Would fans run on the pitch if there were no stewards?

If fans wanted to get on they will do. Not worth the ban really for celebrating the third goal in a dead rubber against Reading though.

There were riot police lined up in front of the Palace fans in 2010 - who just stood and watched as they ran past them onto the pitch sparking ugly scenes.

• Haha 1

Stewards are pretty much a waste of time

They are only used as they are a lot cheaper than having police in the ground and it covers the Club if anything happens

It's proved time and again across the country that they can do little to stop determined fans getting on the pitch

back in the day it was quite normal to go on pitch to celebrate a goal, did it many times

last time I did it was at Walsall on Boxing Day season we came up last, then it was on the website if you did it again you'd get banned so I haven't done it since lol 

I can see why they don't want you going on pitch but does my head in when jobsy stewards get involved & do whatever they can to stop fans & players celebrating together, get a life! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

back in the day it was quite normal to go on pitch to celebrate a goal, did it many times

last time I did it was at Walsall on Boxing Day season we came up last, then it was on the website if you did it again you'd get banned so I haven't done it since lol 

I can see why they don't want you going on pitch but does my head in when jobsy stewards get involved & do whatever they can to stop fans & players celebrating together, get a life! 

Anybody that goes on the pitch nowadays is a bell pipe! Stewards have a job to do and they generally do a great job. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alanharper said:

There were riot police lined up in front of the Palace fans in 2010 - who just stood and watched as they ran past them onto the pitch sparking ugly scenes.

I was ashamed to be a Wednesday fan that day, I think they were a bit dumb running on the pitch as they secured their safety but there were no need for that Wednesday fan to smash that woman in the face!

Was shocked at how little attention this incidence got, never heard anyone mention it depute it happening in front of 30,000 people.  Wasn't until a end of season review the following year in the Guardian I heard a journalist mention it in passing.

1 hour ago, gypsyowl said:

We always went on the pitch years back and it never seemed a big deal.

At the back end of the 84 season I think I went on the pitch six or seven times home and away

Times have changed but I think most would only run on of it mattered. Like a promotion run in or a win that's kept us up.

Doubt anyone would have bothered Saturday.

• Like 1

Difficult for stewards as they’re only doing the job they’re told and to fall in line with FA rules. If fans flooded the pitch regularly they’d probably get a right talking to so they can’t win either way. Some seem to have ideas above their station though.

Poor waif of a girl who’s the steward near me on the South wouldn’t be able to stop a paper bag from blowing onto the pitch, never mind a fan.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, torres said:

Any supporter that goes on the pitch is a complete clown!

It’s called passion. 

That game against Wycombe when we won promotion was such a great day and it’s brilliant to see supporters celebrating with players on the pitch.