson could be the real deal if he gets a run in the side and a good preseason.

If we are to lose Westwood then a swap deal may be an option I suppose to ensure solid cover in a vital position but I wouldn't have any worries going with any of our 3 current keepers for next season

Guest addedtime
49 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

Weatwood is in a different league to Foderingham so would be a big step backwards to let KW leave.

Correct, he's in the SPL.

He is league 1 standard at best most of his playing career at Swindon in league 1 and 2 and last few years playing at the very high level of Scottish football. Against the footballer European super power of Partick Thistle, Ross County and Hamilton - it's a no from Me. :picnic:

2 hours ago, gypsyowl said:

Leaving Rangers as they're re-signing McGregor, he's linked with us, we've had scouts watching him since before he got injured I was told yesterday

Should Westwood leave would you want us to sign another GK like Foderingham or go with Wildsmith/Dawson next season?

Must admit was surprised to hear this as WF not going to come here to sit on the bench, JW & CD showed they're more than capable of playing at this level but do they just lack a bit of experience? 

If you could choose, would you keep Westwood & not sign another GK? Or is selling him for good money, getting him off the wage bill to replace with a cheaper option good for us with FFP been as tight as it is?

With regards to Wes Foderingham's ability, IMO he's a brilliant shot stopper, has made a few errors, his distribution is decent, but can be glued to his line a bit & not amazing on crosses from what I've seen, I think I'd rather stick with Wildsmith & try to improve on his weaknesses 

Why waste money on a GK when we have 2 good young GK's?.

• Thanks 1

A pretty good keeper in all fairness.

And it's one of those that you really can't judge unless you've seen him play every game. No one realised how good Westwood was until we saw him every week.

On the topic of Rangers, I'd take Tavinier back from them, speed right back who can really whip a ball in. Lets bid for Windass aswell while we're there.

I was brought up on the worlds top keeper for a period, better than Yashin better than Banks for a long period. His name Ron Springett.

Like to think I know a bit about keepers and keeping. So drawing on my experience as a fan, assuming Westwood moves on (Which I hope he doesn't) I put Cameron Dawson as our most promising keeper of the two purely on the basis that he has a far better understanding of the command of his penalty area.

• Like 2

If I were Joe or Cameron and Westwood was to leave (hope he doesn't btw) I would be expecting to fight it out with the other for first choice keeper.

If however, Westwood was replaced as first choice by an average keeper like WF, I would think to myself what's the point of staying here, and would be looking to move elsewhere.