Remember this? Three MP's joined together to get #SWFC boss fired

I'd totally forgot about this one. What a situation to have a group of MP's clubbing together to issue a joint statement to get a football manager sacked! Here's the story...

Ministerial intervention into British sport reached a new level yesterday when David Blunkett headed a group of four Sheffield MPs calling for the immediate dismissal of the Sheffield Wednesday manager Danny Wilson.

Less than 24 hours after the home secretary, Jack Straw, ended the debate about Mike Tyson by granting the boxer permission to enter the country, the secretary of state for education and employment insisted that relegation-threatened Wednesday must act equally decisively to kick Wilson out of his job.

Even allowing for New Labour's obsession with football, it is unparalleled for a minister to mount such a public display of dissatisfaction on the running of a club.

Blunkett, along with three other Sheffield Labour MPs - Joe Ashton, Clive Betts and Bill Michie - has held talks with the investment group Char terhouse, which paid £15.6m for a 36% stake in Wednesday three years ago, over the company's future role in the club.

"It would seem to us that the club has virtually capitulated this season, started downsizing and is resigned to dropping down into the First Division," said Blunkett, in whose constituency Hillsborough stands.

"That is wrong. They should be trying everything they can to try and turn things around. I believe that this sort of situation would probably have been addressed back in November at most other Premiership clubs. We feel that it is necessary we intervene for two reasons - to lift and motivate the team and to re-engage the supporters.

Wilson declared himself to be more concerned with the timing of the MPs' comments rather than their message.

"I just think it is pathetic timing," he said. "I would have thought people of their stature would have known better. If they want to keep blasting their mouths off, I can't do anything about that. I've got broad shoulders."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2000/jan/15/newsstory.sport1

Amazing scenes!

lol

Owlstalk Shop

To be fair they were telling the truth which is a rarity in itself for politicians.

I seem to recall though it was more Joe Ashton leading the line rather than David Blunkett although that could be wrong.

I can understand why they did it, the fans had obviously been unhappy with the season and rightly so yet nothing was being done about it so people who were in the public eye at the time were basically voicing the fans opinions because there's more chance that their words would be heard. No different today to celebrity fans voicing their concerns about their club on twitter.

Whoever decided to not give big ron a new contract ruined our club

Wilson was under qualified & couldn't handle big personalities like Di Canio & Carbone

Atkinson would have built a team around them, we also had 2 of my favourite players of the later 90s in Alexandersson & Thome too, they left soon after arriving.

2 years with Big Ron would have got us challenging top half Premier League then Nigel Pearson would have took the reigns after already agreeing to be no2 for the 98/99 season under Big Ron

What could have been eh?

Nice one Dave Richards you absolute tail licker 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

After that 8-0, Wilson should have been refused a ride back on the team bus and told not to bother coming in on Monday.

I said same about carlos when walking out after Pigs debacle in September 

on both occasions I was right 

3 hours ago, gypsyowl said:

Whoever decided to not give big ron a new contract ruined our club

Wilson was under qualified & couldn't handle big personalities like Di Canio & Carbone

Atkinson would have built a team around them, we also had 2 of my favourite players of the later 90s in Alexandersson & Thome too, they left soon after arriving.

2 years with Big Ron would have got us challenging top half Premier League then Nigel Pearson would have took the reigns after already agreeing to be no2 for the 98/99 season under Big Ron

What could have been eh?

Nice one Dave Richards you absolute tail licker 

Couldn't agree more add on the fact Richards came across as an arrogant sod who put himself before the club.

We made a massive mistake that season we should have kept Big Ron on had Wilson come in as his No2 learn from him then take over when ready but Richard sacked Ron for what he did years earlier. If Big Ron had been kept on I don't think we would have gone down and we could have been in the premier league to know with a different history and maybe a few trophies to boot.

We shall never know.

25 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

Couldn't agree more add on the fact Richards came across as an arrogant sod who put himself before the club.

Yep, I remember coventry away when they sent us down & at that exact moment Richards was on pitch at Old Trafford presenting Man Utd with the Prem Trophy

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, room0035 said:

We made a massive mistake that season we should have kept Big Ron on had Wilson come in as his No2 learn from him then take over when ready but Richard sacked Ron for what he did years earlier. If Big Ron had been kept on I don't think we would have gone down and we could have been in the premier league to know with a different history and maybe a few trophies to boot.

We shall never know.

Wilson was seen as an up-and-coming manager at that time, after a reasonably successful period with Barnsley. I doubt very much that he would have joined as a No. 2.to anybody.

5 minutes ago, roaminowl said:

Wilson was seen as an up-and-coming manager at that time, after a reasonably successful period with Barnsley. I doubt very much that he would have joined as a No. 2.to anybody.

I know but we had an establish manager who the players respected replace by a relatively unknown who had one good season with Barnsley.

I think we missed a trick but i also know why it wa done, everytime the board wanted the fans on side the brought in an ex player as manager - I am just surprised Palmer never ended up or manager at one point.

8 hours ago, gypsyowl said:

I said same about carlos when walking out after Pigs debacle in September 

on both occasions I was right 

Losing 0-8 to a team at the bottom of the league,  and losing 2-4 to a team in the top four are entirely different.

You were only right about ONE of them IMO.

• Haha 1