Louis Shackshaft makes the case for Keiren Westwood

13 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Sky call centre adviser or he was last time I checked.

He has worked for sky but never in a call centre. 

5 hours ago, Morepork said:

Regardless of how highly you rate Westwood and many of us do, I think his potential sale is the most likely piece of transfer business on our radar at the moment.

Taking in to account our finances, his age, the fact that he is a desirable asset with good value and that we have 3 very good keepers on the books this one looks highly likely to me. 

His age means nothing, he’s not even reached the peak years for a keeper, but from my reconing

5 hours ago, Morepork said:

Regardless of how highly you rate Westwood and many of us do, I think his potential sale is the most likely piece of transfer business on our radar at the moment.

Taking in to account our finances, his age, the fact that he is a desirable asset with good value and that we have 3 very good keepers on the books this one looks highly likely to me. 

Don’t most goalkeepers peak mid 30’s? 

Which on my reckoning we have at least another 5 years, in that time he could still be improving form 

17 minutes ago, Rentaghost said:

Which on my reckoning we have at least another 5 years, in that time he could still be improving form 

Traditionally that's prime time for a keeper, however, I'm not saying he should be sold because of his age. I'm saying there are several factors combining that make his sale much more likely IMO.

I reckon Westwood is away and there will (rightly) be a number of high profile departures in preseason.

Reports in Scotland are linking Wednesday with Foderingham from Rangers. I’m not convinced he’s a great keeper to be honest but that’s the rumour up here. Rangers are signing Allan MacGregor from Hull as a replacement for Foderingham, and Hull are supposedly signing Jon McLaughlin from Hearts. 

16 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

I reckon Westwood is away and there will (rightly) be a number of high profile departures in preseason.

Reports in Scotland are linking Wednesday with Foderingham from Rangers. I’m not convinced he’s a great keeper to be honest but that’s the rumour up here. Rangers are signing Allan MacGregor from Hull as a replacement for Foderingham, and Hull are supposedly signing Jon McLaughlin from Hearts. 

Foderingham would be a massive step backwards, we have 2 young keepers at S6 who are just as good if not better than Wes IMO

When Westwood initially signed for us he chose to come here so he could play and be the number one keeper. So I doubt he will move to a Premier Leagie team unless they can guarantee him this. If he does move it’ll be to a rival in the division.

Edited by StirlingOwl

Guest wilyfox

Personally, I have faith in our young keepers. They've made real progress this season, albeit having work still to do.

They're incomplete as goalkeepers, we know that, but so was De Gea when Fergie chucked him in the deep end repeatedly. Best way to learn, sometimes. 

3 hours ago, Rentaghost said:

He’s 33 that’s peak for a goalkeeper . He is also very injury prone and getting worse . His performances this season haven’t been good . 

What I don’t seem to understand is , the club obviously needs to raise funds and trim the wage bill . Westwood is an obvious choice to leave . He is on the slide and we have two younger cheaper keepers who are more than good enough on the books . It’s an obvious choice . We will be stuck with rubbish like abdi , Jones and fletcher but Westwood is one of the few we might have some interest in .

Think Westwood is our best GK, but in our current financial pickle is he a luxury we can afford to maintain with a diminishing asset value. I get the argument regarding GK age, but given he has missed almost all the season and had a few niggles in other seasons, not a given he will play into his late 30's at a high level.

The other argument is that would his return stifle the development of two good young GK's who have held the ship together this season, coped extremely well in the circumstances and evidenced development given a  run of games?

Add to that the potential to recover c£3-4m in transfer fee and wages saved if Westwood was sold, would help balance the budget a little, suggests that it may be a sound financial decision and with the longer term view in mind to develop Wildsmith and Dawson. 

Heart says Westwood for me. Though most fans are remembering his first two seasons when saying how good he is. This season when he played his shot stopping and distribution wasn't fantastic. Though to be fair his lower standards this season were only noticeable due to his previous form being utter incredible at times.

My head says given we're apparently close to our FFP limits I'd seriously consider selling Wetwood if we had an offer of 1m +. The fee and the wages saved in my view would allow us to strengthen another area more in need of investment.

On 26/04/2018 at 00:50, Morepork said:

So,in summary....he’s old and injury prone yet somehow has good value ,how’s that work ? 

As opposed to young (and english) with good prospects (like when Man City bought joe hart)

39 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

So,in summary....he’s old and injury prone yet somehow has good value ,how’s that work ? 

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make or why you'd run down one of our better players but I'll answer anyway.

At 33 he isn't old for a keeper, in fact, most would say he's approaching his prime and it would not be unreasonable to expect him to be at the top of his game for another 3-4 years minimum. With the exception of this season, he's made over 140 appearances for us in 4 seasons. I do not think you can brand him as injury prone on the basis of this season alone. Also, I would anticipate that most clubs would back themselves to manage a players fitness and risk of injury more effectively than Wednesday have this season.

39 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

As opposed to young (and english) with good prospects (like when Man City bought joe hart)

I have no idea what you mean by this in relation to my post.

On 27/04/2018 at 21:45, Morepork said:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make or why you'd run down one of our better players but I'll answer anyway.

At 33 he isn't old for a keeper, in fact, most would say he's approaching his prime and it would not be unreasonable to expect him to be at the top of his game for another 3-4 years minimum. With the exception of this season, he's made over 140 appearances for us in 4 seasons. I do not think you can brand him as injury prone on the basis of this season alone. Also, I would anticipate that most clubs would back themselves to manage a players fitness and risk of injury more effectively than Wednesday have this season.

I have no idea what you mean by this in relation to my post.

I mean that our younger prospects have a higher saleable value than Westwood (much like young hirst is worth more than hooper even though hoops is by far the better player)