Tom Lees

Barring the QPR debacle, the defence since he has returned has been a lot more assured and that shows in the recent results.

He's been pretty much back to his best for me since he came back in to the side. It shows just how much of a miss he was while he was out.

Also completely agree with what he's said this morning in The Star re. keeping Venancio and Pudil on: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/daniel-pudil-and-frederico-venancio-couldn-t-do-much-more-to-get-new-sheffield-wednesday-deal-1-9130833

Agree.

Surely the easiest decision Jos will make is to give Pudil a new deal, highly experienced, decent passer,not afraid of a tackle and gets stuck in, would be too expensive to replace him with a left footer who could come in and play in a back 3 as easily as he does.

I wonder what kind of fee Venancio would command? Either way i like him and hope he stays, i still would like another CB as VA doesn't fill me with confidence & Pudil isn't dependable for the whole season, if we could have options of Lees, Venancio,Van Aken, Pudil, Thorniley, Hutchinson + a new singing we'd be sorted.

Edited by Lionel Fessi
  • Like 1

Think they are best 3 defenders we have. However playing current formation stifles attacking intiative as we are playing 5 at back with protection in front of central defence. Think on whole defence is not good enough and we need improvements on what we have. Lees is only one I think capable of playing in a central defensive pair. I can not see us keeping current team shape next season, at best think it will be option if playing away against good attacking team who are doing well and we want to stifle them.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Agree.

Surely the easiest decision Jos will make is to give Pudil a new deal, highly experienced, decent passer,not afraid of a tackle and gets stuck in, would be too expensive to replace him with a left footer who could come in and play in a back 3 as easily as he does.

I wonder what kind of fee Venancio would command? Either way i like him and hope he stays, i still would like another CB as VA doesn't fill me with confidence & Pudil isn't dependable for the whole season, if we could have options of Lees, Venancio,Van Aken, Pudil, Thorniley, Hutchinson + a new singing we'd be sorted.

Fred at around a million is worth a pop...but if it’s £3m as some have quoted then it’s a no from me. 

2 hours ago, Kanye West said:

Barring the QPR debacle, the defence since he has returned has been a lot more assured and that shows in the recent results.

He's been pretty much back to his best for me since he came back in to the side. It shows just how much of a miss he was while he was out.

Also completely agree with what he's said this morning in The Star re. keeping Venancio and Pudil on: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/daniel-pudil-and-frederico-venancio-couldn-t-do-much-more-to-get-new-sheffield-wednesday-deal-1-9130833

Intersting that Venancio was injured just before the QPR game, shows how good he really is me thinks.

2 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Fred at around a million is worth a pop...but if it’s £3m as some have quoted then it’s a no from me. 

Think I read it was 2.7m but I might have imagined it.....either way, you do realise you get nothing for that kind of money don't you? It would be a yes from me.

9 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Could get better than Venancio for the quoted 2.7m IMO, if the price is nearer a million then I'd be tempted.

Yes I won’t be upset if we sign Venancio as he’s a good player, but you’d think there will be centre backs available on free transfers or loans in the summer.  for example Adarabioyo on loan from Man City would be great business for whoever gets him. 

Sol Bamba was a free transfer signing for Cardiff and would have been the big unit we need so hopefully there will be some bargains out there for us

Edited by Southie_Owl

10 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Yes I won’t be upset if we sign Venancio as he’s a good player, but you’d think there will be centre backs available on free transfers or loans in the summer.  for example Adarabioyo on loan from Man City would be great business for whoever gets him. 

Sol Bamba was a free transfer signing for Cardiff and would have been the big unit we need so hopefully there will be some bargains out there for us

Yes exactly, there are better free options than Venancio IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have a Dutch free transfer lined up already to replace him.

Guest Jack the Hat
3 hours ago, Quist said:

Think they are best 3 defenders we have. However playing current formation stifles attacking intiative as we are playing 5 at back with protection in front of central defence. Think on whole defence is not good enough and we need improvements on what we have. Lees is only one I think capable of playing in a central defensive pair. I can not see us keeping current team shape next season, at best think it will be option if playing away against good attacking team who are doing well and we want to stifle them.

Couldn't agree more. It really is that simple. How Carlos couldn't see this baffles me. Jos will tackle it hopefully.

1 hour ago, Morepork said:

Think I read it was 2.7m but I might have imagined it.....either way, you do realise you get nothing for that kind of money don't you? It would be a yes from me.

You don’t get much for £3m you are correct but I would like to think that if we were chucking £3m about, we would be looking at other options. 

Fred as been steady and he has improved considerably the more games he’s played but that’s all he as been steady. Not worth £3m IMO

55 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Agree on lees, but not sure about Pudil and Venancio. I’d look at the market, we can’t force change and keep all our current players.

Yeah completely agree regarding Lee's, he's absolutely vital for us. Pudil has really surprised me since switching to left centre back. He looks a lot better playing there for me. As a left back or left wing back he lacks the out and out pace and stamina to get up and down, but he looks the part as a left sided centre back. Not sure about Venancio though, looks like he can hit 40 yard cross field passes with no problem, but i'm not convinced about his defending yet, but it is early days i guess.....

Edited by Sticky belly

4 hours ago, Minton said:

The clause for us to buy Venancio is £2.6m.

Absolute steal at that price when you look at what a similar centre back has been going for

Not to mention the fact that you can't buy Venancio's professionalism and general attitude at ANY price.

A player that age either has it, or doesn't.

The vast, vast majority do not.

if venachio is going to cost 2.7 million then he wont be signing nearer 1.5 then yes . our accounts are scary ,we wont be making any signings apart from replacing players leaving ie loovens,wallace with a out of contract signing or loan ,fans need to realise that the mess carlos and chansiri ,advisers did is setting the club back until we get them all off our books and lessons learnt , remember next season we will still have jones 25k to pay abdi 35k fletcher 35k and so on these wages will and are going to have a huge drain on us going forward , in the future instead of getting 1 good signing in 10 like we did under carlos we need to get 9/10 right we just cant afford to do this again.