Pair of strikers to start next season, reserve pair and pair to go

44 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I hope we don’t resort to playing a pair of strikers, apart from the odd occasion 

For me, it’s one up top, with attacking options in behind If we play with wing backs, we won’t need wingers, so we can have the creative players playing off a lone striker

Not without a huge influx of players. We have nowhere near enough goals in our side to play one striker. 

Strip out goals from our strikers this year and we would be in a big hole. Goals from our midfield and defence have been shockingly low. 

Unlike his predecessor I see Jos  showing a lot of flexibility in his selection. He seems to catch on very quickly to what’s needed.

Changing to 3 at the back probably saved our season and he did this as soon as he got the job, presumably after watching a few videos 

As for the strikers he played two in the 532 formation but this often left us in trouble out wide.

Tried to solve this with a 4231 at QPR but struggled defensively 

Soon as FF is up to speed goes to 343 and solves this problem getting two clean sheets including one against a Hull team scoring for fun against everybody else

I think he will want to get strong enough defensively to go with 4 at the back sometimes but think the lone striker with two wide very mobile attackers will stay as his preferred option.

It is how most teams play!

Edited by oldishowl

9 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Start 

Forestieri and Joao

Bench 

Hooper Winnal 

Jog on

Fletcher, Rhodes, Nuhiu 

Why keep a player in a squad who has not gelled into the club or his team members (if rumour is correct) ?

Personally I would take him back but put him through the grinder and I mean the grinder too... 

Why get rid of the main reason we are now going to play in this division next year ..

He is a loyal servant to the club .

Is a great deal more skilful than people give him credit for and he  deserves the number nine shirt next season ..

IMHO......

Like to see us play three up front. To be fair, I can’t see us having all these available all the time, so any talk of off-loading may be premature. Nuhiu has probably done enough with his JJ-esque turn around in form to get another contract. FF is showing what he can do as is jOwl. Can’t see us off loading JR’s as who would want him with the wages he would command plus the fee. GH is effectively gone. Hooper is an excellent player but injuries limit his involvement and GF is rapidly becoming a second Abdi.

At present we don't have an effective striking partnership. 

Nuihu and Rhodes must be discounted from the start. We can't get anywhere with them in the team. 

Above all its about supply. With zombies like Wallace and Boyd etc running the midfield it doesn't matter who is up front. 

9 hours ago, Mrmason69 said:

At present we don't have an effective striking partnership. 

Nuihu and Rhodes must be discounted from the start. We can't get anywhere with them in the team. 

Above all its about supply. With zombies like Wallace and Boyd etc running the midfield it doesn't matter who is up front. 

The Hooper-Fletcher and the Nuhiu-Joao partnerships have fabulous scoring records.

What's your definition of "effective"?

On 26/04/2018 at 12:47, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Like to see us play three up front. To be fair, I can’t see us having all these available all the time, so any talk of off-loading may be premature. Nuhiu has probably done enough with his JJ-esque turn around in form to get another contract. FF is showing what he can do as is jOwl. Can’t see us off loading JR’s as who would want him with the wages he would command plus the fee. GH is effectively gone. Hooper is an excellent player but injuries limit his involvement and GF is rapidly becoming a second Abdi.

Minutes played last 2 seasons:-

Hooper - 3539

Fletcher - 3408

Forestieri - 3111

How is it that Forestieri is showing what he can do, yet Hooper is finished and Fletcher is an Abdi?

I agree with your first point. I too like to see three up front, but I struggle to see Jos going for it often. 

Not sure what people mean by 3 up front.

If they mean 3 of our current “central” strikers then can’t see that happening. 

If they mean two our current “ central” strikers plus FF in some kind of withdrawn role then there is an outside chance that we might go to that chasing games late on but don’t see us starting that way

If they mean playing 3 like we did last week with FF and Reach playing off a lone striker then that has a lot more shape and balance but we probably need another FF to play instead of Reach as that is probably not Reach’s best position . You need somebody there who is going to score more goals than Reach.

Of course this is just the position for the Matias we thought we had in his first few games before we swapped him for his brother .

We have to have a system that means we can defend solidly but equally score enough goals.

• Like 1

our strikers have scored 38 goals so far this season ,if we had a pair who scored that many we'd all be drooling but because the goals are shared between 7 of them  it's considered we have a problem ........what difference does it make if we have 2 who score 20 or 6 who score 7 .

12 hours ago, oldishowl said:

Not sure what people mean by 3 up front.

If they mean 3 of our current “central” strikers then can’t see that happening. 

If they mean two our current “ central” strikers plus FF in some kind of withdrawn role then there is an outside chance that we might go to that chasing games late on but don’t see us starting that way

If they mean playing 3 like we did last week with FF and Reach playing off a lone striker then that has a lot more shape and balance but we probably need another FF to play instead of Reach as that is probably not Reach’s best position . You need somebody there who is going to score more goals than Reach.

Of course this is just the position for the Matias we thought we had in his first few games before we swapped him for his brother .

We have to have a system that means we can defend solidly but equally score enough goals.

If Matias could stay fit, he’d be the ideal third person in the system you suggest Big if though