was it? and why?

Yep 1965. Not really sure why though. My memory says there was more debate about the actual shade of blue to be used and the Sheffield Star and Green 'In championing the royal blue like Glasgow Rangers. It was really odd watching them play in those shirts, like now. Stripes back next year please.

34 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Yes, the change was made in 1965. Eric Taylor said at the time that he wanted a new look to blow away the cobwebs from the bribes scandal and they'd also found it impossible to get suitable striped shirts whilst away on tour.

With the all-white 1966 cup kit back then when there was a colour clash in a cup game both sides usually changed. It then got adopted as our lucky kit for the cup run, partly also because every tie was away; hence when we played the final we were quite happy to let Everton use their home kit.

Personally I hated it cos we basically looked like Leeds.

by 65 l**ds would barely be in white themselves, when did they switch?

26 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

Yep 1965. Not really sure why though. My memory says there was more debate about the actual shade of blue to be used and the Sheffield Star and Green 'In championing the royal blue like Glasgow Rangers. It was really odd watching them play in those shirts, like now. Stripes back next year please.

there was an early to mid 70's shirt with broad stripes on, you interested in that?

14 minutes ago, dnhc said:

there was an early to mid 70's shirt with broad stripes on, you interested in that?

No thanks, nor do I like the very thin stripes. I began watching Wednesday in 1963. I would prefer stripes no thicker than two and half inches, black shorts and total blue and white hoops around socks. That would do for me, but I guess everyone has their favourite variant.

• Like 1