Top Assisting Centerbacks:

4 Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn)

4 Adedeji Oshilaja (Wimbledon)

3 Matthew Kilgallon (Bradford)
3 Jack Baldwin (Peterboro)
3 Max Ehmer (Gillingham)
3 Ryan Tafazolli (Peterboro)
Then guys on 2.

Mulgrew's had a few pens (which you still have to score btw). But even if you take those out he's still the top scoring centerback.

I don't think we should try and sign him right now.. but I don't see much value in bashing players just cos they aren't ours. He's had an exceptional season and been a big part of getting Blackburn promoted. Fair play to him.

Good player, yes we should have gone for him last season but  going forward I would be happy with resigning Pudil, signing Venancio on a permanent deal and developing the likes of Van Aken, Thornily, O'Grady, Nielson etc. 

if we persist with 3 at the back, look reasonably comfortable for options there with those 6 plus Lees and an option of Hutchinson dropping back if needed. A commanding centre back (not necessarily Mulgrew) would be nice, but we have to balance with developing our own talent and think budget could be best spent on midfield where we are desperately short of power, pace and creativity.

Edited by striker

14 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

Yes. Him and Harley dean were there for the taking but we bought van skin instead.

The same Mulgrew who went down with Rovers from the Championship and the same Harley Dean who’s been at struggling Birmingham all season. 

If we ‘want’ to improve then we need better than both. Not saying Van Aken is the answer, he’s not had a chance under Jos yet.

4 hours ago, cookeh said:

Top Scoring centerbacks in league one..

13 Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn)

7 Chey Dunkley (Wigan)

5 Dan Burn (Wigan)

5 Semi Ajayi (Rotherham)

5 Ash Taylor (Northampton)

Then guys on 4.

Top Assisting Centerbacks:

4 Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn)

4 Adedeji Oshilaja (Wimbledon)

3 Matthew Kilgallon (Bradford)
3 Jack Baldwin (Peterboro)
3 Max Ehmer (Gillingham)
3 Ryan Tafazolli (Peterboro)
Then guys on 2.

Mulgrew's had a few pens (which you still have to score btw). But even if you take those out he's still the top scoring centerback.

I don't think we should try and sign him right now.. but I don't see much value in bashing players just cos they aren't ours. He's had an exceptional season and been a big part of getting Blackburn promoted. Fair play to him.

He's buried 5 penalties this season, as well as scored at least 3 free kicks. 

Guest Jack the Hat
9 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

The same Mulgrew who went down with Rovers from the Championship and the same Harley Dean who’s been at struggling Birmingham all season. 

If we ‘want’ to improve then we need better than both. Not saying Van Aken is the answer, he’s not had a chance under Jos yet.

At the start of this season I would have liked to have signed one of them with their championship experience as an alternative to Loovans who has been past it for a while. Lees is NOT a leader and needs his hand holding - and cannot bring young players through ( look at the debacle when him and Van Aken played together) - and the only central defender with leadership qualities is Loovans. Either of those would have fitted the bill. Loovans has been diabolical this season and so has our defence which has lacked LEADERSHIP. Both of those players were loved by their fans last season - and I reckon they know more about them than you!! If you think that we wouldn't have benefitted from such a player this season then your eyes must be painted on. What has Mulgrew getting relegated got to do with anything - he's one player! Hirst, Sheridan, etc all got relegated from the top league - does that mean they weren't top players. Ditto Harley Dean.

12 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

At the start of this season I would have liked to have signed one of them with their championship experience as an alternative to Loovans who has been past it for a while. Lees is NOT a leader and needs his hand holding - and cannot bring young players through ( look at the debacle when him and Van Aken played together) - and the only central defender with leadership qualities is Loovans. Either of those would have fitted the bill. Loovans has been diabolical this season and so has our defence which has lacked LEADERSHIP. Both of those players were loved by their fans last season - and I reckon they know more about them than you!! If you think that we wouldn't have benefitted from such a player this season then your eyes must be painted on. What has Mulgrew getting relegated got to do with anything - he's one player! Hirst, Sheridan, etc all got relegated from the top league - does that mean they weren't top players. Ditto Harley Dean.

I agree that Lees isn’t vocal enough. As for Loovens he’s past it I agree. As for my eyes being painted on because I want better than Mulgrew and Dean then they must be. 

Oh and feel free to slate Van Aken for a handful of appearances in a new country under a new manager currently experiencing an injury crisis. 

Edited by Junk Smuggler

Guest Jack the Hat
57 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

I agree that Lees isn’t vocal enough. As for Loovens he’s past it I agree. As for my eyes being painted on because I want better than Mulgrew and Dean then they must be. 

Oh and feel free to slate Van Aken for a handful of appearances in a new country under a new manager currently experiencing an injury crisis. 

I haven't slated Van Aken merely pointed out that his partnership with Lees was a disaster. Maybe he will be ok at the left hand side of a back three. I want better than mulgrew and dean but at the start of the season we needed experience and leadership to replace loovens. Either of these and we would have had a better season. If you have a short memory just check out united fourth goal at hillsborough.

30 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

I haven't slated Van Aken merely pointed out that his partnership with Lees was a disaster. Maybe he will be ok at the left hand side of a back three. I want better than mulgrew and dean but at the start of the season we needed experience and leadership to replace loovens. Either of these and we would have had a better season. If you have a short memory just check out united fourth goal at hillsborough.

My memory is fine thank you.