Empty seats

When other clubs seem to be able to sit opposing supporters virtually next to each other, I feel embarrassed that the lower Leppings Lane end is virtually always completely empty, plus the bit in the corner, and now also the the first few vertical rows in the North.  Looks awful on TV.

Who is at risk of what?  Are we still in thrall to South Yorkshire Police for the events of 29 years ago?  When will the club move forwards and start some meaningful re-siting - opposition supporters in the lower Leppings any the very least, with ours up above?  Will make for better atmosphere, and look better to the outside world.

No doubt all been said before, but why not some action this close-season.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, hangonrose said:

When other clubs seem to be able to sit opposing supporters virtually next to each other, I feel embarrassed that the lower Leppings Lane end is virtually always completely empty, plus the bit in the corner, and now also the the first few vertical rows in the North.  Looks awful on TV.

Who is at risk of what?  Are we still in thrall to South Yorkshire Police for the events of 29 years ago?  When will the club move forwards and start some meaningful re-siting - opposition supporters in the lower Leppings any the very least, with ours up above?  Will make for better atmosphere, and look better to the outside world.

Syp would shut both clubs down if they could . Bone idle shambles of a farce . 

• Like 1

Back under Francis in the 90's he wanted the away fans in the triangle and home fans on leppings lane with another band making the ground as intimidating as possible. But the club were only bothered about getting money in.

I think if we tried it now SAG would pop poo it on safety ground. But if we start consistently getting 30,000+ then maybe we could look at it.

39 minutes ago, hangonrose said:

I am assuming you are talking about other clubs that have smaller grounds ergo less seats to fill....

A blight on the club and nothing that a few gates providing additional alternative escape routes could not sort out.

Its about being reasonable.

I still don't get why all clubs away fans are put up at the top though when the lower is empty, surely evacuation takes longer from the top tier?

Nothing will happen unfortunately until that stand is demolished.

Time and time again we as ask why we can't have normal segregation and use all areas of the West Stand.

Time and time again we are simply told, because.

Until our gates exceed 30K on a regular basis (so when we get in the prem), SYP and SAG aren't even going to wipe the dust off plans to start opening up the Lower Lep and NWC perminantly. 

55 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

It's a well known fact that the next comet to hit the planet will hit the lower lep

It will approach from the North West taking out the North West corner and the first block of the cantilever

For that reason, SAG deem it unsafe to open

I thought this was common knowledge

But would that mean we could claim through insurance and have a fancy new Leppings Lane built? 

2 hours ago, cross owl said:

Syp would shut both clubs down if they could . Bone idle shambles of a farce . 

SYP are completely incompetent . They couldnt organise a pi55 up in a brewery. They are not fit for purpose.  

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

It's a well known fact that the next comet to hit the planet will hit the lower lep

It will approach from the North West taking out the North West corner and the first block of the cantilever

For that reason, SAG deem it unsafe to open

I thought this was common knowledge

lol

3 hours ago, hangonrose said:

Didn't the club say in a previous steering committee meeting, that the club were in talks with SAG about seat closures and would take stronger action if a more reasonable approach couldn't be agreed.  Or did I imagine this?

1 hour ago, torres said:

There needs to be people willing to fill the seats before we all get on our high horse 

Reading have poor support and the part timers aren’t falling over themselves to come in 

True.

I noticed today that this year, for the first time for many many years, we are not even in the top 7 for average attendances in the Championship.

It doesn't appear just because we are 15th as 3 out of the top 7 are around or below us.

Edited by Flat Owl

5 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

True.

I noticed today that this year, for the first time for many many years, we are not even in the top 7 for average attendances in the Championship.

It doesn't appear just because we are 15th as 3 out of the top 7 are around or below us.

I think it’s a mainly due to the poor season, not helped by prices.

If we are winning non season ticket holders will come despite the price, if we are not winning they just are not that bothered 

Bolton at home for £20 proved it