Jon Newsome "I feel we can start the game with a better and higher tempo"

This season has been the year of our fans squealing like spoilt babies whenever an article is published, regardless of who the author is.

Forget cakeball, the anniversary, carlos getting booted out etc

This season has been the year that our fans started acting like little babies when they read any press articles or hearing any opinion on the radio from a pundit or commentator

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Article says something everyone is thinking
Article gets slammed

Probably because its obvious, something

more insightful would be welcome.

Guess he learns from that great investigative journalist.

The Dom.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Every fan has been saying this for two seasons!

Only Carlos and Jos don't see this!

Couldn't agree more.

With the right intent this squad is good enough to really push for Automatic (IF fit)

It's as if we try and be to clever for our own good or give too much respect.

Go at teams and the crowd will back them to the hilt. For 3 seasons the crowd has been dropping off for 45 minutes til we start playing

27 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He's not though.

He's just stating his opinion

The annoyance comes from the fact we all know this and knew it 2 years ago.

I doubt anyone is expecting ground breaking articles but you have to expect the responses to be less than appreciative of his views when they are old hat.

Granted they are still valid and yes we are still doing the same things but expand on it, give alternatives, reasons why and why not etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AwokenGiant said:

Or a lack of fitness! 

Said it before, slow starts are not due to fitness, its tactics. We try to keep it tight and feel our way into games, not condoning it, just pointing it out. Teams lacking fitness fade in games. 

12 minutes ago, torres said:

I doubt anyone is expecting ground breaking articles but you have to expect the responses to be less than appreciative of his views when they are old hat.

Granted they are still valid and yes we are still doing the same things but expand on it, give alternatives, reasons why and why not etc.

ie. critical thinking! 

On 4/13/2018 at 19:38, @owlstalk said:

Former Sheffield Wednesday defender and radio pundit Jon Newsome is calling for the same thing as all of us are wanting - for The Owls to start games at a furious pace instead of trotting out like some old geezers heading out from the old people's home to have a nice calm stroll around the garden

I can appreciate that you cannot just go hell for leather and throw caution to the wind but I also think that we had something to build on with recent results. We seem to have this incessant way of starting games slowly. We did it under Carlos Carvalhal and it seems to have carried on under Jos.

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/i-would-love-owls-to-start-a-game-playing-at-a-high-tempo-jon-newsome-s-sheffield-wednesday-column-1-9113536

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Former #SWFC defender Jon Newsome shares his thoughts in his latest Sheffield Star article

It may seem to be a really minor detail here especially in a game where we ran out comfortable winners but I feel we can start the game with a better and higher tempo. When we play with tempo and are positive we are a lot better outfit.

I am sure it isn’t just me that can see that if we score the first goal we visibly grow in confidence and on many occasions play far more positive and attacking football.

I would love us to stretch that oppositions back four early in he game, get them turned around and pin them in their own half. 

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/few-worse-insults-than-to-say-a-player-is-on-the-beach-jon-newsome-s-sheffield-wednesday-column-1-9133624

Neil, I totally agree that we should critique the content and not the author, but it's been less than a fortnight since he last said this.

15 minutes ago, torres said:

So what?

Just because some people say they knew it 2 years ago doesn't make it any more/less valid when someone says it out loud

It's not just this point anyway - literally any article or opinion these days gets expressed and everyone starts crying like babies about it

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Samurai Blue said:

Neil, I totally agree that we should critique the content and not the author, but it's been less than a fortnight since he last said this.

If you read the full article today the bit about starting games slowly is about 10% of the whole piece and just added in as additional thought on where we can improve

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

If you read the full article today the bit about starting games slowly is about 10% of the whole piece and just added in as additional thought on where we can improve

Fair enough mate. But in that case it seems strange that you went for the same angle as your headline. I had serious deja-vu until I realised it was a different article.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

So what?

Just because some people say they knew it 2 years ago doesn't make it any more/less valid when someone says it out loud

It's not just this point anyway - literally any article or opinion these days gets expressed and everyone starts crying like babies about it

It's because most local articles/journalism is as dull/obvious/pointless as this particular article.

If you give the article or others like it there own thread - then most of them are going to get panned  - simply because they are not very informative or well written or even interesting.

Just now, torres said:

It's because most local articles/journalism is as dull/obvious/pointless as this particular article.

If you give the article or others like it there own thread - then most of them are going to get panned  - simply because they are not very informative or well written or even interesting.

It's simply not true though

It's literally ANY opinion in an article or radio interview that gets panned these days

Sad times

Never thought Wednesday fans would turn into crybabies

Owlstalk Shop

Anyway, while I don't think there's actually much particularly incisive or analytical in the article, I did find his comment about Rhodes' runs being ignored interesting. We've often said on here how 'if only JR could get the service'. If he's making good runs that aren't being found, then you'd have to have sympathy with Rhodes and hope Jos can rectify that.

38 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Perhaps you should stop selective editing of JN's articles.

Either copy the entire piece, or just post the link.

You should know that most readers will just read the bit you quote, and that bit comes across quite negatively. Yet the entire article is positive.

The bit about starting a game with a better higher tempo follows a comment lamenting our right side defence (presumably Hunt) ignoring three good runs by Rhodes in the early phase of the match. Your editing takes the comment out of context. JN wasn't just stating the obvious, nor what has been said for two years; he was also saying "look for the runs of Rhodes and give him the ball early". This was as much about Rhodes as the team as a whole.