was it? and why?

1 minute ago, dnhc said:

if that is so, did we also wear the all white fa cup kit in every round? or just if there was a colour clash?

Every round.  However apart from Newcastle, everybody we played had a blue and white kit.

Just now, Sham67 said:

Every round.  However apart from Newcastle, everybody we played had a blue and white kit.

yeah i've just watched the semi final v chelsea, cheers for that, guess were still waiting for someone to come up with reason for the strip change.

17 minutes ago, dnhc said:

just for the older guys this one, what year did we originally switch from blue and white stripes to the blue body with white sleeves (1965?) and why?

Don't know the exact year but I had one in junior school.

and a wooden desk with an inkwell pot, but we didn't use the inkwell pot, well only for bogeys :biggrin: 

• Haha 2

1965 to 1972 for the solid blue white sleeves.   Remember as a kid being told that that kit was "bad luck".. (probably because of '66 FA Cup and subsequent relegation)...  This season just compounds the theory about "bad luck"..

Of course the stripes haven't faired much better ... ;-)

The return to stripes in 73 also ushered in the classic logo - hopefully Chansiri will re-incorporate the logo in some way (but somehow doubt it)..

WAWAW

I was born in 65 and my first Wednesday shirt was the blue body and white sleeves number, with white round neck collar and cuffs - always good to have matching collar and cuffs, eh Lads -. No badge, no number, but I bloody loved that shirt. That is until my mum washed it, with something red near it in the washer and it turned the sleeves pink. I had a right ducky fit as I recall and i wasn't convinced by mum saying you can't really notice it / it's not too bad ETC. I decided after much thought to still put it in on and went to play footie with my mates. Big mistake, they proper ripped the p!!s out of me.....Bring back the stripes.

Edited by BDM4nil
Spelling mistake

2 hours ago, dnhc said:

just for the older guys this one, what year did we originally switch from blue and white stripes to the blue body with white sleeves (1965?) and why?

I wasn't around back then, but I assumed it was going to come back for the 150th this time last year. 

Likewise I assume that they changed in 65/66 in preparation for the centenary year in 67.

It's still in living memory that a shirt would last two years, so it seems entirely plausible. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, the change was made in 1965. Eric Taylor said at the time that he wanted a new look to blow away the cobwebs from the bribes scandal and they'd also found it impossible to get suitable striped shirts whilst away on tour.

With the all-white 1966 cup kit back then when there was a colour clash in a cup game both sides usually changed. It then got adopted as our lucky kit for the cup run, partly also because every tie was away; hence when we played the final we were quite happy to let Everton use their home kit.

Personally I hated it cos we basically looked like Leeds.

18 hours ago, Sham67 said:

No idea, but we changed at the start of the 65/66 season.

It's so we wouldn't clash with Everton in the Cup Final but was designed by the same person responsible for the black & white striped kit specifically designed for an away trip to Newcastle!

• Like 1