Remember this? Three MP's joined together to get #SWFC boss fired

4 hours ago, gypsyowl said:

Yep, I remember coventry away when they sent us down & at that exact moment Richards was on pitch at Old Trafford presenting Man Utd with the Prem Trophy

Richards left us in February 2000 so why wouldn't he? Part of his new job.

Most of us wanted him out so who cares what he was doing at the end of the season.

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I'd totally forgot about this one. What a situation to have a group of MP's clubbing together to issue a joint statement to get a football manager sacked! Here's the story...

Ministerial intervention into British sport reached a new level yesterday when David Blunkett headed a group of four Sheffield MPs calling for the immediate dismissal of the Sheffield Wednesday manager Danny Wilson.

Less than 24 hours after the home secretary, Jack Straw, ended the debate about Mike Tyson by granting the boxer permission to enter the country, the secretary of state for education and employment insisted that relegation-threatened Wednesday must act equally decisively to kick Wilson out of his job.

Even allowing for New Labour's obsession with football, it is unparalleled for a minister to mount such a public display of dissatisfaction on the running of a club.

Blunkett, along with three other Sheffield Labour MPs - Joe Ashton, Clive Betts and Bill Michie - has held talks with the investment group Char terhouse, which paid £15.6m for a 36% stake in Wednesday three years ago, over the company's future role in the club.

"It would seem to us that the club has virtually capitulated this season, started downsizing and is resigned to dropping down into the First Division," said Blunkett, in whose constituency Hillsborough stands.

"That is wrong. They should be trying everything they can to try and turn things around. I believe that this sort of situation would probably have been addressed back in November at most other Premiership clubs. We feel that it is necessary we intervene for two reasons - to lift and motivate the team and to re-engage the supporters.

Wilson declared himself to be more concerned with the timing of the MPs' comments rather than their message.

"I just think it is pathetic timing," he said. "I would have thought people of their stature would have known better. If they want to keep blasting their mouths off, I can't do anything about that. I've got broad shoulders."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2000/jan/15/newsstory.sport1

Amazing scenes!

lol

Labour MP's :carlosswfc:

2 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Losing 0-8 to a team at the bottom of the league,  and losing 2-4 to a team in the top four are entirely different.

You were only right about ONE of them IMO.

Carlos should have gone after the pig game 100% & I can’t see how I was proven wrong, however it’s been 23 degrees today & ive been in boozer all neet so don’t wanna argue mate I’ll respect your opinion 

2 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Richards left us in February 2000 so why wouldn't he? Part of his new job.

Most of us wanted him out so who cares what he was doing at the end of the season.

It was a long time ago I thought he was interim FA chairman whilst still our chairman but maybe am wrong, still a stinky flaps anyway 

6 hours ago, roaminowl said:

Wilson was seen as an up-and-coming manager at that time, after a reasonably successful period with Barnsley. I doubt very much that he would have joined as a No. 2.to anybody.

IMHO Wilson was a complete and utter No 2 :duntmatter:

FFS (copyright Costello ret. other FFS's are available)

Just now, cognacbarnowl said:

I wouldn't bin 'em just yet buddy. You'll never make as much dosh with modular tortoise hutches :duntmatter:

FFS

That deal fell through...he didn't want the the training wheel.. but it was a job lot.

Take your pick mate..and carry on a proud tradition.....FFS would suit you I think.

2 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

That deal fell through...he didn't want the the training wheel.. but it was a job lot.

Take your pick mate..and carry on a proud tradition.....FFS would suit you I think.

Shoulda told him that the tortoise had an automatic negging device hidden under its shell FFS. He'd have sn atched your hand off for it lol 

WYBMAPIITYWIM

On 18/04/2018 at 15:46, Weshallovercome said:

Shame the 3 MP's didn't get together before he was hired.

they actually thought they'd got the 'big i am' from the ding's.

i used to work with guy (who was well itk jokewellwise) and told me afterwards that wilson had contacted eric winstanley and asked him to come in as his number 2, as he didn't know who he could trust at hillsborough.

20 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Losing 0-8 to a team at the bottom of the league,  and losing 2-4 to a team in the top four are entirely different.

You were only right about ONE of them IMO.

yeah the one where you shamefully lose to your biggest neighbour on home territory by some considerable distance, then some unknown comes in, takes a depleted side to their place and blanks the b*stards.

both wilson and coco had lost the dressing room, in cokes' case, the reserve dressing room.

16 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

Used to love a good game of Joe Ashton bingo at public meetings.

Think you needed to get out less! 

3 minutes ago, vulva said:

These urchins are elected and paid to serve their constituents and country, not get involved with football. Idiots. Every single one of them. 

Yeah terrible aren't they! What do you get paid to do? Have you never uttered anything about football during work time?

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Yeah terrible aren't they! What do you get paid to do? Have you never uttered anything about football during work time?

These idiots were in positions of responsibility, effectively trying to get a man sacked. 

What manager a football club employs is nothing to do with them, and was a very cheap way to try and generate support for themselves. 

1 minute ago, vulva said:

These idiots were in positions of responsibility, effectively trying to get a man sacked. 

What manager a football club employs is nothing to do with them, and was a very cheap way to try and generate support for themselves. 

Politicians in pandering to public opinion to try and garner support, who'd have thunk it!

Half the politicians are effectively spending most of their time trying to get the other half sacked!