Guess the year for this one..

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Sheffield Wednesday vs Aston Villa.jpg

#SWFC vs Aston Villa at Hillsborough

The North Stand should help narrow it down

Looks like the pit tip and headstocks of Parsons Cross colliery behind the North stand.

PS. The linesman looks ideally placed to make any offside decision, doesn't he?

Saw an article about this game yonks ago,werent we bottom of the table at easter and still avoided the drop,won 6 of our last 8 games,that included 2 wins over spurs who got relegated and ended up 14th a point behind the scrubbers,with all the credit going to one Jimmy Seed who was inspirational during the run,

We took the title the following two seasons,almost did the double in 1929-30,won the league by a clear 10 points,(2 points for a win then) and lost to Hudders in the semi final 1-2,we finished 3rd the next 3 seasons

On 19/04/2018 at 09:50, fredmciverslovechild said:

I've seen that pic before and torryowl is absolutely right. It is from the last match of the 1927/28 season when we beat Villa 2-0 to avoid relegation and complete The Great Escape. We then went on to win the league the next two seasons.

I remember the caption said that the Villa player on the right standing just outside the area is Billy Walker who was Wednesday manager when we won the cup seven years later.

'I've seen that picture before, too. Many years ago in one of those "Looking back at Wednesday history" things that Morning Telegraph used to sometimes produce when we had done something worthy of celebration - but my memory was that it was identified as some time earlier than that - surprisingly close to the start of 20th century. Your account sounds pretty confident, though, which mine is not!

Love the way the centre half is chalking his boots on the penalty spot.

Discipline, my boys! Discipline!

Quite an assortment of hats on the South Stand terrace (I've seen some classic thirties pictures of Hillsborough where everybody seems to have a flat cap on - but that was the kop, I think) and it certainly looks like a spring match judging by the shadows - unless it's very early in the season.

Linesman looks like a miserable bsatard, doesn't he?!:laugh: