Sunshine & good footie - great day all round!

Looked like confidence was building today. Looked like a team. Especially liked Rhodess' body language. Bodes well for next season if we can keep the key players.

PS - Feel sorry for Chesvegas fans, there but for the grace of god and all that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jakes Grandad said:

Don’t think Joss has worked the last few months put his mark on the squad, agree to stay and then have his best players sold.

Tend to agree, I have to believe there is a solid plan in place. I think we will do our utmost to clear out those without a future but I also think we'll fight to keep anyone Jos has identified as essential for next season, there is no point selling a player unless you've already identified a suitable replacement that improves you. I do not personally believe that our financial position will dictate all of our decisions.

All that said, on a personal level I won't shed a tear over any departure and a part of me is more excited by this closed season and transfer window than any previous one purely in the belief that Jos will sign strong characters with work ethic.... I hope.

48 minutes ago, Dot said:

sunshine yes...good footie no

I think the general consensus at half time was that we were bored shitless

Why?

Which match did you go to?  You should have gone to Hillsborough.  Forestieri alone was worth the entrance fee. 

10 hours ago, Jakes Grandad said:

Don’t think Joss has worked the last few months put his mark on the squad, agree to stay and then have his best players sold.

Do we need to sell the best players? - one or two, maybe.

The bottom third (performance wise) of the squad could do with a trim - Butters, Jones, Abdi, Loovens, Wallace, Palmer, Fox (who I actually like but don't 

see him as a wing-back or central defender if we play 3-5-2) and Fletcher would be the ones, ideally, to make way.

10 hours ago, Dot said:

First half I thought we were just doing enough and the urgency to open them up wasn't there.

Just having Rhodes on his own up top didn't help, he needed a permanent strike partner with him.

First home game for a lonnnnnnng time yesterday and only attended under horrific circumstances and as part of a "process" but at the same time embraced with the required enthusiasm and involving the attendance of my son who is a 6'4", 17 years old Piggytwat.

Anyway, the sun was shining, the drive there involved a beautiful moment in standing traffic on the Parkway and after driving around a little to look for parking, we opted for a dark corner of the KFC car park which worked out fine.

Went for a few drinks in the Hillsborough WMC and treated myself to two cheese and onion sarnies on very nice breadcakes with very strong onions before toddling off to the turnstiles with our complimentary tickets and entering the North Stand just in time for Hi Ho Sheffield Wednesday.

The first half highlights, in a game being played out in the spirit of a practice match on Wednesday's part and a team scared to lose on Reading's part, consisted of some poor parenting directly in front of me, trying to focus on Boyd just in case he actually decided to actually run around a bit at any stage and the goal.  I was also keen to both try and prove the existence of the Chilli Beef Pie during the break.  

I joined a no cash queue to buy my mate a pint and myself a hot chocolate and a caramel shortbread thingy which would act as my pudding after me then joining another no cash queue to buy pies, 2 of those that others said I was imagining and 2 chicken baltis for the boys.  

I received warning texts from my bank in Spain for high value purchases on my card being used in a foreign country.  I smiled to myself thinking of a Spainish computer swearing at clearing €26 for snacks and drinks which would pay for 3 x 3 course meals including drinks in the right place in my now home country.

I'd eaten my pudding already in the walk between kiosks and excitedly carried my pies in their colour coded foil holders back to the gang.  They had dispersed during the wait which led to me sneaking a quick ciggie before seeing Boyd both run a bit for the first time and score on a concourse tv with the picture quality of a channel run by a dictatorship in South America.

If the general dryness of the pies, for which I'm convinced health and safety laws play a part, symbolised the first half performance then the last mouthful of what should have been was the taste of the rest of the game.  We oozed juicyness, flavour and moistness in stages and and FF produced the spicy aftertaste.  The missing gravy was supplied by taking the p1ss out of sonofsonofbert2 as Birmingham took control of the grunters' faltering play-off push.

A short stroll to the Crown for a few more pints in the sunshiiiiine and some interesting pre-Owlerton fashion before returning to the car and heading home after as nice a day as it could have been.

Re. how it all looked inside the Theatre of Hope and Despair:

Our kit looked nice especially against their horrible offering, the scoreboard and funky hoardings are Premier League, the band still want shooting and the high pitched feedback reminded us we're not just quite there yet and the same for the much improved Jordan Rhodes.

It was good to be back and it was good that we went and thank you Wednesday for making a tough day a touch easier.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sonofbert2 said:

First home game for a lonnnnnnng time yesterday and only attended under horrific circumstances and as part of a "process" but at the same time embraced with the required enthusiasm and involving the attendance of my son who is a 6'4", 17 years old Piggytwat.

Anyway, the sun was shining, the drive there involved a beautiful moment in standing traffic on the Parkway and after driving around a little to look for parking, we opted for a dark corner of the KFC car park which worked out fine.

Went for a few drinks in the Hillsborough WMC and treated myself to two cheese and onion sarnies on very nice breadcakes with very strong onions before toddling off to the turnstiles with our complimentary tickets and entering the North Stand just in time for Hi Ho Sheffield Wednesday.

The first half highlights, in a game being played out in the spirit of a practice match on Wednesday's part and a team scared to lose on Reading's part, consisted of some poor parenting directly in front of me, trying to focus on Boyd just in case he actually decided to actually run around a bit at any stage and the goal.  I was also keen to both try and prove the existence of the Chilli Beef Pie during the break.  

I joined a no cash queue to buy my mate a pint and myself a hot chocolate and a caramel shortbread thingy which would act as my pudding after me then joining another no cash queue to buy pies, 2 of those that others said I was imagining and 2 chicken baltis for the boys.  

I received warning texts from my bank in Spain for high value purchases on my card being used in a foreign country.  I smiled to myself thinking of a Spainish computer swearing at clearing €26 for snacks and drinks which would pay for 3 x 3 course meals including drinks in the right place in my now home country.

I'd eaten my pudding already in the walk between kiosks and excitedly carried my pies in their colour coded foil holders back to the gang.  They had dispersed during the wait which led to me sneaking a quick ciggie before seeing Boyd both run a bit for the first time and score on a concourse tv with the picture quality of a channel run by a dictatorship in South America.

If the general dryness of the pies, for which I'm convinced health and safety laws play a part, symbolised the first half performance then the last mouthful of what should have been was the taste of the rest of the game.  We oozed juicyness, flavour and moistness in stages and and FF produced the spicy aftertaste.  The missing gravy was supplied by taking the p1ss out of sonofsonofbert2 as Birmingham took control of the grunters' faltering play-off push.

A short stroll to the Crown for a few more pints in the sunshiiiiine and some interesting pre-Owlerton fashion before returning to the car and heading home after as nice a day as it could have been.

Re. how it all looked inside the Theatre of Hope and Despair:

Our kit looked nice especially against their horrible offering, the scoreboard and funky hoardings are Premier League, the band still want shooting and the high pitched feedback reminded us we're not just quite there yet and the same for the much improved Jordan Rhodes.

It was good to be back and it was good that we went and thank you Wednesday for making a tough day a touch easier.

The KFC car park ?? Did you borrow Lichfield's satnav and end up in Hull lol 

FFS

Nice reading your post though.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Why?

Which match did you go to?  You should have gone to Hillsborough.  Forestieri alone was worth the entrance fee. 

I went to the game at Hillsborough mate as I always do

first half was boring, like a pre season kick about

got better in the second half

I think most people would agree

19 hours ago, bigsheff said:

First half was played like a friendly... understandable in a way with very little to play for for each team.

second half was much better.

I must disagree

nothing to play for for us.....hence the dire first 30 minutes

Reading though are still very much in a relegation fight, I was very surprised by them

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dot said:

Struggled to stay awake tbh

Set up initially to contain.

Yep booooooriiiing

As soon as the shackles were let off everything changed

Last couple of home games we've seen really positive substitutions late on too.

Be nice to see him have the confidence to let us play with swagger in the first half rather than like Irvine until we get in front.

Might be effective and I suppose that is all that counts to many but c'mon Jos, we are safe now let's let them play.